Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-02-2015, 06:49 PM   #1

Overhead Bunk - how do you guys make the bed?

The Mrs. was wondering how you guys prepare the overhead bunk for actual sleeping? I have two little girls that will be sleeping up there soon.

We're moving on from the bunkhouse model I currently have - so her question was a good one (at least to me).

I know this isn't a particularly manly question.

But you know; gotta keep the Mrs. happy right?
Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:32 PM   #2

Its a pain in the butt, but we climb up and make the bunks just like any other bed. When/if we have adult guests, we let them sleep on the sheets and like normal. When the kids are sleeping there, we throw the sleeping bags up and they use those.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:08 PM   #3

How old are the kids? My 7 year old will put the fitted sheet on with some directions. If I do it, I pull the mattress off, put the fitted sheet on and put the mattress back. The kids don't use a top sheet, just a blanket for cover.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
How old are the kids? My 7 year old will put the fitted sheet on with some directions. If I do it, I pull the mattress off, put the fitted sheet on and put the mattress back. The kids don't use a top sheet, just a blanket for cover.
This is how I do it too. Sometimes even in the bottom bunk. Those mattresses don't weigh anything and getting them out or down where you can work with them makes it SO much easier. Then you just toss the mattress back where it goes and add whatever bedding you're going to add. Easier than pie!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
The Mrs. was wondering how you guys prepare the overhead bunk for actual sleeping? I have two little girls that will be sleeping up there soon.

We're moving on from the bunkhouse model I currently have - so her question was a good one (at least to me).

I know this isn't a particularly manly question.

But you know; gotta keep the Mrs. happy right?
-----------------------------------------

Ahhhhhh......... Isn't that what grand kids are for?

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:42 AM   #6

We use child labor. It's their bed, they get to make it.
They spread out a thick blanket on the bottom, a sheet, and their blankets from home to cover up with. It's their "chore" when we stop to get all their stuff ready.

Their other "chore" is they are the all time pushers of that little cable/antenna button that resides behind the big TV.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 04:52 PM   #7

My girls are 7 & 9 but closer to 8 & 10. I will pass this along to DW. Thanks all.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:57 PM   #8

Travasak from Camping World. Glorified sleeping bag with removable sheets for easy washing. Top and bottom of bag are different quilted weights creating a "summer" side and "winter" side.

Had one for years for cabover bunk in last Class C and moved it to our new unit. Spread it back out after waking up and bed is made!
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
Travasak from Camping World. Glorified sleeping bag with removable sheets for easy washing. Top and bottom of bag are different quilted weights creating a "summer" side and "winter" side.

Had one for years for cabover bunk in last Class C and moved it to our new unit. Spread it back out after waking up and bed is made!
Travasak unfortunately went out of business. There is an alternative vendor, but queen is close to $300! However, this isn't rocket science - try making one OR create a sheet sack (with Velcro or tie-downs) for under a quilt or sleeping bag.

FYI, like others, DH pulls off the mattress (that is already in a mattress protector) and puts on a fitted sheet, then shoves it back into the bunkhouse. We toss the person's unzipped sleeping bag or quilt on top - making it easy to launder later.
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 05:26 AM   #10

You guys pull off the mattress, but aren't they all two piece matresses?
Old 07-04-2015, 06:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post

LookS like 'Superbed' is the only game in town now for that type of solution. My girls would never share a queen setup so I'm looking at close to $600 for bedding !

Maybe if they ran a deal ....
Old 07-04-2015, 07:26 AM   #12

Funny, I just bought a new Travasak at CW just weeks ago, along with another set of sheets for that one and the new one. Maybe they have a new source or plenty of New Old Stock. But it appears to be exactly like the one we have had for several years and used in our prior MH.

Speaking of RV Superbag, we also bought one of their bedspread bags for our master bedroom. We HATED the Jayco-supplied bedspread so we wanted something we could sleep in and leave on the bed. We are very happy we called to order, there are many options they can walk you through that you can't see online. We ended up going with same fabric both sides, extended skirt both sides, matching shams, and upgraded sheets. Cost $650, but the DW loves it. 30 seconds after getting up the bed can look perfect. And the bag goes with our decor very well. It appears to be put together very nicely and it is "Made in USA"!
Attached Thumbnails
RVKingBClassicDec-13.jpg  
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:32 AM   #13

Like the enclosed bedding? Check Amazon for (1) sleeping bag liners, (2) travel sheets, or (3) silk sleep sacks (I used these in my hosteling days, very compact and weigh nothing). However, not so good if you like kicking-off the top covers.

Personally, because we use duvets at home, in the TT we purchase from Amazon very lightweight (dry fast in laundermat) and cost-effective sheet sets in brown or beige (don't show campground dirt as much) and bed clips to attach them to summer or winter comforters. Perfect!

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:49 PM   #14

I think some answers are referring to regular bunks. For the overhead, we just throw sleeping bag up there
Greyhawk Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:09 AM   #15

I think there are two lines of thought on this subject emerging; costly, matching, perfect vs. quick, simple and affordable. Like anything else in RV's you can throw as much money at it as you desire to. We choose to 1. Protect the stock mattress padded sections and 2. have a child deployable system of sheets, blankets, etc. None of the sheets in our RV match. None are fitted to all the odd shaped RV stuff. It's your choice and that's the fun in it...
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:22 AM   #16

When our kids were small and using the overhead bed we have them two sleeping bags and they were good to go. It was more like camping.
CKinsella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:57 AM   #17

I think right now we're going the sleeping bag on a fitted sheet route up there. The kids are still small enough to sleep North/South on it for now. I really don't see them sharing a queen size RV Superbed, and $560 dollars for two twin configurations just seems obscene to me !!!
Old 07-12-2015, 06:20 PM   #18

My wife just told me she puts a memory foam mattress up in the bunk and then puts the sheets on the memory foam. Still a hassle but much easier than putting the sheets on the mattress.
Howard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:02 PM   #19

I throw a sleeping bag up there. Let the kid deal with it. My rack gets sheets and an open sleeping bag for a blanket.
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:17 PM   #20

Back when we had an RV with over head bunk for our kids we found these year round sleeping bags. Heavier side on top for winter, lighter weight on top for summer. No need for sheets, just unroll and toss it and a pillow up there and your done. The most important part of an RVRoadtreking : The RV Lifestyle Blog