Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-11-2015, 04:39 PM   #1

Problem Child

Back in August we purchased a 2015 Greyhawk 31fs and decided to take an extended trip for its shakedown run. Little did we know the model we purchased was full of problems. We have slide out issues (binding, bent frame, seals), a creaking roof, broken dvd players, drawer bottoms falling out from kids clothes, a water leak that warped the sink cabinet and much more. We brought the MH to a local dealer as our dealer was several hours away and this dealer had our MH for almost a month and only fixed the dvd player and shower travel latch. They poorly applied putty to the original screw holes as the new one is somehow smaller than the original under bunk player and it is an eyesore. They never addressed the water leak, the s/o issues, or any of the other big items. My question to you seasoned folks: is this normal? I mean, are these coaches normally this rife with problems? Also, is the slow rate of completion and poor workmanship indicative of the dealers? Unfortunately, having left them with the MH for as long as I did I was unable to use it for the rest of the season because I had to bring it home and winterize/store it because of my upcoming deployment. I did call jayco motorized and was forced to leave a message several times with no response. I don't want to go lemon law on these folks and we like the coach but these problems seem like too much to be normal and Im not sure we can afford this after the warranty is up if it is normal. Help please!
RangerRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 05:11 PM   #2

I have a dozen or small mostly small issues. Good luck and sorry you are having issues!!
Old 10-11-2015, 07:07 PM   #3

Oh i almost forgot, the thermostat on the furnace and the propane for the fridge were inop also...
Old 10-11-2015, 08:11 PM   #4

RangerRob,

I feel the dealer that sold the unit to you has an obligation to maintain a good relationship with their customers. Another closer dealer does not really have that obligation to put you above the customers he established a relationship with, when he sold them a unit. If the dealer you purchased from contacts a dealer closer to you and they work out a deal to take care of your problems, that's great!

We have recently purchased a new Super C from a dealer in Grand Rapids, Michigan. We live east of St. Louis, Missouri in southern Illinois. Basically for what we wanted, we could go to Atlanta, Georgia, Oklahoma City, Houston, Texas or Denver, Colorado. We hope our unit gives us little trouble, but if it does, my best source for good service is going to be in Grand Rapids.
Like everyone else, we hope to not have a lot of problems. We feel "Motor Homes 2 Go" (blatant plug) will give us great service. So far, they have done everything we've asked and gone way beyond just good business. I guess the statement is "stay tuned".

For your concerns, I'd recontact your original purchasing dealer and see if they can help you get things resolved.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:12 PM   #5

Sorry to hear about the problems. Every vehicle / motorhome/ boat manufacture will have a few lemons. I have spent alot of time researching class c motorhomes and have come to the conclusion that they are entry level even thought they are dressed up and look like a million dollar rig. They are just glorified moving trucks. During my research i found that some of the other manufactures in the simular price range as jayco have major problems such a leaking front caps split fiber glass roofs delamanation of the fiberglass slides. Jayco is not perfect either but most of the problems i have had personally or have read about on this forum can be easily repaired by a basic handyman. As for the dealer i pourposely choose a dealer close to my house just incase i had a major issue and needed to bring it in for service. One thing to consider is bringing it back to the factory to have the repairs fixed. I have read that owners who brought their rigs back have had great service. Also you have a two year warranty to get the bugs worked out. As i said before i have read about non jayco rigs devolping major problems after the one year warranty is up and the manufacrurers offer no assistance. Best of luck.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:11 AM   #6

Problems happen...

Hi RangerRob,

We had WAY more problems than what you had!

It was the first year that particular model was out, and it had a bunch of issues. Some of the issues were beyond what the dealer could handle, and as for the rest, well the unit would have been there for months.

So, we took it to the Jayco factory service center. At the factory, things move MUCH faster, as they don't have to get repairs authorized, wait for parts, work around not having special tools and equipment, etc.

They are super nice and efficient folks there, and really know how to get things done.

The unit was there for 4 days, and they did major repairs:

• Removed both slides and replaced all of the weather stripping.
  • Removed the shower and re-installed it, and added a separate vent pipe just for the shower.
  • Replaced the black tank and associated plumbing.
  • Replaced the power steps, and some burnt wiring.
  • Replaced the toilet.
  • Replaced the back-up camera.
  • Replaced some non-functioning light fixtures.
  • Replaced broken drawer hinges.
  • And, did a bunch of other small stuff (Like the coach door lock jammed and couldn't be opened).
In our opinion, if you want it done fast, and can get to the factory, that is the way to go. There are free hook-ups at the factory, there is a nice KOA a few miles away, and there is a really nice motel very close to the factory.

We choose to rent a car and stay at the motel, and play tourist for 4 days. We made a mini vacation out of the trip... there is a LOT to see and do in the area. We went to the RV museum, the Shipshawana flea market, the Amish Heritage Center, every Amish restaurant we could find, etc.

If it's an option for you, it's a great way to get everything done, and have some fun too.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:16 AM   #7

Factory busy

When I spoke to them about a month ago they were booked up into March. Might be April by now. For us, that was too long to wait and would worry us about using it in early season, and the cost to us in fuel and tire/brake wear to take the 3000 mile round trip. Our local dealer will be doing the work this winter.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:46 AM   #8
Lost in the Woods

It is unfortunate that many first time buyers are unfamiliar with what to expect from this industry.

It is reasonable to expect many problems with your unit, even from other manufacturers, because these are custom made units that move down the line and the line doesn't stop, so things don't get done.

It is reasonable to have problems with dealers, even the one you bought it from. They are normally backed up with work, tend to let their service repairmen go at the end of the season, and have to retrain newbie service repair workmen. The trend is this will get worse as the number of new owners continues to exceed percentage-wise the number of available service technicians and you can expect service costs to increase.

Many RV experienced owners won't buy new and suffer the warranty delays and list of fixes unless they plan on full-timing in the rig OR know they want and will not be selling, and are capable of doing most of the warranty repairs themselves.

In my opinion, the only way around the system is to understand this is a "toy" for the most part and that if you want something fixed it is best if you do it yourself as much as possible. So diy skills are critical for happy, relaxed, go with the flow rving.

Many will take issue with what I'm saying on the basis that they paid a lot of money and that they deserve to get a quality unit with minimal problems and quick reasonable turnaround service, but that is fanciful thinking as I understand it, with some exceptions.
For example, new Newmar buyers of their premium units have an option of going to the factory and paying around $3,500 for a technician to do a thorough inspection and fix before, takes about a week and a half, heading off into the distance with their new unit...a very savvy option.

Regardless, if you buy new, you are best advised to not leave the lot and accepted the unit until you have reasonably assured yourself, by doing your own inspection or hiring inspectors/mechanics, that the probability of having vacation ruining problems has been minimized temporarily as an RV drains a lot of money from owners as things constantly break down from all the little earthquakes the RV is exposed to.

Last week I inspected a nearly new Tiffin Allegro gas. In the front it road pretty well, but when I went into the rear it would have knocked me all over the place except for holding on tight.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:12 PM   #9

as long as buyers are willing to accept poorly made units with tons of problems as "normal" things will never change. the industry has no reason to change unless buyers hold them responsible for what they make.
rjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:27 PM   #10
Lost in the Woods

Absolutely rjackson, they are thriving on buyer's lack of awareness and assumptions that what they are buying is akin to a luxury car, with excellent quality and excellent service to be reasonably expected.

It is all about selling a dream to unsuspecting customers. After all it is a frivolous luxury entertainment item anyway for the most part...full-timers excepted...sorry, but when buying new I think frivolous works if you think deeply about it as experienced RV owners love picking up the great used RV deals out there for about 1/2 the original purchase price or less...at least that is my mindset.

Let others pick up the warranty repairs, lost time, and depreciation. If the used chassis is good, easy to upgrade the interior.

With all due respect and diy skills. I figure than a year of training in rv service repairs and inspections = a good $150k or more in savings for me on a used class A dp or $75k or more on a used Seneca.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:09 PM   #11

Well, lets see... of the 12 RV's that I've owned, this was just the second new one.

At my age, I neither needed, or wanted a "fixer-upper", I wanted move in ready, with the longest warranty that was offered.

Our first Jayco was a 25RKS trailer, and had zero defects. Absolutely everything was perfect. Now, 10 years later we switched to a motorhome, and it had many problems. Having said that, the factory service center made everything right, and even mentioned the lack of QC on that unit.

Things happen, and when they do, it's nice that there is a 2 year warranty. A few things I could have fixed myself, but most, I could have not fixed myself.

There are folks who enjoy the challenge of DIY on their RV, and 20 years ago, I would have also... I'm up to the small stuff, but removing slides, showers, tanks, not so much.

To each, his or her own

:-)
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Cairn Terrier
Old 10-12-2015, 01:13 PM   #12

I suppose I expected that buying a new coach that MSRP's for 125k they would have at least tested things to ensure they were in proper working order. It's precisely what a QC/QA department does in a company. To have one or two items fall through the cracks... It happens, but the major items should all be flawless. If not then what is the point of purchasing one of these new to begin with? As far as the technician side is concerned, I had no idea that it was seasonal work as I assumed that work would still be scheduled throughout the off season.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:17 PM   #13

Hi RangerRob,

Unless something has changed, the Factory Service Center was open year round (weather permitting).

I agree about the QC, our units never should have made it out the door.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Cairn Terrier
Old 10-15-2015, 07:14 PM   #14

We must have gotten lucky with our Greyhawk as it's had no major issues. Some of the items we noted at the PDI in August 2014 and others became apparent during our first few months of use. The first twelve were taken care of when we put it in the shop that winter. The remaining two on a second trip to the dealer, fortunately only about 30 minutes from the house.

Problems with our Greyhawk included:
1) Overhead light in shower only worked intermittently.
2) Outside shower leaked at fitting.
3) Padded edge of bunk above cab was stretched too tight when installed and was torn.
4) Defect on side upholstery of front dinette seat.
5) Several high spots with debris left beneath the vinyl flooring during assembly.
6) When running only cold water at kitchen faucet, you could hear clicks from the water heater igniter. Diverter valve in faucet was cleaned.
7) Rain leaked past the vertical gasket at rear of slide-out and ran down inside edge of slide onto floor in a storm where the slide was retracted. Slide-out was not square with the walls.
8) Multiple wires hung down beneath the chassis.
9) Chassis frame had rust in numerous places.
10) Poorly stained drawer front in kitchen.
11) Bigfoot alarm indicating a jack was not all the way up sounded on two separate occasions while driving down the road.
12) Fastener was missing on screen in emergency exit window in bedroom.
13) Seat belt restraint bolts beneath dinette and folding sofa that pass through the slide-out floor did not seem to be as tight as needed.
14) Staples in forward dinette seat were pulling out.

To date, all of the items have been repaired or replaced to our satisfaction.

I hope you can get your problems resolved. We really love using our Greyhawk. At this point we'd buy it all over again. Good luck to you.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:03 PM   #15

NC what did Jayco or Ford say about the rust.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:17 AM   #16

Frame rust

It was light surface rust on the horizontal surfaces of quite a few frame members. The vertical surfaces were fine. It looked to me like the painter at MOR/ryde or Ford sprayed the frame from the sides adequately but did not apply as much paint from beneath to the undersides of the members.

The dealer sanded it and applied a spray undercoating made by 3M as a warranty fix. It looks much between now and I'll be watching it for any reoccurrence.

Attached is a "before" photo.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
Old 10-16-2015, 09:22 AM   #17

Frame rust (cont'd.)

And as I am unable to attach two images to one post, a second "before" picture follows.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
Old 10-17-2015, 09:34 AM   #18
Lost in the Woods

"It's precisely what a QC/QA department does in a company." As I understand it, these mfgs don't have real QC/QA depts as you would expect.

These are custom units that move down a production line, not a run of a specific product, but whatever has been ordered. And the line doesn't stop, so production issues happen as the line moves and stays with the coach all the way to the dealership.

The only exception I have heard is paying Newmar something like $3,500 to do a pdi with you at the factory when you go to pick it up at the factory, and that takes over a week with one of their service technicians, as it includes inspections and all repairs.
Old 10-17-2015, 09:37 AM   #19
Lost in the Woods

"Unless something has changed, the Factory Service Center was open year round (weather permitting)." I trust you understand that there is a difference between being open year around, and how the technicians come and go.

They only keep a few technicians during the off season and then rehire for the busy season. And traditionally, the techs have come from other industries. The seasonality is common knowledge among RV service technicians...and I am one myself.

Normally, there is one highly experienced tech in the shop and the rest with mixed knowledge and experience.

The trends are upsetting. The number of techs as a percentage is declining relative to the number of expanding owners. So: 1) you can expect service costs to rise and 2) service wait times to extend.

A good diy doesn't do all the work themselves, but roughly 80% can be done out of the shop on your own.

The certifications and designations are expanding for technicians as well. As owners get wise to this, they will begin to inquire about the backgrounds, certifications, and lengths of time with the dealership. This will begin to increase the pressure on dealerships to maintain quality technicians throughout the year...and salaries for techs are already beginning to rise as dealers compete for techs.
Old 10-17-2015, 12:56 PM   #20

I noticed last week that our dealer in Raleigh had a sign on the front door, "Technician Wanted," and as we drove past the Camping World in Myrtle Beach this week I saw a large banner on their fence advertising the same.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK