Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-03-2014, 11:10 PM   #1

Problem with front TV shutting off

Haven't fully evaluated this issue yet, but the front TV just shuts off and will not come back on if the A/C starts up. Doesn't do this all the time nor when running the heat pump. (The heat pump is really just running the A/C backwards; exhausting the warm air that the A/C normally discharges outside to the inside instead. So the A/C is still running.) Only when cooling the coach does the TV shut off and not every time. It also seems that the micro is running at less than full power when the TV and the A/C are running. The real curiosity is that this only happened when we were hooked up to 50 Amp instead of 30 Amp power. On one occasion we were using a 30 to 50 adaptor because 50 Amp was the only thing available. The other situation arose at home. We had a large MH which required 50 amps. When we downsized 11 years ago, I had an electrician switch out the plug from a 50 to a 30. The circuit is still 50, but the plug is a 30 so we don't need an adapter. Any ideas appreciated.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:31 AM   #2
Site Team

Sounds like you are running on 30a. Could be low current. Did the electrician change out the internal breaker to 30a?
May need more mods and less load.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:11 AM   #3

Although don't know the details, the 50A to 30A shouldn't be a factor. 50A RV service is actually (2) 50A legs. To get a single 30A circuit requires replacing the receptacle and utilizing one leg of the power reducing the breaker to 30A. In other words, the wiring should be MORE than capable.

Assuming that the TV is shutting down because of a voltage drop, it may be time to break out the meter and start measuring. I would first start with the TV receptacle, and measure the voltage with the A/C off, then on. Then from there make a similar measurement at the RV's breaker (for the TV) and finally at the source.

Depending on the voltage at the TV outlet, check the television's manual to see if the power parameters are stated. Since you have a 2014, it should be under warranty. If the last measurement (your home power) indicates sufficient power, then it may be time to visit the dealer to see if the shore power cord, or internals may be defective? That's all I can think of.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:15 AM   #4

I have had this happen while plugged into my outlet in the garage which is only a 20A circuit. So if I have the A/C on, I basically cannot run any other large load like the microwave, vacuum, etc. So I have to be careful. However, I have noticed that the TV will shutdown when the A/C cycles on/off.

This does not occcur very often while hooked to 30A at campsites, but has happened a couple of times at one campsite I can remember.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote