Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-30-2014, 05:16 PM   #1

Problems Sanitizing FW Tank

After reading MANY posts on the subject I still can't find an answer to my issue. Sanitizing FW Tank in a 2003 Firenza MH. Purchased used and just want to do it. I followed all instructions in manual which included:

1. Prepared proper solution of bleach/water in bucket and placed the
tubing that extended out from under the Sani/Wint lever into the bleach
mixture bucket
2. Placed "Sanitize/Winterize Intake Valve" to the "Sani/Wint' position;
3. Turned "Water Heater Bypass" to the bypass position;
4. Turned on pump

Now the problem: The only way the pump will suck the bleach water
through the hose is if the faucets are open inside. Once you turn off the faucets the suction stops.

Of course, that means that the mix is going into the general plumbing and not into the FW tank.

There is no other opening to fill the tank that I (or any of my neighbors can find ) and I am pulling my hair out. I am 62 and unable to get under the unit so please don't ask me to do that unless it is absolutely necessary and calling for repairs seems eminent.

Appreciate any help; my bucket sits by the unit awaiting further instructions.
LLCRVING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 06:25 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
For the FW tank you have to but the mix in the fresh water intake on the outside of the unit. If you have a outside shower take the shower head off and put that in the FW intake (then you can use the pump). When you turn the pump on then you have to open a tap in order to get the liquid moving. Once there is pressure built the pump will shut off.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:02 PM   #3

I'm not familiar with the valve configuration you have. Does your fresh water tank have to be filled by running the pump? Do you have a "city connection" (one that fills the lines and doesn't fill the tank)? It uses the pressure that's on the supply line and your water flows without having to be pressurized by the pump.

"Country filling" is filling the tank and then drawing water from it with the pump. The newer MH's have valves that you set to direct the water to either a city or country fill. You make the choice to send the water to the holding tank or the plumbing supply lines even though the water enters from the same place. It sounds like you are lined for a city connection, and your trying to pump against a pressure head (air pressure).

Once you figure out how to line for a country fill (into the holding tank) you should be able to pull the bleach solution from your bucket. You won't be pumping against any pressure because the tank is vented. At that point, if you can't pull the solution from the bucket you might have a leak between the bucket and the pump and be sucking air instead of solution. Filling the suction hose with solution before you turn the pump on (priming) will help.

I don't think any manufacturer has made a fresh water fill that would require you to go under the MH. Also, I don't understand bypassing the water heater - that is one of the components you want to sanitize.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4323.jpg  
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:23 PM   #4

In reference to above post: The valve settings (2014 Greyhawk) are the same, 1 & 4, for country filling and sanitizing. After you are done adding bleach and water to the fresh water holding tank, you have to change the valve positions to 3 & 5 to pump it through your system. It's confusing at first, and very convenient once you get used to it.

For some reason I couldn't get this part into my first post after adding the photo as an edit. Good luck.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:51 PM   #5

Your in the sanitize/winterize lines setting. Do you have a Country Fill setting or fill tank? If so that will pump the bleach water into the tank.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:36 AM   #6

I took an oil bottle and cut a hole in the side of it. Ran it through my dishwasher when my wife was not home and I use that as a funnel to pour the water in. Works a ton better than a traditional funnel. Thats how I sanitized mine and worked great
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 01:11 PM   #7
Site Team

On my fifth wheel, the country fill settings will pull water from a container into the FW tank.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote