Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-11-2015, 07:51 PM   #1

Potential Greyhawk 31FS Purchase

We're contemplating buying this for our family of 5 from Vogt in Ft. Worth. Deal's for around 78k and I'm thinking so far that's a pretty fair price. I've done lots of searches on the Greyhawks here and so far other than the finicky hot water heater issues, it seems that they are pretty solid unit. This will be my family's first time RV'ing so we're looking forward to learning and enjoying during the experience. My children are 11, 9, and 3 so as far as I'm concerned it's now or never... Soon they'll all be way too cool to want to be with Mom and Dad for any extended period of time
mcsenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:54 PM   #2

Congratulations and welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:07 PM   #3

I live in Mississippi and purchased 2014 Grewhawk 31FS last year and we really enjoy it. We have had very few issues. Yes the hot water is a little tricky, but after I go the air out of the lines, things worked better. I did also have issues with the keyless key pad. I have two granddaughters that just love the bunk beds. As for price, that is pretty good but I think you can get a few more dollars or service / supplies thrown in. Just a thought. Good luck and keep on the forum - there is good tips to be found.
wmanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:40 PM   #4

Yep! My two youngest are girls and they're very excited to use the bunks. The main attraction for me is not having to make up the sofa or dinette beds every day with the bunkhouse models. We were very interested in the Thor Palazzo's but price, slide issues, and other things led us back to the Class C's.

One question i do have, is how hard is it to install an in-motion wineglass on these things? Is this something I HAVE to get the dealer to do it is it something my nerdy self can tackle?
Old 03-11-2015, 09:50 PM   #5

Best regards, from Central Tejas, on your potential purchase. DW and I pick up our 29MV tomorrow afternoon from our dealership located just south of Austin. I've heard/read lots of gripes concerning the tankless HW system. In fact, I called our salesman this afternoon to inquire on the issue and he says this is the first he has heard of the problem. Hmmmm...

From what I understand, the system works once you figure out how to manipulate it. We'll find out later this month when we head out to Blanco SP for our maiden voyage.

Best of luck on your decision and future travels...
Old 03-12-2015, 07:00 AM   #6

I just bought a 2015 GH 31FS, last week. I think the price you are getting is very fair. I actually paid just a little more than you, however, I had a trade (Travel Trailer), and the dealer gave me back the same price that I paid for the Travel Trailer a year and half earlier. So, selling price and trade make me think that you are getting a very fair deal.
We haven't taken a Maiden Voyage in it yet, but that's only a few weeks away. I have 3 kids 11, 9, 7, and they have already sorted out bunks and over cab sleeping. This is a great rig/layout for a family of this size. We looked at a lot of other models, but like what this one had to offer the best. Good luck with your decision and purchase!
2014 Jayco Jay Feather X23B-"Glampy"(Sold)
DW, DS, DDx2, and Bandit & Fletcher
Bikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:51 AM   #7

Sorry but I don't know what an "..in-motion wineglass .." is.

Thanks
wmanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsenerd View Post
The main attraction for me is not having to make up the sofa or dinette beds every day with the bunkhouse models.

X2
Old 03-12-2015, 09:31 AM   #9

Does he mean Winegard (satellite)?
Old 03-12-2015, 12:44 PM   #10

Sorry folks... (Damn autocorrect strikes again)

Yes, I'm talking about a winegard or king dome in-motion sat dish...
Old 03-13-2015, 12:19 AM   #11

We got our 2015 FS last May and have logged about 15k on the odometer so far. No major issues, just little things. Some dealer fixed, some myself.

My two boys absolutely love the bunks, and they give mom and dad living space once they are in bed!!

Watch your weight, as with our family of 4, a 180lb Saint Bernard, and all of our stuff we are only left with a few hundred lbs of CCC. Loaded to the max however, we have experienced great handling. My GH exceeded my expectations and rides like my Superduty.....damn nice.

I installed a standard Wineguard Direct TV sat on mine, but wish we would have gone with the Traveler or In-motion dish. Happy with it for the price though. Check out the DIY TV mod thread, as you will want the tv to work "in motion".

The water heater is a bit tricky for showers, and my wife does complain. She has figured out how to use it though, and I'm too big for the shower anyway unless we are boondocking. It's just fine for washing and dishes, etc.

Getting ready to get ours out of hibernation for the season. Good luck with your GH. You will love it!
Shakedown St. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:40 AM   #12

We bought our 31FS in 2012 and have been enjoying it. Only some small issues, nothing major. All fixed myself with parts and advice from Jayco. The only thing I would have preferred was to have vinyl flooring in the front and only carpet inthe bunk/bedroom. But that is a personal preference , not a design issue.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 05:56 PM   #13

TX, I have the 2012 FK and I pulled the carpet from the main living/kitchen area. The main floor had vinyl flooring under the carpet. You can make some small holes and check that the flooring is there. I left the carpet on the slide and underneath the slide and used some floor transitions to cover the carpet ends.

Makes cleaning much easier.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Flat towing a 2008 Miata.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 11:37 PM   #14

Well, we took the plunge today. Should take delivery next week. Might give it a shakedown at the Vineyards Campground in Grapevine this next weekend. Looking forward to lots of learning and adventures yet to come!
Attached Thumbnails
NewRV.jpg  
Old 03-19-2015, 07:51 PM   #15

Just returned from 6 weeks in Florida in our 2015 TO kGreyhawk back to New York. Handled very well and we towed a 2015 Chevy Equinox. No major problems. Only issue was high winds in Georgia but that wasn't the MH problem.
snipe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Well, we took the plunge today. Should take delivery next week. Might give it a shakedown at the Vineyards Campground in Grapevine this next weekend. Looking forward to lots of learning and adventures yet to come!
Congratulations!
Old 03-19-2015, 08:08 PM   #17

Quote:

Looks great
Old 05-12-2015, 02:04 PM   #18

I can't wait to hear how it goes!
RVFamof3 is offline   Reply With Quote