Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-24-2013, 07:30 AM   #1

question about Tv use and reception in Greyhawk

I have a Greyhawk 27ds 2003. Does the tv and antennae need special equipment to operate it? I was told it needs a converter? Please advise I have not watched the tv yet and I would like to purchase whatever is needed. Thanks!
ted h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:52 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

If it's a newer digital HD TV you will not need a converter.

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #3

Don't think JAYCO went digital until 2007/2008. So unless the previous owner changed out the TV's you will need the box for off air.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:25 AM   #4

I have replaced the two tv's in my 27DS with flat screens. TV reception OTA is OK. I replaced the bedroom TV with an RCA 18.5" LCD that is 110v and 12v. I will soon install a 12v outlet that is connected to batteries ( I now have 2 6v golf cart batteries) so I can bypass inverter and watch TV while boondocking. I think it is more efficient to connect directly to 12v rather than change 12v to 110v and than back to 12v. I think that most if not all LED TV's have a transformer that converts 110v to 12v anyway. I will protect the 12v circuit with an inline fuse.
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:29 AM   #5

The OVER-THE-AIR digital TV signals is full blown high def full screen TV signals... Even most campground still send you analog TV signals thru their cable hookups. You will lose out on the HDTV signal if you elect to purchase an inverter to make your old TVs to work. The digital converter will converter the HDTV signal to analog mode so it will work on your old TV set. HDTV is MUCH MUCH better to watch for us...

I never used one of the converters when the Natl Broadcast changed over to digital mode. I took my old analog TVs to the dump and replaced all of them with high def TV from WALMART. I use the 22-inch VIZIO in my popup... I use a 26-inch HDTV and a 22-inch HDTV VIZIO brand in my bigger trailer which is only setup in the back yard.

You will not need to change out the BATWING crankup antenna if that is what is being used. It will work just fine. Remember you have to go to the TV menu screen of your new HDTV and select "ANTENNA" and scan in the digital TV channels just like you do at home everytime you stop somewhere when camping. You also have to push the black button in on the TV ANTENNA WALL PLATE so the small LED light comes on which is sending 12VDC up to the preamplifier that is inside the BATWING antenna. Won't work without that... You also have to point the BATWING antenna alittle sharper to the local towns then you did with the analog TV signals but you get the hang of it pretty quick on what works...

We pick up 6-36 high def TV signals just about everywhere we camp here on the East side of the US. I like to have the 24/7 RADAR station for the area we are in to keep tabs on the approaching weather fronts. Need all the advanced notice we can get camping in our off-road POPUP setup.

Try it all out at home to see what all of the ins and outs may be for you...

My TVs are 120VAC and we use an low wattage PURE SINE WAVE INVERTER direct connected to my batteries to watch OTA HDTV when camping off the power grid. Probably a 300WATT model PSW INVERTER will be best to be able to run all of the home entertainment items when you want to ... 12VDC HDTV are not that easy to locate anymore and you pay dearly to get the 12VDC mobile versions. Not necessary to have in our situation.

enjoy
Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:45 AM   #6

Guess I lucked out.... Recently bought a 12VDC NAXA NT2207 22" LED HDtv (with lots of neat features). Paired it up with my existing stock DVD surround system in my 21FB. When I am just watching OTA, I plug the TV into the cigarette lighter/antenna amp wall plate. When watching DVDs, I plug it in (120VAC) into a WAGAN 400 watt MSW inverter with the DVD player then plug the inverter into the 12VDC wall plate. This setup works awesome! (mounted the TV on a VESA articulating mount that allows the tv to be removed easily when we get home) Tv was 169.00 on Amazon (cant find that deal anymore) and the inverter was 40 bucks on Amazon. (Inverter also charges our phones at the same time through the USB ports).
Old 10-01-2013, 10:06 PM   #7

If you have an old tube tv and you replace it with a LCD TV you will save a lot of weight as well.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote