Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-10-2014, 10:18 AM   #1

On demand hot water

Am I the only one who struggles with the on demand hot water in our Jayco Greyhawk? We have tried suggestions found on line such as don't set the temp to high, start with hot water turned on all the way and then regulate with the cod water. Twice I have had some success with this method, not a hot shower just tepid but at least no blasts of freezing cold and then scalding hot. Any suggestions short of replacing it which was quoted at around $1000 plus possible need to replace and repaint the outside access door. Yikes
Smithkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:19 AM   #2

No, you are absolutely not the only one struggling with this water heater. There are other non-Jayco RV forums where these things are being panned for the problems getting them to work right. They are supposed to save propane and weight and perhaps they do. However, I'm suspicious that the real benefit to the RV industry is being less expensive than the good old fashioned reliable tank models.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:02 PM   #3

I was upset with this water heater after our first trip but now we love it. The dealer only showed us how to turn it on lol. Trick is shower hot water knob full on with water pump running. Then set heater dial to desired temp my take a minute or so to adjust. Then you should be set. Temp can be adjusted slightly with hot n cold water knobs after. Also make sure no one turns on the kitchen sink or flushes toilet while showering sudden loss of pressure will cause water to super heat then cool off. Once mastered though at the end of the night we can put all of our kids in tge shower one after another with out have to wait for water heater to recover
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:35 PM   #4

Greyhawk 01 , I'm assuming you are not hooked up to city water connection when you say you have the pump on , so does your method also work without the pump on ? I'm having the same hot/cold fluctuation issues Smithkl referred to.
Islandbum561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:16 PM   #5

Basically it doesn't make any difference to the instant water heater whether your on city water or the internal pump. The prime consideration is setting the temp control right. While it seems logical to think of setting at a medium to high level so you have hot water that doesn't apply here. Took me long enough and plenty of advice from this forum to grasp the notion that the instant water heater heats the water to a certain level, period! In other words the temp control is not affecting the temp of the hot water, it tells the water heater the temp of the water entering the heater. Cold incoming water means set the knob in the middle, icy incoming means set the knob at the high end. Realistically, most people are going to have cool incoming water and should set that knob at the low end. If the shower is too cold, turn the knob up, but just a little. The system is touchy and it is a trick to master it. All these problems would have been avoided if the owners manual for the water heater, the coach itself and the dealer reps doing the initial walk thru explained the system fully. There is no excuse for the superficial coverage in the manuals. Frankly I don't the the dealer's people understood the system any better than the customers. I don't blame the dealers for that.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:59 PM   #6

Forelyndogs ,Thanks for your input...I will play around with it some more and see if I can get it dialed in

Rick
Islandbum561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:30 PM   #7

Im hooked up to city water and i keep the water pump turned on so i get good pressure coming from the shower otherwise with the pump off the low pressure seems to allow the water to over heat then that trips the safety and you end up with cold water. So try it with the water pump on and see if that helps.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:55 PM   #8

the trick is no cold water faucet at all. if hot and cold turn you hot volume down a bit. they only heat so much water at a time. not hard with a bit of practice
greyhawk885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:40 PM   #9

I'm assuming we are talking about the "tankless" hot water heater. I have used mine and the trick is you can't have the tap on full you need to adjust so the hot water is floowing slow enough to heat up as it passes through the heater and far enough to the hot side of the tap to keep it warm. It took a couple of times tom get it, but still not the same as the tank heater type.
Marshmellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:35 PM   #10

I try to adjust the hot water to about half open and add cold till I see the volume increase. At this point, I adjust the hot down a bit to a comfortable level. I have found low volume to be plenty to rinse off with.
Also, My unit came with valves that took about 2 full turns to open all the way. I just replaced them with valves that take only a 1/2 turn for wide open. This is much better to blend the hot & cold.
Never have run out of hot water.
If you are plugged into 110 volts, use your gas and electric heating systems, together for quicker recoverey.
Hope this is helpful!
Pat
Jay Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:07 PM   #11

Just picked up our Precept 31 UL last Wednesday. Maiden trip over the weekend. We each had very comfortable showers and no extremes hot or cold. I was so skeptical of this system, I had it written into our contract that if we didn't like the system, the dealer would replace it with a 6 gallon tank heater. We're not going back to the old system now.
Our dial is set at the coldest setting and we modified the flow with the faucet therefore keeping the temp comfortable. Even with the hot faucet on full, no negative consequences. 4 showers and no complaints. I think the key is very slight changes at the faucet until you have the settings you want. But then, I am still experimenting.
I understand the earlier model had some problems. We have the updated model with a dial in the throne room.
Good luck, Darrell
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote