Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-27-2016, 07:30 PM   #1

Picked up a new 31fs greyhawk...and questions

As a former 5'er owner and reading a billion articles I knew we were going to have issues at first. I'll start with the bad and move on to the good.

The walkthrough:

I specifically asked to test out all the water fixtures to ensure they wouldn't leak. I asked this, because our 5'er leaked the first time we used it. The tech said they don't put any fresh water in, because it was a liability. Huh? Isn't that part of the PDI?

Of course, when I got it home and began the sanitizing process, the kitchen sink was leaking pretty bad. Someone has cross threaded the pipe when they put it together. Thankfully, they didn't screw it up that bad and I took it all apart and put it back together and it doesn't leak anymore.

The rest of the PDI walkthrough was really basic and the guy couldn't even tall me where the inverter was located.

I had read a few threads/articles about the Hellwig springs needing to have 2" gap between the leaf springs and asked that be checked/fixed as well as an alignment. What did they do? Nothing. They said the rep from Jayco came by and said it was normal and they didn't have time to do an alignment, but if I wanted to take it to some place and get it aligned they would pay for it. Given I had asked them to do this 4 days in advance, I was kind of pissed when there was no communication about not doing it and dropping that bomb on me during the paperwork process.

I didn't realize until that day that all RV lock keys are the same?! Guess I will be replacing all of them.

Getting it home:

So, I found the water leaks. 3 of them actually. Managed to fix them all without having to buy anything. Happy about that I suppose.

I do have a question about the king jack. Isn't it supposed to have a switch on the side and lights that allow you to see where the best reception is? I see no lights and I vaguely remember from test driving a Thor that is what is supposed to happen. I've got the booster powered up and it has the green light on, but the king jack doesn't seem to register anything.

The weather stripping on the passenger door is loose. I may try to get some butyl in there to get it to stick. Unsure if that is causing a noise issue on the freeway.

The door between the kitchen and the bunk area closes, but does not lock properly. It looks like someone tried.......with a chisel, but didn't quite get enough wood out to allow it to latch.

The leveling jacks are really unsure if the key is in the "on" position. I'm not sure if that means it needs to be running to have them extend or it just needs to be in the "run" position. After fiddling with it constantly for 15-20 minutes, it seems like the system gave up as well and even with the key off, it did the auto level.

So, the rod (I'm guessing for towels) in the bathroom came down on my head while I was trying to peel the sticker off the tub. I had no idea it was literally just laying in the slots and had no spring.

This tankless water heater........I have mixed feelings. It seems like it takes about 20-30 seconds of low water flow to get it to commit to hot water. Once it does, look out! Once it did though, I could get it to mix hot and cold water just fine. A little bit weird, but it was workable. Is there supposed to be a rubber surround on the metal access panel? That thing rattles like crazy and this thing is LOUD when it is working.

That panel at the bottom of the screen door. LOL. Yes, there is a tiny little half arsed bead of silicone. I will be adding more.

I turned on the outside speakers. Apparently I will not be using them later at night when the kids go to bed. There is no "box" for the speaker, and it vents the rear right into the lower bunk. The Jensen radio does not work with my android phone except through bluetooth. Kind of a bummer. The radio has a remote, but you have to be within 10 feet to do anything.

The electric steps seem confused. Sometimes when I have the switch activated, it comes back in anyway when I close the door. I will admit, it seems like a safety hazard. If someone wasn't paying attention and stepped off and the steps weren't there.........

Are the bunk TV/DVD players supposed to receive the channels from the antenna? Seems like they don't. I have no idea which way it is supposed to be.

How on earth do you work the keyless entry on the side door? It seems like the buttons don't actually do anything. The dealer tech said he didn't know. The service "manager" said just press 0000. Yeah, there is no 0 button.

I did have to get the driveshaft replaced. When I first drove it there was a decent vibration and typical driveshaft noise between about 60-70mph. It still has a steering shake. I'll probably have to take it somewhere to get the tires balanced, springs adjusted and aligned. I really don't want to take it back to the selling dealer at this point. Unfortunately, its the only dealer within 50 miles of me.

The graphics stickers have some bubbling and not great fit/finish around the doors. I'm not sure if Jayco would do anything about that.

On to the good!

My daughter loves the front bunk. We really were considering a class A, but most of them just didn't work in the front overhead bunk situation and the ones that did weren't offering inverters or any sort of towing capacity.

I love that it came with a real deal 7,500lb. towing capacity with 750lb. tongue weight max. It's also compatible with a W/D hitch. We will eventually have a 6k trailer so it will work great.

The LED lights are sweet. However, they do flicker.

Compared to the Thor, these slideout mechanisms seem like rockstars. The single super slide on the Quantum was slow and seemed to take a crazy amount of power to operate. I had to start the generator to get it out. The slides on the greyhawk will just go out with ease on the coach battery.

MCD shades! The two front shades are day/night as well. Very happy with those.

The 6-speed auto is nice. It seems like 1'st gear is really low to get the coach moving and makes it seem way more peppy than it really is.

We've never had auto leveling jacks. Wow, it really makes the coach stable. No more wobbling around at all when multiple people are walking around in it.

I really like the two doors between the living areas. We have twin boys and will hopefully be keeping them in that area when its bedtime. The only issue would be getting to the back bedroom once its time for us to turn in. The doors seem fairly solid and well made.

The frameless windows! There seems to be BFW and AFW. We looked at used coaches with the regular windows and there is just no comparison. The look is 100000000 times better. For the kids as well, there is no possible way they could get out.

The fill/tank system. It's a bit awkward at first, but after using it today, I really appreciate it. All the valves in one place and fairly simple to use. I really like that it has a swich to auto turn on the pump when you need to draw anti freeze or bleach into the tank for their respective purposes.

If I can get some of the issues fixed, I think we will really enjoy it. No campsites available this weekend on short notice, but we did book for next weekend.

Upgrades planned:

Surge protector
Wire shelves/brackets
New TV mount for the front TV. When it swings out it is blocked by the cabinets
Probably a new shower head

That's probably it. It seems to have most everything we wanted.

Cheers.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:42 PM   #2

There is a reason for Jayco utilizing a selling system called a dealership. This dealership employs a salesman and service manager to answer all of your questions, conduct a proper PDI, and repair or replace anything that is not according to manufacturer specs. This dealer made a profit on the sale and those they employ are supposed to take care of you. Perhaps you need to calmly park that Greyhawk back at the dealership and walk in the front door and ask to meet the owner. The owner should be knowledgeable enough to explain what on your MH is at specs and what is not. But you do deserve answers from salesman, service manager, and the owner. Repair nothing that is deemed not according to manufacturers original specs. It is on warranty and you deserve service from this dealer. You paid for it. As far as going elsewhere for front end alignments and Helwig adjustments with reimbursements from Jayco... that seems to be what others on this forum have done since dealers are not set up to perform this particular function. Eventually things should settle down for you and you will be able to enjoy what is a very nice model Greyhawk.
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 09:03 PM   #3

I figure they will settle down. It is really difficult to get time to get home, drive the RV over to the dealership, have my wife with all the kids follow me and drive back home all in one day. That whole process is 3 or so hours.

I did also find the keypad on the door had dead batteries. New batteries and viola! It works.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:53 AM   #4

Are the bunk TV/DVD players supposed to receive the channels from the antenna? Seems like they don't. I have no idea which way it is supposed to be.

>>> I was told they are only DVD players and are not attached to the antenna/tv
Old 05-28-2016, 01:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksVenturingSouth View Post

>>> I was told they are only DVD players and are not attached to the antenna/tv
You were told correctly. Not attached to antenna.
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:17 AM   #6

Hello foglght,
I have a 2016 29MV bought new Oct 2015.

• No water leaks but had the pink stuff in there.
  • Adjusted the Hellwig springs myself.
  • My King Jack has no lights. I did see what you are talking about on a video though.
  • No Driveshaft vibration in mine. J
  • Weather-strip was loose on both my doors across top. Have to tuck it between edge of headliner and door opening. It’s hard get in there but really holds it.
  • I have only used levelling jacks w/ign key in off position.
  • Towel rod same, just sits there.
  • Water heater is a bit noisy but no rattle.
  • Steps come back in regardless of switch position if ign key is in the on position.
  • I did buy a surge protector. They should be built with them.
  • Upgraded to an Oxygenics shower head kit. It’s nice I tell ya.
With any luck you've made it thru the worse of it and brighter days a comin!
Stoonie
Old 06-01-2016, 10:24 AM   #7

I wonder how that Oxygenics works w/ the Gerard Tankless heater. Anything that restricts the flow tends to screw up the heater. Since the Oxygenics purports to save water, I assume its doing so by limiting the water coming out and infusing what does w/ air to make it feel better.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoonie View Post
Hello foglght,
I have a 2016 29MV bought new Oct 2015.

• No water leaks but had the pink stuff in there.
  • Adjusted the Hellwig springs myself.
  • My King Jack has no lights. I did see what you are talking about on a video though.
  • No Driveshaft vibration in mine. J
  • Weather-strip was loose on both my doors across top. Have to tuck it between edge of headliner and door opening. It’s hard get in there but really holds it.
  • I have only used levelling jacks w/ign key in off position.
  • Towel rod same, just sits there.
  • Water heater is a bit noisy but no rattle.
  • Steps come back in regardless of switch position if ign key is in the on position.
  • I did buy a surge protector. They should be built with them.
  • Upgraded to an Oxygenics shower head kit. It’s nice I tell ya.
With any luck you've made it thru the worse of it and brighter days a comin!
Stoonie
Man, I wish.

Things keep on showing up. Not a happy camper. I can't even be a happy camper since we can't use it yet.

After all the research showing Jayco seems to have some of the best quality, I am far from impressed.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:13 AM   #9

Did you buy yours from a Jayco dealer or another party? A LOT of the quality comes from the Dealer making sure the rig is square before having you sign the papers.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Did you buy yours from a Jayco dealer or another party? A LOT of the quality comes from the Dealer making sure the rig is square before having you sign the papers.
I bought from a local Jayco dealer.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by foglght View Post
I bought from a local Jayco dealer.
Well, some of it is learning, some of it is PDI. I've had a great experience with mine.

Even a stick built home by a good builder has issues. It happens.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Well, some of it is learning, some of it is PDI. I've had a great experience with mine.

Even a stick built home by a good builder has issues. It happens.
I don't believe at this point it actually went through a PDI.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:04 PM   #13

Check out this video about the King Jack
Old 06-03-2016, 07:00 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbss View Post
Check out this video about the King Jack
Yeah, I did watch that video. Mine has the power booster hooked up right, but it looks like the electronics for the signal strength meter is inop.

Dealer called me back to say it is all working properly. I'm not sure how to argue with them other than to maybe send this video to show them how it is actually supposed to work. It also bothers me they don't know how it works.

Is the King Jack like that video a new product?
Old 06-03-2016, 07:38 AM   #15

Hi Foghlght,

I'm not impressed with Jayco's quality control either. Most new RV's these days have issues and you just hope yours aren't too bad. This is the right place place to either fix them yourself, or have the dealer or Jayco fix them if they are major. Eventually you will have a nice working rig! The good news is you will really get to know the mechanical parts of your Jayco!

My King Jack did not come with a signal meter. If yours has one, it would be in the head where you turn the antenna to point. Jayco told me they aren't putting them in anymore. Let me know if yours has one cause I'll be pissed.

Girard water heater - I'm replacing it with a conventional Atwood. We dry camp and wasting gallons of water trying to get hot water isn't an option for me.

The comments above about the bunk DVDs are correct. These only play DVD's or movies stored on a thumb drive in the correct format. There is RCA video and audio in jacks that tv could be piped in. I was considering a wireless transmitter for TV to them.

The rod in the shower is good for wet towels, otherwise its in the way. Mine needed another screw in the end that the pole lifts out from. It kept spinning and the pole would fall, (only one screw in the middle of the thing - duh).

I didn't need an alignment and no drive shaft vibrations, but I did need to raise my rear leveling jacks. They were installed too low.

I've added 400 watts solar, central vacuum, Progressive Industries Surge protector, on-board air compressor and rear air bags (mostly for extra clearance when needed), dimmer on the awning lights, Alcoa wheels, front TV power when driving mod, mount for Davis Instruments Vue weather station.

Next projects: Add a spare tire, replace water heater.

I've had my 2016 Greyhawk out on 4 trips, 2 of them dry camping and aside from the water heater, everything worked great.

Once you get the (hopefully minor) bugs worked out, it's a very nice rig!

- James
jgerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:29 AM   #16

Well if you go right to the Greyhawk standards and options page it specifically says "Digital Antenna with signal meter and powered amplifier."
Old 06-03-2016, 05:53 PM   #17

Yep, and I mentioned that to a Jayco rep. His reply was basically "so sorry but we stop putting them on the units". Can you post a pic so I can forward to him?

Thanks!

James
Old 06-03-2016, 05:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgerhard View Post
Yep, and I mentioned that to a Jayco rep. His reply was basically "so sorry but we stop putting them on the units". Can you post a pic so I can forward to him?

Thanks!

James

Old 06-03-2016, 06:10 PM   #19

Thanks, I have the brochure too. I meant can you post a pic of the signal meter you have?

Thanks again!

- James
Old 06-03-2016, 06:32 PM   #20

Mine looks like the standard king jack unit without the signal meter in it.

Wish I could take pics. I don't currently have it. Dealer.