Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-11-2017, 09:03 AM   #1

Propane Auxillary?

I am camping for two months in same location with limited RV services. I just realized that my propane is running low. I din't use the inside stove and my fridge uses shore power so obviously my on demand hot water heater runs on propane. Two questions.. does the water eater convert to electric when propane is not on and are their options to use a portable tank to supplement larger tank? I have a small tank fir my grill if this is an option. Thanks in advance! Everyday presents a new challenge!! Samsara

2015 Jayco Melbourne 29 D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:52 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
You have 3 choices with the Water Heater; Gas or Electric or both Gas and Electric.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
You have 3 choices with the Water Heater; Gas or Electric or both Gas and Electric.

Can you say more? How do I make it use electric and what do you mean "or both"?

Old 07-11-2017, 09:57 AM   #4

Your coach may be different than mine 2009 Greyhawk, I have to turn a switch on for electric to heat the hot water, I have the option either propane or electric I can use both for quicker recovery as I said I have to turn a switch on manually for electric mine is not a on demand tank. I installed a adapter on my propane tank for emergency propane from a 20lb tank
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:59 AM   #5

Our water heater has 2 switches as mentioned above. We can turn on gas and it runs on propane while dry camping. Electric for when we have hookups or the generator is running. Then we can flip on both for when we want to run both electric and propane to heat the water even faster.

There are ways to hook a second or is it your third propane tank as an aux tank. For instance if you wanted to hook up a smaller 20# tank that you can just do tank swaps with rather than the larger tanks you normally have. A quick search found this but there are other options.

Stay A While Deluxe - Mr. Heater F273734 - Propane Hoses and Adapters - Camping World
Old 07-11-2017, 11:29 AM   #6

OP mentions "on demand water heater". No electric operation for that kind, only tank units.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
OP mentions "on demand water heater". No electric operation for that kind, only tank units.

Bummer. Thanks Robby for the follow up!

Old 07-11-2017, 03:08 PM   #8

You are welcome.

And as the other say there are options to use an external propane source. I have what is known as "Extend-a-Flow/Extend-a-Stay" system, it has the ability to feed propane to an external grill or appliance and/or feed propane into the RV system from an external tank if that is what you need. When winter camping I carry 2 - 20lb BBQ tanks and use them; switching and refilling as needed. Just remember to shut off the onboard tank when you want to burn the external tank.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
You are welcome.

And as the other say there are options to use an external propane source. I have what is known as "Extend-a-Flow/Extend-a-Stay" system, it has the ability to feed propane to an external grill or appliance and/or feed propane into the RV system from an external tank if that is what you need. When winter camping I carry 2 - 20lb BBQ tanks and use them; switching and refilling as needed. Just remember to shut off the onboard tank when you want to burn the external tank.

Got it.. will order proper hose to use with my refillable 20lb tank . Thanks again.