Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-13-2016, 04:22 AM   #1

Onan/Cummins Generator Fault Code 12

I did a search for this Code or sub Code 12 under a fault Code 03. Went to start generator for trip home around Thanksgiving and it would start and then immediately shut down and give the fault code. once we got north, didn't really need a/c, so just waited until we were set up to explore problem.

Looked up codes, called Dealer and they said it is a fault code causing over charging and must be dealt with by a Cummins/Onan certified dealership.

Tried to find someone in Central Florida that was mobile and certified. Basically, didn't exist. Strange to me, since there are so many generators on boats. Was told Warranty wouldn't pay for service call, but I wanted to investigate possibiity.

Anyway, we are up at O dark thirty and headed to Power South in Tampa to have it looked at today and will post results.

All is well.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 08:27 AM   #2

It's more likely a simple fuel delivery issue. Either not enough fuel in the motorhome tank (must be at least 1/4 full), leaking fuel line to the generator, clogged fuel filters, or failing fuel pump.

Many owners report such problems are not typically solved by Onan service or at least not in a timely, logical, manner.
It seems they never look for the simple obvious problems.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:45 PM   #3

Definitely check into fuel delivery. That sounds similar to a problem I had with mine. A fuel pump on Amazon for $30 and about an hour of your time might be all that's needed.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:44 AM   #4

OKAY, thank you guys for your insightful replies, I think. Yes, fuel and air are required to make any diesel engine run.

If you do the research on the trouble shooting Codes, a code 03 with a sub code 12 says that the inverter in the Cummins/ Onan Generator is over producing electricity for the system. All avenues of other reasons for the failure were investigated by myself and then with a call to our dealership Motor Homes 2 Go in Grand Rapids, Michigan and the conclusion was a Code 12 had to be resolved by a certified Cummins/Onan Dealership.

We spent yesterday morning with the Certified Professionals at Power South in Tampa. Very impressed with their professional and thorough attitude in researching the problem. They kept us informed at every step of the trouble shooting. We were there about 4 hours and left without the generator. It has been taken out to have a new inverter installed. Part was not onsite and had to be ordered. The part is expected to be in today and then it will be bench and load tested, before they call us to return and have it reinstalled into our Seneca.

Or it could be a low fuel or clogged filter problem.

Stay tuned.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 12-14-2016, 07:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
OKAY, thank you guys for your insightful replies, I think. Yes, fuel and air are required to make any diesel engine run.

If you do the research on the trouble shooting Codes, a code 03 with a sub code 12 says that the inverter in the Cummins/ Onan Generator is over producing electricity for the system. All avenues of other reasons for the failure were investigated by myself and then with a call to our dealership Motor Homes 2 Go in Grand Rapids, Michigan and the conclusion was a Code 12 had to be resolved by a certified Cummins/Onan Dealership.

We spent yesterday morning with the Certified Professionals at Power South in Tampa. Very impressed with their professional and thorough attitude in researching the problem. They kept us informed at every step of the trouble shooting. We were there about 4 hours and left without the generator. It has been taken out to have a new inverter installed. Part was not onsite and had to be ordered. The part is expected to be in today and then it will be bench and load tested, before they call us to return and have it reinstalled into our Seneca.

Or it could be a low fuel or clogged filter problem.

Stay tuned.
Glad we could help out. -My 'over charging' issue, as referenced by 03-12 code was solved by a faulty fuel pump. I guess we'll make sure to give better advice next time. -Gheez.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:49 PM   #6

Got the Generator reinstalled two days after it was removed. Having nothing bad to say about Power South. Great service, by very talented technicians! I'd highly recommend them.

Thought I'd copy the service order to offer assistance to any one searching a Code 03-12 on an Cummins/Onnan Gen Set. Ours is a 8HDKAK-1046N.

Complaint - 12/13/16 - Customer states that GenSet has a Code 12. States that GenSet will start but immediately shuts down. This has been going on for a few weeks.

Cause - 12/13/16 - Tried to start Genset. Genset would crank, start and immediately shutdown for a fault code 12 - inverter overvoltage, opened breaker to Genset and tried again. same results.
Genset will be removed to further troubleshoot.
Disconnected wiring, exhaust pipe and fuel lines. unbolted Genset and removed. Placed on bench and removed top cover. Connected shop battery and fuel lines. Started Genset and Genset shutdown for code 12. Disconnected stator and checked for shorts and opens. No shorts or opens. Rotor still has magnets in place. Will need new inverter.

Correction - 12/14/16 - Disconnected wiring and removed side covers. Removed inverter and installed new inverter. Reinstalled side covers and reconnected wiring. Connected shop battery and fuel tank. Started Genset,
measured volts and hertz 120VAC @ 60 HZ. Ready to reinstall in coach.

12/15/16 - Used Forklift to install Genset. Bolted in, reconnected fuel line, exhaust pipe and wiring. Started genset and applied Coach load. No leaks or problems. 121VAC @ 60.5HZ.

Power South of Tampa did this with minimum impact to us. We are living in the coach 1000 miles from our home in Illinois, while in Florida. We have a dog and a cat. We were impacted 4 hours on 12/13/16, besides our driving time. Power South made us and our critters comfortable in a customer lounge with a TV and in a comfortable, clean, environment. We were impacted 3 hours on 12/15/16 for the reinstall and testing at the same facility.

All the work was handled under warranty, except our drive time. Invoice says Onan Warranty. Not certain if resolved by Onan or Jayco. No idea of actual cost and who paid, but it wasn't us. Very satisfied with the service and the professionalism.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 12-15-2016, 06:49 PM   #7

Glad to hear they got it fixed.

Let us know if you continue to have problems.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 06:49 PM   #8

Sorry you had trouble, but glad you found a competent shop to handle this. Sounds like your experience went the way most of us hope it would. I wish that sort of positive experience happened more often.

I hope this isn't a common problem, I have the same genset!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
Got the Generator reinstalled two days after it was removed. Having nothing bad to say about Power South. Great service, by very talented technicians! I'd highly recommend them ...snip...
Power South of Tampa did this with minimum impact to us. We are living in the coach 1000 miles from our home in Illinois, while in Florida. We have a dog and a cat. We were impacted 4 hours on 12/13/16, besides our driving time. Power South made us and our critters comfortable in a customer lounge with a TV and in a comfortable, clean, environment. We were impacted 3 hours on 12/15/16 for the reinstall and testing at the same facility.

All the work was handled under warranty, except our drive time. Invoice says Onan Warranty. Not certain if resolved by Onan or Jayco. No idea of actual cost and who paid, but it wasn't us. Very satisfied with the service and the professionalism.
Awesome. And thanks for sharing the company name. I'll bet members of the JOF would seek them out if they have a generator problem, under warranty or not.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 07:16 PM   #10

Thank you for the kind words of support.

Before retirement, I ran a marina for the last 25 years and helped commission many sailboats of all sizes. I kind of look at this period of owning the Seneca, while under warranty, is like the first couple of years of boat ownership and the shake down cruises.

Like a new boat, these coaches are a large collection of gathered parts from many manufactures gathered together by Jayco. They are put together with the idea they will all work. Sometimes they do. Sometimes things need to be tweaked or replaced for another mass produced part.

I really doubt that Cummins/Onan bench tests each generator for lots of hours and then ask people to accept that as a ''new" unit. Our unit has 500 hours on it. It has been serviced correctly by us with filters and oil and always plenty of proper fuel. Now, after 500 hours, it has been bench tested and tweaked. I really think that is a good thing. I have a strong level of confidence it will continue to serve us well. History says it should be good for about 10,000 hours, but the next 5,000 will probably be better than the second 5,000. And if cared for properly, maybe a third 5,000. If you want to make a generator have a short life, don't use it much and never often.

By the way, that brand new sailboat that just went in the water for the first time and is the owner's pride and joy. Has gotta be watched close for the first couple of days, weeks and months. They'll sink like a rock. That 5 year old boat, that has been rockin out there in the middle of the marina for all those years, not so much. Most all of the kinks have been worked out, and if the owner was paying attention to the maintenance, is good for many more years of service. Still to be watched, but there is a level of confidence.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse