Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-25-2016, 07:15 PM   #1

Pulling the trigger on a Seneca 37FS

Well, if all goes well with the bank...waiting for underwriting right now, I will be headed to pick up a 2016 37FS this weekend. Going to be a crazy turn around...got to do about 1300 miles round trip in about 72 hours so I can get back to work. I am hoping that the rig will be ready to go. I will spend the night in the rig in town that night just to try to do a shake down in case I need to run it back to the dealer in the morning. Is there anything I need to pay special attention to when going through it to make sure it is right? Super nervous and super excited at the same time.
RyRoRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:23 PM   #2

Welcome to the Seneca family.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:23 PM   #3

Get Roadside assistance just in case. Test all systems like levellers, AC, heat, plumbing, etc. probably should insist they have fridge started before you get there. If gen set works you can safely roll. Just did the same on a 2015 from NC to TX as pick up trip. They are great units!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BrentJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:27 PM   #4

Congratulations!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:16 PM   #5

RyRoRyan, if the unit is new you should be getting 2 years of CoachNet roadside assistance. Before you spend for stuff make sure you understand what coverage you have.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:33 PM   #6

Congratulations. You will love it. On ours the basement doors had several loose brackets that the latch would hook to and doors came open while traveling.
Colombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 07:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colombo View Post
Congratulations. You will love it. On ours the basement doors had several loose brackets that the latch would hook to and doors came open while traveling.
Over the 24,000 miles we have put on our Seneca 37FS in the last year, we have had the same problem, a couple of times with no damage. I think it is just twisting of frame going down the road. Resolved by getting a short trucker strap (black rubber strap 10 inches long with a metal "S" hook on each end) for each of the 14 locker doors and drilling out a rivet on the latch mechanism attached to the truck body and replaced with one of the "S" hooks bent tight for security. On the door, I drilled a hole that would accept the other "S" hook. I drilled this hole on the hinge or non-latching end of the locking mechanism, about 1 inch up from the bottom. Put the hole there as the second choice, as first choice was on top and one hook got jammed in locking mechanism. Luckily it was one I could get in to from the bottom through an access hole. Un-jammed with a long rod.

Before we get underway, all straps are put in place and lockers are locked.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 07:43 AM   #8

On another note, you know you are rattling your home at 60 to 70 mph down the highway. As far as latches and screws working loose, we have had 2 of the door latches work loose internally and jam the lock latch open. Upon taking apart you can see what's loose, un-jam and easily get working again. A little blue Locktite on the screw thread resolves this.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 10-27-2016, 02:03 PM   #9

So it looks like its happening...I am leaving tonight, driving to TX and will pick it up tomorrow afternoon!!!!! Glad I have the help of everyone on here to assist with mods/troubleshooting and what not. Believe it or not, this forum was a huge sway if I went with this or something else.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:32 PM   #10

Congratulations on the Seneca and be safe.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 06:05 PM   #11

Congrats. Check all appliances and systems before you leave:

Furnace
Water Heater
Refrigerator
AC Units
San-I-Con
Televisions
Outside radio
Water Pump
Toilet
Slide outs
Dump Valves
Exterior Lights
Interior Lights
Sinks and Faucets
Wood Trim
Drawers
Generator
Jacks

Best to find it before you leave... Have a blast driving it home.
LSA376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 06:00 AM   #12

Wishing you the best with your new unit. I hope you have a ball with it. Our's is now a year old and we have enjoyed every bit of it.

Please understand a new RV is like a new boat, most problems will happen in the first year. Learn the systems and learn how to deal with each situation.

If you have a major incident, please feel assured a good dealer, Freightliner and Jayco will back you up. However, that does not mean that it will be instantly fixed. These units are a collection of a whole lot of different manufacturer's equipment. Sometimes things need to be not just replaced , but built.

Still very pleased with our purchase.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 10-28-2016, 08:33 PM   #13

I have it! It is awesome. Interesting to find out that the kitchen storage is much smaller than my old one, but I have WAY more storage in my bedroom than I had before. I am now hanging out at the campsite...the dealership actually owns a campsite at the dealership and if you buy an RV you can stay here a night for free to try everything out. So far so good!
Old 10-28-2016, 08:46 PM   #14

Cool. Lets us know if any dilemmas in the am!
BrentJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 06:43 AM   #15

Congrats on the purchase and Welcome to the Seneca family!
Make sure the bunk slide goes in and out well. My only issue in two years has been the darn bunk slide being a PITA stopping part way in or out.
Toads: 2014 Ford Explorer or 1999 Jeep Wrangler
Shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:13 AM   #16

Very interesting solution with the trucker straps rgolding. I would be very interested in seeing some pictures if you could post some. Thanks!
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 06:27 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamon View Post
Very interesting solution with the trucker straps rgolding. I would be very interested in seeing some pictures if you could post some. Thanks!
I am not a picture poster. If you want to post it, send me a private email to Ricgolding at Yahoo dot com and I'll forward to you and you can post. I think, if you read my description, you should be able to visualize the solution.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 10-30-2016, 06:35 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyRoRyan View Post
I have it! It is awesome. Interesting to find out that the kitchen storage is much smaller than my old one, but I have WAY more storage in my bedroom than I had before. I am now hanging out at the campsite...the dealership actually owns a campsite at the dealership and if you buy an RV you can stay here a night for free to try everything out. So far so good!
RyRoRyan, write down your concerns, take pictures, question anything and everything. After a year, we are still discovering and working things out. Its an adventure, enjoy the ride. It is really too much to absorb in a small period of time. One thought, when you go back tomorrow, buy pizza for the service crew. Not the sales staff, they are done with you. But the service crew will answer all your future questions and fix those problems, you can't. These guys get inundated with questions and bitches, constantly. Treat them well and say thanks. I guarantee they remember the nice people and also, the ones that treated them poorly. These are now your new best friends and they do know all the secrets, you just have to ask the right question. ;-)
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 10-31-2016, 07:11 AM   #19

So made it home with no problems on the drivetrain. We did find a few problems while we were doing the PDI that looks like I will need to have my local Jayco dealer fix since they did not have the parts on hand to fix while I was there. It appears the outdoor radio is dead. He says it gets power, but it does not turn on at all. We discovered a missing screw cover on the little wall that is right behind the drivers seat. Other than that everything looked fine...until I started driving it. I was running the generator as soon as we disconnected in order to allow the AC units to keep the back of the coach cool for my kiddos. Once night fell, I turned off the gen and turned on the Inverter. That is when I started to get a beep from my fridge. Yelling at me error NO FL. It seems to be acting like it is not getting propane. I can hear the ignitor click and then the valve open and I can for sure hear a flame kick on for a half a second or so and then it turns off. I was on shore power the entire test so I never got to check the fridge on propane. Looks like I made an error there. I also noticed that my mud flap on the rear drivers side was getting eaten alive by the tire, well it appears the screw that holds half of it on was missing. Other than that it worked like a champ. Took me about an hour or so of driving it to get used to the steering setup, but once I got that figured out, all was well. Tell you what though, I REALLY wish they would have put one of those smart steering wheels on it where the cruise control and light controls are on the wheel.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:01 AM   #20

No FL on Fridge

RyRoRyan,
Congrats on the Seneca. We bought ours in April this year and love it. Still working on figuring everything out, but that's part of the fun.

Regarding the fridge, when you went off shore power/generator, it will automatically switch to propane if you have the right mode setting. If the propane tank valve isn't open, you'll get the No FL message. I've also found that even when I do open the propane valve on the tank, it may take a couple of attempts before the fridge gets the flow. So, 1) make sure propane valve is open at the tank, 2) turn fridge on, 3) make sure fridge is in "Auto" or "LP" mode.

If the fridge gives you the No FL message, turn the fridge off and on again. I've never had to do this more than 3 times and then I hear the propane ignite.
stmccormick is offline   Reply With Quote