Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-30-2012, 06:32 AM   #1

Question Parking and leaving generator running for extended times?

We have been running the generator while traveling due to the wether being hot and needing to run the A/C. So far our travels have not required us to leave the coach unattended for very long while stopped. If we stop at a restaraunt or site we may leave the generator running and a/c on for an hour or so.

We are planning on stopping at Sea World San Antonio and wondering what some of the more experienced folks here do when stopping lie this for an extended time.

Assuming Sea World does not have a policy against it, we plan on leaving the generator on while we are in the park. We dont have pets, so if something happens to shut down the system, it will just get hot inside with no damage to life.

Is this normal practice? Sorry for the newbie question.

Should I install the genturi when doing this?
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:08 AM   #2

Dumb question, why run the AC if your not in the tt. Larry
Old 08-30-2012, 07:51 AM   #3

Running it to keep the coach and contents cool. Doesnt take but 30 or so minutes in the Texas sun to heat the contents up to over 100 degrees. We generally get the coach ready a day in advance cooling it down to 76 inside and getting the fridge cold. We then load up and head out to the RV park we are going to. Now we are going to be making a trip with many stops at pints of interest along the way and wondering how other Class C'ers running in the heat do this.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:00 PM   #4

Generators are made to run. I much prefer to see one with high hours on it than one with only a few hours. Just make sure you have enough gas to keep it operating. They quit when the gas gauge hits 1/4 full.
PUG.MOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:22 AM   #5

Run our genset if stopping for lunch break or rest stop. Turn on AC and electric refer. If the refer needs to be on while underway, we turn on prophane. Don't run the genset while underway. Found if I open the bathroom door and lock open the coach stays cool with the cab AC running.
Have never left the genset running while away from the MH for a long period of time. To me that's inviting trouble.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:23 PM   #6

just my experience and its limited so far:

my onan 4000 takes 1 gallon to 1.25 gallons per hour depending on load.
my family of 5+2 dogs rides in the coach. the cab a/c only cools the cab portion so we have to run the genset for a/c. while doing so, i can turn off the cab a/c and save gas by using only 1 a/c. the cab a/c affects gas consumption as it puts more engine load, especially while on steep grades. the genset's fuel consumption is fairly consistent. if the genset is on, then propane doesn't get used either (another expensive fuel).

i've ran my genset from home to destination and camped in the beach's parking lot for 6 hrs without any issues. when it got dark and time, genset went off as we didn't need any more AC power.

i don't see a problem with running the genset with a/c in a parking lot as long as you are allowed to run it... some parking lots may not allow it but if you do, all you are doing is consuming fuel so make sure you have plenty of it...

just my 2 cents..

happy motoring
hayaku is offline   Reply With Quote