Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-23-2016, 09:16 AM   #1

Out of winter storage... now what?

As somewhat newbie RV'ers, we are anxiously awaiting the day that we pickup our RV for the 2016 season... hopefully mid-March sometime. It's been in 'cold storage' here in Chicago area since November. Obviously we need to de-winterize the plumbing, but what other annual pre-season maintenance/checks do you all (seasoned RV owners) recommend? Our unit is nearly new (2015 Greyhawk purchased back in August), so I would guess not too much to check?
2017 Ford Edge w/Blue Ox Setup
To Yosemite... and Beyond!
MrJackSprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:47 AM   #2

I would check seals on windows and slides, caulking, tires, and roof condition. Being that your camper is newer you may not have issues with any of these but always good to check even throughout the camping season.
2015 F250 Lariat 6.7 diesel
Camping_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:25 AM   #3

My list of "to do's" could actually be quite lengthy, but I shall try to condense!

Obviously the regular automotive chassis items need to be checked, tires, fluids, etc. Newer unit, you should be pretty good.

You mention de-winterizing the pumbing, but you need to also sanitize and inspect the entire water system. Pressurize it with your pump and make sure it holds pressure without frequent pump cycling. Frequent cycling could indicate a small (hidden) leak. Put some (clean) water in both the black and gray tanks and remove the outlet cap to make sure the dump valves are not leaking through. Better to determine they are holding with clean water than not! Make sure you have all the items necessary to connect to the camp sewer. Lots of options there to consider. One thing I have heard is that if your unit still has the Jayco-supplied sewer hose you probably will want to upgrade.

Also make sure you have everything you need to hook up at camp electrically including a 30 to 20/15-amp adapter, and I highly recommend a surge protector. You might also consider a 30-amp extension cord. Some sites you may need one. For the generator I would suggest digging out its manual and following those instructions. More info there than I could relate here I'm certain.

Make sure you have a good potable water hose (or two). I also recommend a quality pressure regulator to protect your plumbing. I also carry a separate hose to use for my blank tank flusher, it is gray in color so I never mix it up with my drinking water hoses. You may want to obtain a spare filter element for your water filter.

Check operation of hot water heater, I believe a '15 GH has the tankless Girard. Make sure you are acquainted with the proper operation of a tankless heater since they can be quite "finicky".

Make sure refrigerator cools on both gas and electric modes. Will take some time to verify both modes. Proper flame (in the gas mode) should be visually verified.

Make sure all stove burners light and burn with a (mostly) blue flame.

Make sure your coach and chassis batteries are all in good shape, a load test would be ideal. If the coach sat in freezing weather with dead batteries they could have also frozen which will greatly reduce their life.

If your unit has levelers make sure you inspect and test the system. If yours does, I suggest digging out the leveler's manual for more detailed instructions than I can give here. If no levelers, make sure you have sufficient blocks to allow you to level the coach at uneven sites.

Make sure slides move in and out smoothly and evenly. Inspect the seals to make sure none are missing or damaged.

Check the roof for obvious deficiencies and damage. Check skylight covers, A/C unit shroud and antenna for damage.

And so much more............

Perhaps the best suggestion I can offer is to find a place close to home to actually camp for a few days. Try everything out in an environment where help and supplies are close and familiar. That way you can also ensure you all the needed "stuff" to make and break camp.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 01:59 PM   #4

MrJackSprat, thank you for thinking ahead on this subject. Others will read this thread and Rob is so right on. He mentioned several times reading the manuals to reacquaint yourself with the various systems........great advise.
Think of it as being your very first day of ownership.......start all over again and the operations will come back to you quickly.
Do you have a self made "list" you follow when preparing for a trip, setting up in a CG or breaking camp? A "list" makes it easier to remember everything.
Have you run your generator at least once a month for a minimum of 2 hours?
Was your unit outside or inside storage? Outside receives more harsh elements.
Tires are always an important component so make sure all 6 are aired to proper psi. If you had them covered in storage.....good for you.
Happy days are ahead.
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 04:00 PM   #5

Driveway camp out to make sure it all works before miles from home.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote