Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-02-2011, 08:23 AM   #1

Our new 29D

Pick up next Friday............ can't wait!
Attached Thumbnails
TOM_BELLOWS_002.jpg  
Tom Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:30 PM   #2

Tom: Comgratulations on your purchase of a 29D. I visited the Jayco plant in May and "drooled" at the sight of the 29D. A very nice motorhome. Returned home and secured a trade-in value on my 2010 Precept. Dealer wanted $24,000.00 difference and way to much depreciation loss. So I have decided to keep my unit and continue to enjoy it. I "heard" an unconfirmed statement that the 2012 has more exterior storage than the 2011. The limited exterior storage was a concern to me. Enjoy your motorhome. You made an excellent choice in the 29D.
001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #3

Thanks... we can't wait to hit the road..... oh, maybe not "hit" but
''get" on the road.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:59 AM   #4

I got my 29D last year and love it. It has been pretty flawless.
bass n bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:13 AM   #5

On our way tomorrow to pick-up. Going to be a sleepless night.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:35 PM   #6

Perhaps you can post some pictures of the inside... I'd love to see what it looks like.
KathyDiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:06 PM   #7

How do you get to the TV?

Just got home from picking up our Melbourne 29D. Anyone know how to access the Jensen TV in the cabover entertainment center? It appears the panel holding it in is screwed in and the wooden caps hiding the screws appear to be glued in.

I want to get to the HDMI jack so we can view photographns on the big TV. No problems w/ the little one in the bedroom; it swivels out.

I'm also a newbie with motorhomes; we have upgraded from a fifth wheel towhauler. The question is about a spare tire. No spare came with the 29D but there is room underneath behing the rear axel. Should I get one put in?

Bob in Houston
Travlr45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:56 AM   #8

On ours, an '08 29D, there is a long hex wrench type tool that unscrews the television from the bracket from the bottom of the bracket behind the television. Then, one lifts the television vertically for a few inches to slide it off the bracket. This is the process done to move the television from inside to outside the coach. With the television still on the bracket, it is awfully hard to get my fat fingers in to all the wiring plug-ins for surround sound, HDMI, etc. Hope this helps.
Flytyer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:08 PM   #9
Site Team

Good luck and congrats on the new motorhome, Tom.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:10 AM   #10

To remove the Jensen TV you must first pull the small cosmetic wood plugs out (They are not glued), then take the 4 wood screws out that holds the wood frame. After removing the frame you will see how easy it is to attend to wires etc....PS: I suggest at the same time to move the 2 way cable splitter to the outside (drill a small 1" hole in top right Receiver cupboard is perfect). You can then run HDMI cables;etc without having to re-enter the cabover area again.....Be careful when working with the wood screws that hold everything together as they are screwed straight into soft wood... I did a complete TV re-splitting after this and now can have any signal directed to the other TV's without any problems.
Best of luck.
Dave A
Bluejayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:10 PM   #11

My 2011 29D's JENSEN tv has the av plugs on the front panel (in view). Although the wood trime is to high for the remote to work. Have reported that to Jayco.
No spare tire on mine either. When I ask the dealer I was told "you don't want to attempt to change a tire on an rv". Who knows!
My big questions is "in-motion sat system". Advertised as in-motion but the screen says it's against the law to show the screeen while driving. As soon as I put in "drive" the tv shuts off. Anyone have a work around for this. I really don't to run cords all over the place.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:17 PM   #12

Dave; I just drove my new 29D home from the dealer (620 miles). I love the Melbourne and our 29D. I was VERY disappointed in the in-motion sat system option I ordered. I was told it would not work while driving (by law). If I had know this when ordering I would not have gotten it. If the tv is on when you put in drive, the tv shuts off. Don't know why this is an issue. The driver can not see the screen anyway. I got the system for my grandkids to watch while moving.
Is there a work around?
Old 06-15-2011, 07:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Copeland View Post
Dave; I just drove my new 29D home from the dealer (620 miles). I love the Melbourne and our 29D. I was VERY disappointed in the in-motion sat system option I ordered. I was told it would not work while driving (by law). If I had know this when ordering I would not have gotten it. If the tv is on when you put in drive, the tv shuts off. Don't know why this is an issue. The driver can not see the screen anyway. I got the system for my grandkids to watch while moving.
Is there a work around?
Congrats on new Motorhome. I have a jayco330 tt myself but my parents have a Coachman 36ft motorhome.
There TV also cut off when put into gear. It was a simple fix though. On there motorhome the TV was plugged into a device that when the Ignition was cut on it would cut the power to the Tv. It looked like a power strip. All that was needed, unplug Tv from device, Unplug device from 120v source, plug Tv directly into 120v source. Tv now works when Motorhome is running.
Not sure if yours is wired like this but worth a look see.
Let us know if this helps.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:04 PM   #14

Will check it out in the am. Might have to remove the tv to view. There's no plugs in the cabnet area you can see.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:31 AM   #15

Smile

Tom: Regarding the spare tire issue, I also was faced with the absence of a spare tire on my Jayco Precept. Easy to remedy! The 29D has a hitch receiver. I had a welding shop fabricate a very simple "L" shape 2" x 2" tubular tire mount. It has a horizontal cross piece with two bolts welded to this piece. The rim holes fit over the bolts and plain old nuts with lock washers secure the rim/tire to the horizontal piece. Cost me $97.00 labor/material. I caution you on one area which may haunt you in the future. By placing the "L" mount in the hitch receiver, you cannot use the hitch to tow a trailer, etc. I am currently in the process of having to refabricate my tire mount, due to having recently purchased a car trailer and have no manner in which to insert the hitch into the receiver.

IF you fabricate this tire mount and want to use a locking lug nut, sucj as McGard brand, etc., you must select the correct bolt size and thread style for the two mounting bolts to secure tire/rim. Just go to the McGard.com website and pick a locking lug nut, then secure the appropriate bolts size/thread pattern from a hardware store, etc. My welder wouldn't use the bolts I brought to his shop and now I have to use a steel cable with vinyl covering and a padlock to secure the tire from theft.

The simplest way to overcome this spare tire issue is to use a "hitch extender" tube. Readily available at Camping World, E-Trailer, etc. I intend to use the hitch extender of an appropriate length and weld the vertical tube of the current "L" shape spare tire rack to the top of the hitch extender tube. I have an excellent welder in my area who knows how to support this weight of a spare tire.

This proposed alteration will then result in allowing me to also tow a vehicle and still maintain custody of a spare tire.

I agree with the dealer that changing a tire, especially rear, on a 29D is a challenge. The clearance to gain access to a jacking point will be very dangerous to you. That is why I maintain a spare tire to provide to a tow truck operator. A Road Assistance plan is always maintained by me for this service and additional roadside service. I doubt that many tow truck operators will attempt to break a tire off the rim to repair a leak.

Good Year Tire does have a nationwide commercial tire repair service. They have an 800 number you call and provide your geographic location. Good Year then determines what service company to dispatch and repair the tire on location. I am sure it is expensive, but have never confirmed their fee's. Call a Good Year dealer for this nationwide number.

Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

PS: Curt Manufacturing offers a hitch mount spare tire carrier. I did not like the style, i.e. tire/rim angled on mount and also the strength of the mount. A lot of stress is created on the mount by the tire weight when in motion.
001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:33 AM   #16

Hi Tom, My 2010 29D came with a spare tire (Full size) factory tucked in under the rear area. I would think that all that is missing is the Tire as there is a location just for the spare (unless they changed it in 2011)....Check with Jayco or the dealer.

As far as the trim partially blocking the sensor on the TV, mine is the same and my remote works just fine by pointing it at the ceiling area just above the TV... Works great for me.

Enjoy your new MH.
Dave A
Bluejayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:44 AM   #17

Nope, no spare. Go figure!
Tried the remote. Did not work. Looks like the tv in 1/2-1 inch to low in the frame. Will address with Jayco.
Thanks for your help. Any other hits on the 29D would be appriciated!
We are headed out for a 1,300 mile trip in two weeks.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:46 AM   #18

Took a look. Did not see any kind of "device" unless it's behind the wall or tv.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:13 PM   #19

This sounds like what I need to do BUT need a little more information.
I'm not an electrican by any means. I took the front panel off but there's no room to even get my hand behind the tv much less with any kind of tool (as somwone else mentioned).
We have received our in-motion receiver and need to hook that up also.
Also, do you know where the forward slide out gears are. Found the rear under the bed but can't seem to locate the two forward.
Any help would be appriciated.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:25 PM   #20

Started the project of installing the Dish network receiver. Found out how to remove the tv. You won't believe what you have to go through to get to all the STUFF behind the tv. Only had to drill one 1'' hole for the cords. Out of the way so you can't see it. I can't believe how the front cabinet is designed or engineered. Who ever did this does not drive or own a rv that's for sure. It sure could have been a simple job turned VERY hard. Will continue tomorrow with putting the tv back in. Hope to be finished for our first long trip next Sunday.

« Control Panel | 29d »