Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-20-2014, 12:16 PM   #1

Potential Redhawk/Grayhawk Owner

We have been researching motorhomes and are getting ready to purchase. We have narrowed the list to a:
1) New 2015 Redhawk 29XK,
2) New 2015 Greyhawk 29KS, or
3) Used 2011 Greyhawk 31DS (9200 miles) on a local lot.

One option for the new RVs would be taking possession of it at the RV Direct facility in Orlando. Been reading up on the pros and cons of that approach and have received quotes on both Hawks. I must say their quotes look pretty good.

The other option is buying from our local Jayco dealer, Bill Plemmons, in Raleigh. One of their sales people is putting together a build sheet for the two Hawks. I very much prefer buying from our local dealer and hope that works out.

We would be very grateful for any feedback from anyone with experiences at either of the Plemmons' facilities, but especially the one in Raleigh. If you bought from them, considered buying from them but for some reason did not, had warranty work done there, or had a post-warranty service, we'd like to know if you were satisfied.

If you prefer to not post a public reply, please feel free to send a PM. And thank you very much for any opinion you care to offer.

I've been reading the forum for a few weeks and am very impressed with the members. I trust my joining will not drag down the quality too much.
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:48 PM   #2

I would go for the greyhawk at the local dealer its an expensive purchase so if it cost a few extra k's for an upgraded model at a local dealer in the long run its gonna be worth it
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:51 PM   #3

Also i would perfer a new motor home just my opnion though
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:34 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

NC Roamer,

Welcome to JOF

Please note for increased visibility and response we have moved your thread to the "Jayco Motorhomes" forum.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:01 PM   #5

Nice to see someone local! It appears we are right down the street from each other.

I bought from Bill Plemmons in Rural Hall. It was a very positive experience. The sales staff did not pressure me and they went out of their way to make the deal. I would buy from them again. Also, my FIL had a very positive experience with the Raleigh location's service department. If you buy from them expect to pay slightly more than the lowest price you see on the interweb because all their new MH come with a "free" lifetime warranty. My example was 2014 Seneca 37FS listed for 174 and change where others are listing them at 169...There is room to deal, rest assured.

There are some other things we can talk about, PM me if interested.

So, there are the good things...now I will caution you on one thing. Set up your pickup and PDI in the morning. It was not a big deal to me, but I sorta rushed through the deal to pickup because of a commitment out of town. When I picked the coach up, I had an afternoon appointment. I gave them 4 days to do the PDI, clean it, and fix the stuff I had identified on the test drive and walk through. The Winston-Salem FL dealer could not get my coach in to have the cruise fixed because they were scheduling two weeks out. Also, they left two decals on the coach that I had to remove then clean the windows. As I said, very minor to me, I did not complain, but if I had to do it again, I would schedule a morning demo and walkthrough to give them more time to do it right.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:08 PM   #6

I see you are looking at purchasing from RVDirect in Orlando. We just purchased a 2015 Greyhawk 31DS from RVDirect in Tampa. We rented a car one way from Atlanta. One of the owners (Matt) met us at the front door when we arrived. He gave us a courtesy car to take the rental car back. Very good experience all the way around and they were way better on the price than anyone around Atlanta. When we got there they were having the windshield replaced due to road crack. It leaked on the way back and I called them. They are having the windshield replaced again here at home at their expense. Haven't regretted the experience as of yet.
driwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:40 AM   #7

Welcome to JOF. I would buy local, just for the convinence. We bought a 2014 29KS September of 2013, but the closest dealer to us is 90 miles. At 8 MPG it costs to go to them for work. I must say the few times we needed service wasn't an emergency so we scheduled a weekend trip to pass the dealer and they let us arrive the night before and hook up at their shop. Good Luck.
short kid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bill plemmons