Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-14-2016, 03:02 PM   #11

Quote:
can anyone give me a ballpark of what this thing costs to insure?
You can go to progressive.com and play around with different deductibles and options but ours is right around $75/mo.

Old 10-14-2016, 03:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyRoRyan View Post
Hey all...one more question...can anyone give me a ballpark of what this thing costs to insure? Am I looking somewhere in the $100 or less range per month or like several hundred dollars a month? I only have insured by 5th for things like wind and hail etc, it is covered normally by my trucks coverage as the towed vehicle. Since this wont be, I am just trying to get an idea of total cost of ownership.
I have full coverage with $500 collision deductible and it is $1,100 a year. Shopped Good Sam, Progressive, and some others. I have State Farm for everthing else and they matched Progressive which was otherwise lowest.

Toads: 2014 Ford Explorer Sport or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 01:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltW View Post
Oh, I find there to be enough electrical outlets but the kitchen outlet placement is not ideal. Coffee maker and toaster with short cords are not happy there. I suggest to Jayco that instead of the whole drawer assembly sliding out just have a work surface slide out. That would enlarge the drawers there and allow for different placement of outlets.
I found an inexpensive and simple solution... I ran a short extension cord for the coffee maker down beside the Microwave. The female end of the extension cord is at the back corner of the microwave and the Coffee Maker plugs in without any issues. I plugged the extension cord into the outlet that powers the Microwave (that is on the Inverter circuit that can run in the early AM without having to start the Generator and wake everyone up)
SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:57 PM   #14

Ok all here is an update...

Went to go look at the rig today. Sales guy basically gave me the keys and left me alone for an hour or so with it. I did not take it out driving since I did all this almost at closing time...not really my fault since the website says they closed at 6 but when I got there they close at 5. I got there at 4 thinking I could do a drive and close inspection of the unit...only got to do one.

I have not talked numbers to the guy yet but am interested in it as long as they can clean up all the issues that I found. I know that no rig comes perfect from the factory, but there was quite a few bugs that I found (see below). I am guessing that many of you who have bought new had a pretty long repair checklist before you took delivery.

I love the fact that it has an Onan 8000 generator. Should be more than enough power for everything in that unit. Unfortunately it had less than 1/4 tank of fuel so I could not check and run that.

Outside - I love the paint on it...this one has the Topaz option. I cant believe how much storage that thing has on it...it is ridiculous. The outside TV and radio were missing, the sales guy thinks that the service guys are borrowing from peter to pay Paul to get another rig out quickly. The sales guy moved it before I got there and apparently the water heater or gas heater (whatever is under the fridge) panel fell off the coach and he cant find it right now. The freightliner parts of it look VERY well built. Love the easy access to the engine bay. The only other little bug on the outside was that the door to the battery compartment would not open the full 90 degrees and therefor the battery slide would not slide out. I am guessing that some of the accessories are stashed inside the store somewhere as the macerator hose was not connected and non existent. I think it comes with a 21 ft macerator hose if i recall correctly. I also noticed that the water filter was cracked and laying on the floor. I think that was broke by human force as the unit has not been cold enough to freeze yet and also there was antifreeze (aka pink stuff) in the lines system.

Inside - I like the fact the drivers chairs on on air but I wish they would turn around and face the living area. I could not tell if there is a way to close up the cab area from the living area or close the windshield. It appears, unless again it is stored in the accessories box in the store, that it may not come with one. Did you guys have to buy something to prevent people from looking in from the front windows or does it come with something to block that area out? The lights in the unit in general were not working correctly as some of them would come on and some would not. Some lights were dimmer than others on the ceiling. You could tell something was not working right...and it was not just on one switch. Like two or three different areas not working correctly. Couch is comfy and I like that the dinette drops easily. The MCD shades are a nice touch. I now see the issue of there not being enough 120v plugs in the unit, and really see the issue with the kitchen one being so high up at the cabinets, but REALLY like SloPokes idea of using an extension cord or maybe a power strip hooked up to the microwave outlet. The bathroom is nice, but it appears someone decided to steal the shower door handles/knobs. I like the idea of a king in the master, but I think that a queen would be better for that space with the addition of a nightstand on the one side that does not have one. I did notice a wire loom hanging out of the bottom of the master closet slide but that can be easily just tucked back up and secured. I am going to look at putting gas shocks/springs on the bed lift, as that not being there is a complete oversight to me. I also noticed that the living room slide may not have been lined up well as you can see places on the floor where the slide has rubbed on the vinyl floor when going in and out.

Minus the stuff on the punch list I REALLY like the coach and love that it can sleep my entire family of 9. All that has to be done now is make sure my DW is still on board with this and then see if we can come up with a reasonable total price for everything after I actually do a test drive. Ahh the stress of buying a new RV. My only sad part of this is that I am going to sell/trade in my truck with this too since wont really need or afford to have my truck and this at the same time. Fun times.

Ryan
RyRoRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 01:21 PM   #15

We bought our rig as second owners... it is a 2015 and was still covered by the Original owners warranty plan. since the dealership had not "sold the unit" to the second owner, the warranty still applies. The dealership went thru and fixed everything on our coach to PDI new. That oddly included a new transfer switch, two new AC/Heat Pumps, lights, trim and other odds/ends. of course it took them a while to get it all done, but they did complete all of those issues. We love our 36FK!
SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:07 PM   #16

Quote:

I love the fact that it has an Onan 8000 generator. Should be more than enough power for everything in that unit.
I added a tank-style water heater with electric element and a combo washer/dryer, had all that going as well as the two air conditioners all on the generator. No issues whatsoever.

The outside TV and radio were missing, the sales guy thinks that the service guys are borrowing from peter to pay Paul to get another rig out quickly.
When I was shopping for my unit all of the lot units were missing their TV's inside and out. Some dealerships remove them as a matter of course to discourage theft.

I could not tell if there is a way to close up the cab area from the living area or close the windshield. It appears, unless again it is stored in the accessories box in the store, that it may not come with one. Did you guys have to buy something to prevent people from looking in from the front windows or does it come with something to block that area out?
It should come with a curtain that does close off the windshield. It attaches with clips behind the headrests on the rear cab wall and then there are velco tabs above driver and passenger windows. You hook it around the sunvisors then. But many people also buy aftermarket sunshades to help keep the cab cooler in the sun. Here are links to the ones I got from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also re-purposed the rear bed's bedspread as a "drape" between the cab and living area. Keeps the unit cooler, even with the sunshades a lot of heat builds up in the cab. Also keeps the cold out when we winter camp. We think it makes it look less like a "truck" and more like a home. Picture below.

The lights in the unit in general were not working correctly as some of them would come on and some would not. Some lights were dimmer than others on the ceiling. You could tell something was not working right...and it was not just on one switch. Like two or three different areas not working correctly.
Mine is a 2014 but all the ceiling lights are the same brightness. Never heard of that problem before.

I like the idea of a king in the master, but I think that a queen would be better for that space with the addition of a nightstand on the one side that does not have one.
I shrunk my bed to Queen modifying the platform and the base. Replaced the uncomfortable foam "Denver" mattress with an innerspring one. Just spent my first weekend on it and I love it!

I am going to look at putting gas shocks/springs on the bed lift, as that not being there is a complete oversight to me.
If I am correct, the FS model you are considering has a fixed bed platform, so adding lift-assist struts is possible. You may have to beef-up where the struts attach since they are not part of the original design. On other Seneca floorplans the bed slides over the base platform making traditional lift strut installation impossible.

I also noticed that the living room slide may not have been lined up well as you can see places on the floor where the slide has rubbed on the vinyl floor when going in and out.
That seems to be an issue many other owners have reported. Mine had to be adjusted and then 3 or four scraped tiles had to be replaced.
Drape picture:
Attached Thumbnails
Cab drape.jpg  
Old 10-17-2016, 10:59 AM   #17

Rob are you a full timer? You seem to know much more about them (and done many more mods/upgrades) than the average man.

So regarding the slides, I have one HUGE problem that I can see. On the brochures, it states that every Seneca in 2016 has tile and carpet, however from what I can see the 2016 FS's...at least first few ones that I have looked at online ALL have vinyl fake wood flooring instead of the tiles that can be replaced. I would REALLY hate to have to replace the entire floor, to fix those runs. I REALLY dont like the vinal floors because if a or something small does get stuck under the slide, it will crease the floor. On a tile floor, in some cases, it will destroy the small thing..dirt chunks, plastic beads or what not, but yes in some cases it will hurt the tile, but at least you get to replace just the one tile and you are back in business. With the vinyl, you are almost always going to hurt it and to fix it you have to cut out that section and then perfectly match the pattern and find a way to hide the seams where you cut it. I have a call in Jayco to figure out whats up there.
RyRoRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:13 AM   #18

Quote:
Rob are you a full timer? You seem to know much more about them (and done many more mods/upgrades) than the average man.
No, just a part-time traveler who retired from the fire department last year and still have a working wife! But I have always been a "tinkerer" and I love modding the RV. Did the same thing with my prior two Class C's.

I have seen newer units with the woodgrain flooring and they do look nice, but I am happy I have the individual tiles. I ordered some spares anticipating making a "trap" for the entry door stepwell, but just haven't done that job yet!
Old 10-17-2016, 11:16 AM   #19

My 2014 has the 'wood' floor but they are individual pieces. They got wet one time and you can see them bulging a little at each end in front of the fridge.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
We bought our rig as second owners... it is a 2015 and was still covered by the Original owners warranty plan. since the dealership had not "sold the unit" to the second owner, the warranty still applies. The dealership went thru and fixed everything on our coach to PDI new. That oddly included a new transfer switch, two new AC/Heat Pumps, lights, trim and other odds/ends. of course it took them a while to get it all done, but they did complete all of those issues. We love our 36FK!
We did exactly the same thing on a 2015 36FK - original couple bought it, took one trip, and brought it back in favor of a Class A. They didn't own it long enough to activate the warranty, so Jayco considered us the original owner - at least for a time. They were great about shipping replacement parts when things broke (outside TV, coach door keypad, cabinet hinges, etc) and I could fix/replace myself. We saved a sizeable punch list after the first year and that's when Jayco discovered we weren't the original owners and wouldn't honor the warranty. I was happy to get a year of warranty coverage but wish I had some of the more expensive stuff done earlier.

Moral of the story - be aware that Jayco could change their mind on the warranty thing if they discover you aren't the original owner.

2014 Honda CR-V toad

anav8or is offline   Reply With Quote