Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-04-2015, 04:50 PM   #1

Planning to buy a 2016 Greyhawk

After looking the last couple months, I have decided on a class C RV. I am ready to buy a 2016 Greyhawk 31FS. I really like the the quality of the RV.

Looking for feedback information from this forum on my choice.

thanks, Larry
nels1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:24 AM   #2

I have a 2012 and have been nothing but pleased with it. It's big. Only thing I would suggest is to look closely at how your family camps, what gear you want to take, if you plan on towing, how you plan on utilizing sleeping positions, etc.

I have 3 younger kids. While the bunk beds where the main attraction to the 31FS, I know realize that we could have fit in just about any other unit with a cab over bunk, easily. I like the 31FS a lot and it suits us. But when shopping, I really did not have the experience to make better choices. I just went with what seemed to be the best.

If you haul a lot of gear, the 31FS (depending on current design) is limited in some regards. Some other 26's have huge garages for stuff. I have to be careful what I want to take and how I carry it. One example is my Weber Q200, I have to haul it with lid off to get it to fit in one of the side compartments. Just look the unit over and think about how YOU will be using it.

Its the biggest of the C's and is heavy. If you want to stay within design limits, you need to be careful on weight. This is where the 26's have an upper hand. They can carry a bit more and tow more. I have not been brave enough to set up for towing.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 11:47 AM   #3

I have an 08 GH 31 ss with the cab over entertainment center and slide out bed, queen bed in the back. The sofa and dinette are on the drivers side slide, when the slide is out it really opens up the interior IMO, kitchen on the opposite side. Bathroom is small imo, can't really turn around in john room but it is an RV, dont use the shower, I prefer the CG bath house. Have not had any issues hauling gear, a couple containers of gear I have not used in a year so we need to pair stuff down come winter time. I can carry a Weber Q 100 in my middle cargo area with the lid on, not sure if the 200 has a taller lid or not. I carry a 1 gal tank for the Q in the long low cargo area under the BR, chairs and tables in the larger cargo area under the BR as well as all the hoses and hook up stuff needed. My Q100 would not fit in the back long/low cargo area but does fit fine in the forward cargo area. We have not taken any extended/long trips, longest being < than 7 days and stay local (<100 miles) for the most part. No toad.

We've owned for just over a year, no problems at all with any of the components, everything has worked just fine except for the BR tv which I think is partly due to previous owner have satelite hook ups and re-wired it, and the crappy tv that came with the unit. I have a small LED tv I'm going to try in the BR to eliminate one possiblity.

If you provide more info about family and your intentions, others will offer suggestions on that layout and how it works for them. GL
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:37 AM   #4

We bought a 2011 31fs in December. We traded in a 30 ft unit with no slides but huge storage underneath. We are a family of 6 and the no slide unit had just gotten too small when the kids got big. I was concerned with the loss of outside storage and we did have to be very creative with packing. I did find that many extras I had to store in bins underneath now fit in the unit like pool towels, extra clothes/shoes and food. We did a two week trip to Disney and I was easily able to pack everything we needed with room to spare. The underneath storage proved to be more than adequate for our needs but we did change how we packed. I think the newer units have shelves in the bathroom. We do not but our old unit did. I do use the shower and find the bathroom lacking in places to store towels but that is something I can work with. I love not having to tear down the dinette for sleeping. My oldest daughter sleeps on the couch but that is so easy to open and close. We did have to adapt to what we could run in this unit vs the old unit on the 30 amp service. On our old one we could run everything on electric including a.c., refridge and hot water heater. On this unit we are blowing the breaker. All in all I love this unit. We had one day during our disney trip that it rained for much of the day and we spent hours in it and everyone lived to tell about it. Lol. In both of our units I had to come up with different ways to pack to work with the unit but I have no regrets with our purchase.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:56 AM   #5

I am considering a new 29ks with the outdoor kitchen. It's between that and a Forester. I will say the Forester does offer more in the way of options. They come standard with slide out awnings which is nice.
Going to the Jayco dealer in 2 weeks to look a couple over.
Then the Forester dealer a week later. If they are comparable in quality I'm leaning towards the Forester based on some of the options they offer.
Have to pay a bit more for it though.
Up North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 05:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up North View Post
I am considering a new 29ks with the outdoor kitchen. It's between that and a Forester. I will say the Forester does offer more in the way of options. They come standard with slide out awnings which is nice.
Going to the Jayco dealer in 2 weeks to look a couple over.
Then the Forester dealer a week later. If they are comparable in quality I'm leaning towards the Forester based on some of the options they offer.
Have to pay a bit more for it though.
FWIW, I'm not a fan of the Forester roof. Even though its fiberglass, its flat and it has screws (SCREWS?) all along the sides covered in Dicor. Makes for a lot of ponding up there.

I abhor standing water on a RV roof.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 05:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
FWIW, I'm not a fan of the Forester roof. Even though its fiberglass, its flat and it has screws (SCREWS?) all along the sides covered in Dicor. Makes for a lot of ponding up there.

I abhor standing water on a RV roof.
Forester advertises a arched fiber glass roof. I guess I will see in a couple weeks.
http://www.forestriverinc.com/brochu...sterposter.pdf

The other option I like is the large capacity 4 door fridge. Seems our fridge is always just jammed packed. So between the optioned large fridge and the outdoor fridge in the kitchen that problem should be solved.
What I have to reconcile is the Jayco dealer has offered me $8000 more for my trade which is a 2005 Coachmen Leprechaun with 30000 miles in good condition. Not to mention his cash out price is lower as well.
I just have to decide if the Forester is worth the considerable extra money.
Up North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:38 PM   #8

I stood on my roof and looked right over to the roof of a 2015 forester parked next to me in storage. If its arched, it isn't much. And that line of screws/dicor down both sides really confuses the heck out of me.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:01 PM   #9

We have a 15' 31FS and love it ! We recently compared it to the 16 model and We are glad we got the 15! Some of the upgrades ( downgrades) didn't make sense to us.
UpstateNY-31FS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 10:12 AM   #10

We have a 2015 31FS. We did have a couple of issues, but they were handled very quickly under warranty and didn't cause any trip delays. Coming up on a year and we have almost 8,000 miles on her. We stepped up from a travel trailer that we loved, and we haven't looked back yet.
Grey2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 02:22 PM   #11

I have a 2013 31ds. The only problem I have had are out of sink slides twice. That was fixed by a rv repair shop.
The only thing I dislike is the on demand water heater. Hard to regulate the temp in shower and makes plenty of noise.
dlostyle1950@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:39 PM   #12

Some of those posting hear I believe are talking about trailers...
I am assuming this is a Class C RV thread.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:54 PM   #13

We've had our 2014 31FK for 53 weeks. In that time we've put about 6,000 miles on it and used it 56 nights. Our longest stays were four, 8-night trips.

We have been very pleased with the Greyhawk. All of the major components have functioned without problem: fridge, furnace, inverter, converter, water pump, televisions, A/C, slide-out, oven, cooktop, grill and microwave.

We had one issue when the Bigfoot alarm sounded indicating (falsely) that the levelers were not completely up. The fix was simply to put rubber vacuum line caps over the limit switches to ensure a better fit.

The Girard tankless water heater was tricky to get used to, but we learned. I took one really cold shower when it cut out abruptly in mid-wash. Once I found the secret reset button and learned why it cut out, all has been well since.

The Ford drivetrain has been flawless including three trips through the N.C. mountains from Raleigh, NC to Nashville, TN and back. Our gas mileage is in the 8-9 mpg range, cruising 60-62 mph. The V10 has plenty of power to pull the loaded Greyhawk through the mountains. We have not pulled a toad, though.

We did have a list of warranty items which we accumulated during our first few trips. We put it into our dealer's shop over the winter. (Jayco's two-year warranty is a great thing.) Our work list included unbundled wires dangling beneath the chassis, surface rust on several chassis frame members, lumps underneath the vinyl flooring throughout the RV, inoperative shower light, wiring wrapped around the water filter cartridge housing making it difficult to swap out the cartridge, a tear in the padded edge along the cab-over bunk, slide-out not being quite square with the RV wall, and assorted fit-and-finish blemishes. The dealer took care of everything on the list without any arguing. Having a good dealer makes a big difference in one's satisfaction level.

We like the front kitchen on the 31FK as well as it having only one slide-out. I figure two slides doubles my chances of a slide-related problem. Also, the 31FK is configured so that it is completely useable with the slide pulled in. All cabinets, doors, etc. can be opened which is nice for those evenings we make a brief overnight stop at a Walmart and do not run out the slide.

The Greyhawks drive well, too, at least better than you'd expect a large box truck to do. The JRide Plus package on ours seems to be a great benefit.

We've had no problems with the rooftop A/C keeping cool even in the hot Southern summer weather. Granted it might be different in the Southwest. We hope to get there someday.

Most of our trips are just DW and myself, but we have done two 8-day trips with two grandkids along. Even with them along we had plenty of space. The large storage compartment in the rear is great. Just watch your weight. Visit a CAT scale when fully loaded to check your axle weights.

Spend some time sitting in the various Greyhawks. Imagine cooking and eating breakfast, getting ready for bed, spending a rainy day with everyone inside, etc. Sit on the toilet with the door closed to see how much room you have. Stand in the shower with the door closed and take a pretend bath to see how it works for you. Try to picture as best you can how that floor plan works for your needs.

In short, we love our Greyhawk. Should something happen to it, we would definitely buy another Greyhawk and from the same dealer. Best of luck and I hope this helps.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:21 PM   #14

I own a 2016 greyhawk 29 MV. I drove it from Long Island to Asheville, NC and from LI to central PA so far. Besides the known vibration issue (which Jayco has notified me today that a fix is forthcoming) there is only one small problem to be fixed. It handles well and is a pleasure to drive. I drove up a 6% grade with no problem. We are pleased with our purchase.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:12 PM   #15
WDW

NC Roamer said it best. We have the FK and despite our wondering eye to a Precept for a larger shower and washer and dryer, I would not own anything else. Tremendous value in a Greyhawk!

Formerly 31FK 15 Grayhawk
Toad: 2015 Jeep Cherokee "The Caboose".

Taking in the sights wherever my Trolley takes me!
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 07:03 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nels1954 View Post
After looking the last couple months, I have decided on a class C RV. I am ready to buy a 2016 Greyhawk 31FS. I really like the the quality of the RV.

Looking for feedback information from this forum on my choice.

thanks, Larry
We just bought a 2016 31FS in Aug. used it twice now. I like it, I flat tow a Jeep Wrangler without any problems, lots of power.
My 2 biggest complaints are -
1. The handling while driving on the highway. I'm told the E450 chassis doesn't come from the factory with enough + camber in the front. Very busy correcting the steering from wondering. Wind from tractor trailers will push it around to much. I find myself going slower then the posted speed limits.
2. Vibration noise unacceptable at 58-62mph. Not sure what that is, hearing something about Ford adding the 6th gear to the transmission & Mor-ride suspension.
I'm planning a 2,500 mile round trip to Disney this Christmas, I want to get these issues resolved before that.
Dace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:03 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dace View Post
2. Vibration noise unacceptable at 58-62mph. Not sure what that is, hearing something about Ford adding the 6th gear to the transmission & Mor-ride suspension.
I have seen numerous complaints about this vibration issues with the 2016 models. From what I have read, there is now a fix for it. Cannot recall if it was the new transmission or something related to the Mor-ride chassis stretch.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:07 AM   #18

Vibration issue

From what I have read and heard, ALL the 2016 E450 Class C's have the vibration problem. Look at a Forester forum to check it out. Apparently Ford made the new tranny slightly longer but the Class C manufacturers were unaware of this. There is a fix and units are now shipping. My 2016 is one of the few that were sold before the problem was identified. A Jayco rep told me they had lots of them sitting on the Jayco lot waiting for a fix. That has been resolved.
My Greyhawk rides and handles very well. I have taken it on two trips on interstates and it did not sway at all. It was easy to drive.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:48 AM   #19

We are still considering the Greyhawk 31FS. The local dealer has quoted a great price but, we are holding off on the buy process until the vibration issue is resolved.

Really appreciate all the feedback from Greyhawk owners.
nels1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:15 PM   #20

We are trading up to the Redhawk 26XD... we're not getting the Grayhawk as they are all too big (the 26 is all we need).

As far as the Forester goes... compare the warranty with the Jayco. I've always felt that if a manufacturer doesn't have enough faith in their own product to offer a two year warranty, that raises a large red flag.

IMHO, one year is just not enough time to work out all of the issues in an RV, given that they generally aren't used that much.

Good luck, and safe camping!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote