Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-12-2016, 07:04 PM   #1

Overnight Generator Usage

We recently completed 2 weeks and 2100 miles of travel. Some nights were very hot and required more A/C than normal. What are peoples thoughts on overnight generator usage? Anyone routinely do this? What is a general consensus on the practice. Thoughts and suggestions Please. We have a 2016 Redhawk 23XM.
Thanks!
Old 06-12-2016, 07:22 PM   #2

Consider the campground rules... many require quiet time after 10:00 PM. Other than that make very sure that you're carbon monoxide detector is working! The exhaust from the generator can seep in, and kill you.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:04 AM   #3

Have done it multiple times where there were no quiet hours: football tailgating (LSU: Geaux Tigers!), dry camping, and a Mardi Gras lot. No issues, but since it is under the bed in our Seneca, not the quietest night's rest.
tjbroussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:41 AM   #4

Where we camp here on the East side of the US we seem to always run into the Generator Restriction rules of no generators after 8PM. For us this is an OUTSIDE run portable generator situation and it seems those that have motorhomes with built-in generators can get around this problem problem pretty easy. I hear alot of motorhomes in the NON ELECTRIC camp grounds running their generators after hours. Almost a double standard....

In my case my portable generator sits secured in the tailgate corner of my closed and locked covered truck bed and it is quite obvious I am running my generator when it is pulled out onto the dropped tailgate 'quietly purring away'... Being a portable generator with fume hazards it isn't a good idea for us to sleep with one running at all...

If you can run yours anytime you want to I would be concerned where your deadly exhaust is pointing if setting in a campground somewhere around other campers...

Just my thoughts...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:00 AM   #5

Try to respect the rules of any established area you are in.

We do a lot of driving and as a result we are Dry Camping at a variety of places like rest areas and truck stops. We are from FL and have to run the AC at night or we would just melt... On our Greyhawk, the gen set is more of a noise issue for the guests up front as the Gen set is behind the driver's seat.

For the Seneca owners, I would recommend looking into some more sound deadening materials like Dynamat to get some more peace and quiet.
2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (our TOAD on a DEMCO Dolly)
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
CarlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschiller View Post
We recently completed 2 weeks and 2100 miles of travel. Some nights were very hot and required more A/C than normal. What are peoples thoughts on overnight generator usage? Anyone routinely do this? What is a general consensus on the practice. Thoughts and suggestions Please. We have a 2016 Redhawk 23XM.
Thanks!

If we run our generator for any length of time, I put up my exhaust extension to put the fumes over the top of the coach and it reduces some of the noise too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UpstateNY-31FS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:47 AM   #7

I wouldn't camp anywhere that didn't either provide 50 amp electrical service or allow me to run my generator 24/7.

Any time I am near my camper, my generator is running. My generator is a Honda EU6500is. I don't see how anybody could consider it annoying. You can't hear it at all if you are indoors, and you can only hear it outside if you get close to it.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:09 AM   #8

I'm not sure what specifics you are looking for but I just used my Honda for 72 hours straight this past weekend at the Winstock Country Music Festival in Winsted Minnesota. Camping at these events are without any utilities so everyone has generators running all day and night. You just keep adding gas. Now that the weekend is over I'll be changing the oil.
Pull Rite SuperGlide #4100 Hitch w/Mor-Ryde Pin Box
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:52 PM   #9

Clarity

Ours is built in.(23XM) I am familiar with the Honda units. They are great!

We are usually on the road during this time. I like the genturi idea and the 12v fans for sleepy time!

Thanks for everyone's suggestions!