Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #1

Problems with Greyhawk 31DS

Hi
I recently purchased a new 2013 Greyhawk 31DS. While generally pleased, I have had a number of problems.
I have had to replace the fuel pump on the Onan generator twice. The second time, I reluctantly agreed (to the same fix) because the mechanic told me that it is very possible that Onan received a bad batch of fuel pumps from the Chinese manufacturer. It has been working so far.
The other major problem is with the fresh water tank, which had the drain hose fitting sheared by a shroud which was constantly rubbing against it when it contacted the springs underneath it.
The mechanic at the dealer investigated, and suggested it was a bad placement design. In fact, a newer model on the lot had the tank installed in a completely different position, suggesting Jayco knew about the problem with my unit, and changed the design.
Has anybody else had this problem? I expect Jayco to make it good somehow. Any suggestions as to what I should do?
Thanks in advance.
Jeff
jeffrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:29 PM   #2

#1 you can't hold JAYCO responsible for the Onan problem, if it is affecting you it is also affecting other "branded" units that bought the same generator. I would contact Onan directly. As to the water tank, your unit is under warranty and if you have numerous trips back for the same problem JAYCO has been known to cover it after the warranty expires, or they may already have a fix that your dealer could make.

The other option is, if you are close enough or will be near the factory, I would make an appintment to have it checked at their service center to see if the can be modified it to besure it doesn't happen in the future.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:34 PM   #3

I had the same issue regarding the water tank drain line problem you are speaking about. The final fix was Jayco supplying a new water tank, and having the dealer remove some shims in the springs on the driver side that were not needed because we had the automatic leveling system factory installed. It took 3 repairs to get the issue resolved correctly. They also made a modification to the shroud also. It looks like they may have shortened it some.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:03 PM   #4

Two fuel pumps on a 2013 Onan? Yikes... They build good generators, but like everyone else - some parts are out of China.
That genset needs a low pressure relatively low volume pump, I'd use the factory unit (again) and see what happens - after that, seek something else..
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:05 AM   #5

Thanks for all your good advice.
Troy M, can you tell me the name of the dealer who ultimately fixed your water tank problem?
jeffrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:55 PM   #6

DIxie rv in Hammond, La where we bought it. The fix came from Jayco when I reported that the dealer attempted to fix it two previous times.