Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-30-2016, 09:22 AM   #1

Portable Satellite dish hook up for Direct TV

I recently purchased a 2016 Greyhawk 29MV.

I am working on hooking up my portable satellite dish to the RV.

I have one coax female connector in the power cord storage compartment that I have used successfully with cable.

Near my main room TV I have two female coax connectors labeled "Roof Satellite Input" "Line 1, Line 2.

My desire is to have two direct TV receivers at least one of those being a DVR. One for the main room TV the other for the bedroom so my wife and I can watch two different TV programs at the same time.

I do understand I will need two coax cables coming from the satellite antenna. The antenna does have a place for two cables.

The way it looks, I will have to bring the two cables into the RV by drilling into the floor, roof, or sidewall and run cables (2) up to the "Satellite Input" female receptacles near the main room TV.

Looking for guidance here as well I understand I may need to install an A/B switch or something similar.

Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.
tomknepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:31 AM   #2

Wouldn't it be easier to drop a couple of lines down the outside of the coach from the roof connections to the portable dish or am I missing some information?

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 03:09 PM   #3

The two female coax connectors labeled "roof satellite input" "line 1", "line 2" are on the inside of the RV near the main room TV. No exterior connectors on the roof thank you for responding
Old 01-30-2016, 03:40 PM   #4

I am using a DirecTV setup consisting of a H44 Genie on the main tv and a H25 receiver mounted to the back of a bedroom/outside TV. My cable/sat connections on the outside don't like to pass the SWM signal into the trailer due to an amplifier. So in order to use my setup, I picked up one of these to feed my single coax into the trailer thru a window. Although it sounds like your not using a SWM system setup, you still might be able to use two of these to get done what you want without drilling holes.

Flat Cable CCTV JUMPER Dish Network and Directv Approved (Amazon) - Robot Check

I can still close the window because the adapter just flattens into the weather stripping.

Just a thought.
blujay40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 01:29 PM   #5

Thank you, that may end up being the way I do it. Will be on phone tomorrow with Jayco for their suggestions.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:48 AM   #6

You mentioned you have an H25 receiver mounted to the back of your bedroom TV. I was thinking of taking a closet drawer out near the bedroom TV and replace it with a shelf for my receiver.

Are you able to use your remote with the receiver mounted behind the TV? I would love to do that if the remote works rather than remove a drawer. I thought you needed line of site? receiver-remote.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomknepper View Post
Are you able to use your remote with the receiver mounted behind the TV? I would love to do that if the remote works rather than remove a drawer. I thought you needed line of site? receiver-remote.
You can use the remote in this setup IF you configure things to use RF instead of IR. IR is where you need "line of sight". RF will work "thru" things. The H25 supports RF (with an external antenna) and you will need an RF capable remote (RX model).

I mounted this all on the back of a 32" LED TV so depending on the size of your bedroom TV, this may or may not be able to be hidden very well. If your not moving the TV, you could also possibly mount the bracket to the wall behind the TV as it was really made to do. I would think that any size larger than a 24" or so would work fine. The H25 is also small and light enough compared to other DirecTv receivers that it made this work just fine for me. Here is what I did.

Get the wall mount bracket for the H25 - Robot Check

Get the RF antenna for the H25 - Robot Check

And if you dont' already have an RF capable remote (RX models) to use with this TV then this as well - Robot Check

The wall mount has a slot for the antenna to snap into it along side the receiver which makes for a neat install and not worrying about the antenna flopping around or being in the way. I am usually about 6-8 ft from remote to tv and it always works just fine.

As for mounting things, I mounted the H25 receiver bracket to the back of the TV by removing two of the VESA plate TV mounting screws on the side of the VESA bracket that happened to line up with two holes in the receiver bracket. I added a couple other zip ties to firm things up where holes didn't line up properly.

Snap the receiver and the RF antenna into the mount and as for the power brick on the H25 power cord, I was able to snug that in between the TV and the receiver and secured it with another zip tie.

A coax quick connect on the coax cable going to the outlet, a short 3' HDMI cable along with a zip tie or two to bundle up the TV, receiver, and HDMI cable where necessary and it made for a nice, compact, and "all in one" unit that I can move easily between the bedroom and outside on the patio.

I may just get a third TV in time, but then I need to pay/move yet another receiver from the house to the trailer. For now, this works just fine for me.

HTH,

J
Old 02-01-2016, 01:37 PM   #8

X2

The wall mount bracket and RF remote is a great setup. I also use it at home and in the TT.

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 02:38 PM   #9

Very helpful and kind of you, thank you.
Jayco no help, suggested I take it to a dealer for satellite install.
Will experiment with receivers and cables. Also dismantle and search where the "Roof Sat In Line 1 and Line 2" wires go/come from.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:55 AM   #10

tomknepper, do you have a roof top satellite dome?
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:32 AM   #11

No, I have a portable Weingard G2 Carryout.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomknepper View Post
No, I have a portable Weingard G2 Carryout.
Okay, I have that also from a prior trailer. The Winegard Sat 1 and Sat 2 is wiring going to the roof and nothing more. You're far better off, in my opinion, to just forget about that. I don't think it is going to help you.

Do you have a coax input for cable?

If yes, you can use it for the Winegard Connection, BUT you've got to connected in to it before the booster for the roof top antenna. This is rebuilt to split for the satellite or for the antenna and cable connection. How to do this is well documented. I'll see if I can find how to Instructions for you. I've done it twice, it isn't hard once you learn the concept.

Here is an example -

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...print/true.cfm
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 02-02-2016, 09:07 PM   #13

Thank you very much. That is all helpful. Thanks for taking the time.

I do have a single cable input that I have used in the RV parks successfully for their cable.

I do want to use two TV's with two different receivers simultaneously watching different programs. Living room and bedroom.

As I understand it, I need two coax cables coming from the Winegard G2 Carryout to accomplish this.

Will be actively trying to figure all this out tomorrow in the motor home.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:16 PM   #14

Over the years, I've called Winegard a number of times. They are very helpful. Give them a call and have the model number of your Winegard available before you call.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 02-10-2016, 11:53 AM   #15

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

this is how I worked it out. I do have a Winegard G2 portable satellite receiver. I do have Direct TV and want to keep it.

With this satellite receiver you do need to run two RG6 coax cables if you want two different receivers watching two different programs at the same time.

My RV came with a single female coax receptacle placed in the shore power compartment. This supplies RV park cable TV to both interior TV's.

I was able to determine the wire from that receptacle went up to the living room TV cabinet area. It was attached to the back of the single female coax receptacle built into the cabinetry behind the TV.

I unscrewed the cable from the back of the receptacle. I used a coax barrel connector to attach a 3' coax extension. I did have to drill a hole into the cabinetry to bring the wires into the cabinet area made for a receiver.

I am able now to receive Direct TV standard def only on the living room TV. I plug the satellite dish coax wire into the female receptacle in the shore power compartment and viola.

For the bedroom TV, I did have to run an additional RG6 coax from the same shore power compartment area (did that for convenience etc.) underneath the motor home. I did install a barrel connector to the bottom edge of the motor home wall using a bracket. This is where I attach the 2nd wire coming from the satellite dish. I did drill a 1/2" hole from the bottom of the rig (silicone d it when done) up into an area behind the bedroom wardrobe area drawers. I was able to snake the coax wire up into the cabinet behind the bedroom TV. I programmed the remote for RF communication and I now have my 2nd (bedroom) TV working at the same time as the front TV with different shows. Happy Camper.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:03 PM   #16

Where there is a will, there IS a way! Glad you got things working.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:47 PM   #17

Thank you to all who tried and did help.