Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-09-2017, 12:58 PM   #1

Rattles & Squeaks on 2017 Melbourne 24L

We have a new Melbourne 24L and all the squeaks and rattles going down the road are deafening. And we don't have anything in the rig yet (i.e. dishes, pots & pans, etc.). Mostly, it seems the entry door to the coach part is the biggest culprit. Any suggestions on how I might go about silencing these rattles. I've taken everything out of the microwave oven and put a dish towel under the glass cover between it and the burners on the stovetop. Thank you for any ideas.
freetoroam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 04:53 PM   #2

It takes awhile to find all the sources and even then some you can't seem to stop. I added some sound deadening material to some of the sheet metal of the microwave and also some foam in between it and the metal mounting bracket. The vent for the stove has a flap that kind of snaps in place on the outside. I assume you snap it in when you are not using it. Anyway it comes loose from time to time and I am able to reach it standing in the entry step. About the only thing that pops and creaks now is the dinette slide. While I am driving I can reach around and there is a metal piece that runs vertical on the wall that I can feel pops and creaks. Not sure how to deal with that and or if it is normal. As far as road noise the metal angle strip with grip paper on the transition from cab to coach is a large contributor. I removed that an you can see ground and the drive shaft. I started a thread on that here how I dealt with it.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5...ise-45703.html

Good luck
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:14 PM   #3

Pfflyer; thank you for suggestions. By stuffing towels between the screen door and outer door, we were able to tolerate the noise to make it home. Also have shimmy in front end above 62 mph. MB dealer did road force balancing and pronounced the problem "corrected", but we feel it is a terribly rough ride, maybe just the nature of the beast and the bad roads in our state. We traded a Class A diesel to downsize to this and maybe expectations unrealistic since air suspension gave much smoother ride. We need to give it a fair chance, but we're definitely not in love with this little rig yet.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:16 AM   #4

Someone else here had a problem with the door and I believe they got it fixed under warranty. Only issue I had with handling was when being passed by truck or in windy conditions. This was solved by installing a heavier rear sway bar and Sumo Springs bump stops all around. The biggest noticeable improvement was the sway bar. Both are easy installs to do yourself. The sway bar and rear Sumo's were installed with out any jacking and the front Sumo's required some lifting but the wheels stayed on. Price has gone up on the sway bar.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought the fronts from Ebay. Sorry I don't have a link.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:46 AM   #5

Pfflyer, thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I'm a bit baffled by the whole wheel balancing thing. This is a brand new rig, 1100 miles. MB stated the rims were 'after-market' and not what they deliver with the 3500 chassis to the rv mfgs. They did what they called a 'road force balance' and charged for the service, said not covered under warranty. Jayco says they do not change out the rims, that it had to have been done after the rig left their factory. You seem very knowledgeable about this product, what do you make of all this?
Old 07-10-2017, 02:15 PM   #6

Shimmy ay 62

freetoroam,
I also have the shimmy at 62. It was there when I drove it 200 miles to get home. Had the front wheels balanced by Les Schwab tire co. Didn't help.
I've had the 24k out to MCB - they say its not the alloy wheel but the tires are suspect. Jayco was closed last week and my dealer contact was on vacation so I'm not progressing very fast. Some on the forum have had success with 'road force balancing' which is not a new procedure and some had the wheels changed out and the problem went away. My wheels/tires did not pass the road force test at MCB.
The dealer is supposed to call me tomorrow after contacting Jayco and the local MCB dealer.
We'll see.

BullDozerBob
BullDozerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:52 PM   #7

BullDozerBob, good luck with your rig. Keep us posted on the outcome. MBS here did the road force balance and pronounced our problem corrected; but, my husband still feels there's a shimmy at 62 mph. Maybe that's just how these rigs handle and we need to lower our expectations for a smooth ride. What we're confused about is why MBS says these are after-market rims, and Jayco says they don't change the rims. Wheel gremlins at work......!!!!
Best of luck to you.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetoroam View Post
BullDozerBob, good luck with your rig. Keep us posted on the outcome. MBS here did the road force balance and pronounced our problem corrected; but, my husband still feels there's a shimmy at 62 mph. Maybe that's just how these rigs handle and we need to lower our expectations for a smooth ride. What we're confused about is why MBS says these are after-market rims, and Jayco says they don't change the rims. Wheel gremlins at work......!!!!
Best of luck to you.
Here is a thread that both of you may be interested in.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5...ion-46938.html
Old 07-11-2017, 12:27 PM   #9

We just changed out our smaller sway bar for the Hellwig, and it made a huge difference - the best improvement we've made so far.

Our striker plate was adjusted properly and our door was tight, but we also had door noise and an annoying squeak. We added weather stripping around the top of the door, and it took the rattles and squeaks almost completely away.

We've never owned a Class A but are assuming you'll never have the same kind of ride with the Melbourne. We've talked to people with other models and sizes of Class Cs, and they all seem to be a little rough in the wind.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:57 PM   #10

If you see previous thread linked above, I fixed my vibration. To add to that, it is a completely motorhome- no squeaks
Vezfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:42 AM   #11

Quote:
We have a new Melbourne 24L and all the squeaks and rattles going down the road are deafening. And we don't have anything in the rig yet (i.e. dishes, pots & pans, etc.). Mostly, it seems the entry door to the coach part is the biggest culprit. Any suggestions on how I might go about silencing these rattles. I've taken everything out of the microwave oven and put a dish towel under the glass cover between it and the burners on the stovetop. Thank you for any ideas.
We have the same vehicle and our two noisiest rattles were the microwave/convection oven racks and the dining table. We simply wrapped the microwave/convection oven racks in a towel to get rid of that rattle. Regarding the dining table, no matter how much we tightened it, it still rattled. To fix this issue is we took our the table stand and put the table top on the dining seating, as you would when converting this area to a sleeping area. END of those two rattles. Still trying to figure out one or two others.

Will try the deadening idea noted by others on the screen door.
jkaras7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
Someone else here had a problem with the door and I believe they got it fixed under warranty. Only issue I had with handling was when being passed by truck or in windy conditions. This was solved by installing a heavier rear sway bar and Sumo Springs bump stops all around. The biggest noticeable improvement was the sway bar. Both are easy installs to do yourself. The sway bar and rear Sumo's were installed with out any jacking and the front Sumo's required some lifting but the wheels stayed on. Price has gone up on the sway bar.

I bought the fronts from Ebay. Sorry I don't have a link.
Pfflyer, thanks for the idea on dealing with the handling issue when being passed by big rigs. We are looking into what sway bars work on our 2016 chassis to our 2017 Melbourne 24L.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaras7 View Post
Pfflyer, thanks for the idea on dealing with the handling issue when being passed by big rigs. We are looking into what sway bars work on our 2016 chassis to our 2017 Melbourne 24L.
It will most likely be the one I have linked above.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:20 PM   #14

I put thick potholders between the glam and the burners on the cooktop. Pad anything in the microwave. The shower door rattles so we put in some soft foam between the frame and the latch. The windows above the dinette to be closed tightly, the have a tendency to rattle. I wrap all my drinkware in sheets of packing foam. ANYTHING hanging on the walls is noisy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
pamanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:11 PM   #15

Pfflyer, thank you. Greatly appreciate your help.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:54 AM   #16
dsh

Quote:

I know exactly what you mean! I bought little felt stick-on circles and put them everywhere I could. The dinette table was a big rattle for us. When we're on the road I take it off the post and put it in the bed.
dsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:00 AM   #17
dsh

Quote:
Pfflyer, thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I'm a bit baffled by the whole wheel balancing thing. This is a brand new rig, 1100 miles. MB stated the rims were 'after-market' and not what they deliver with the 3500 chassis to the rv mfgs. They did what they called a 'road force balance' and charged for the service, said not covered under warranty. Jayco says they do not change out the rims, that it had to have been done after the rig left their factory. You seem very knowledgeable about this product, what do you make of all this?

We had our new 24L at 3 different shops including MB before we got the tire problem fixed. Final fix was a true balancing where the tires have to be "trimmed" to get the flat spots out and make the tire round again.
dsh is offline   Reply With Quote