Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-04-2015, 06:08 PM   #1

Our 31FS

I just wanted to share my diy upgrades to my new motorhome. I've learned a lot in the few weeks I've been cruising these boards and would like to give back. This Friday will be our maiden voyage and I have been trying to foresee any issues I might have. I like pics so there will be a lot.

I don't really see myself using an outside tv often but thought it would be convenient anyway. I had an old lcd flat screen I wasn't using so I got tinkering.

The tv just slides out and tilts up and swivels to any viewing angle. I do see myself relaxing in my hammock with a beer watching it while I baby sit the smoker .
Old 03-04-2015, 06:17 PM   #2

Next is my outside lighting. I wanted something to light up the camping side without bothering anyone else around us. I actually have these all over my house as well!

They are rgb, I can change them to any color I want. I know, I'm such a child.

The biggest problem with the 31FS is the lack of outside storage for bigger items. I bought a cargo carrier that I'm going to build a chuck box to go in as well as my grill, smoker and lawn chairs. I screwed some d rings to the top bunk so I can run bungy cords around things like my sons stroller.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:25 PM   #3

Just a silverware divider I put together with some scrap maple.

I took the bottom of the couch off and put hinges on it. Now I can just lift it up and use all that space under the couch. You can pull the couch halfway up to access it as well. Its just easier with the hinges.

Xbox . I put a surge protector on the inverter powered outlet. There's a blu ray player there as well.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:29 PM   #4

Very Nice.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Flat towing a 2008 Miata.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:20 AM   #5

Love the idea of hinges on the kick panel on the front of the couch. Will steal that one for sure.

Visited in our 2011 Greyhawk 31DS
busguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by busguy View Post
Love the idea of hinges on the kick panel on the front of the couch. Will steal that one for sure.
I found that hanging it a little bit lower than its original position kept it from binding against the seat cushion. Just get wider hinges to allow for the adjustment.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:59 AM   #7

These mods are great. Thanks for sharing. How did you do the lights? Are they hard wired in? Are they just "plugged" in? Do you have a link on where to get them? Thx
2014 Jayco Jay Feather X23B-"Glampy"(Sold)
DW, DS, DDx2, and Bandit & Fletcher
Bikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:52 AM   #8

I get the lights from amazon.
Amazon.com: TaoTronics® RGB SMD Led Strip Light Kit(TT-SL001, 16.4ft, 150 LEDS, 24K remote & 60w Power Supply, Waterproof): Home Improvement

The power supply runs 12v on the controller side. All you do is separate the ac adapter and use the positive and neg wires. I believe I took a reference pic, I'll look. From there you have many options for hook up. You can pull power from the exterior lights so they come on with that switch. I chose to wire them to a constant power source so I can use the outside lights and led's independently.

I found a constant power under the steps. It was an orange wire not hooked up to anything. It wasn't even capped. Just hanging out there with constant 12v going to it. Big fail for whoever installed those steps.

I mounted the lights themselves to a piece of 3/4 aluminum L. That is screwed to the inner wall just in front of the edge so the lights shine downward. I put big gobs of silicone over them because I don't trust the adhesive back to last in the elements. You can't see the actual lights unless you crawled under the rv.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:04 AM   #9

Found the pic of the power supply. The blue wire is neg and the reddish one is pos.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:12 PM   #10

Great looking mods
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:40 PM   #11

Great mods. Especially the kick panel. Just watch you dont run your heater when your TV is deployed and the door up against the heater exhaust...
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Arvee View Post
Great mods. Especially the kick panel. Just watch you dont run your heater when your TV is deployed and the door up against the heater exhaust...
I'm going to try to get in the habit of lowering the door behind the tv after its out in position. This should avoid the "I burned a hole in the door" mod.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:24 PM   #13

Kurv, do you have any pics of the underside mounting of the power supply, the wire you took power off of, and how you ran the rope? I've now been instructed by the DW to make this mod happen after I showed it to her. . Thanks!!!
2014 Jayco Jay Feather X23B-"Glampy"(Sold)
DW, DS, DDx2, and Bandit & Fletcher
Bikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:40 PM   #14

SWEET !!

My next project is to build a extension for the Jack Knife sofa so that adults (not just figets) can sleep on it. (those over 4 ft tall) . Want to make it so that it folds and I possibly can put it in the storage area under the sofa.

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:23 PM   #15

Great idea on the TV! What brackets and mount did you use? What size TV? Thanks!
vrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:08 AM   #16

Will you be travelling with the tv in the storage unit? Or will it be stored in the motorhome (I'm thinking bumping etc as you drive)
CanucksVenturingSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:38 AM   #17

Traveling, looks like it's well secured. The bracket is the unknown.
vrunner is offline   Reply With Quote