Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-12-2017, 02:22 PM   #1

Rear overhang of Seneca

I am working on how I am going to park my Seneca when it arrives. Can anyone tell me how much the RV hangs past the rear wheels? I trying to make sure it works on the pad I have for my 30 ft. TT.

Thanks.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:39 PM   #2

The wheel bases are (269 /22.4' to 275 /22.9') almost identical, so it will depend on which unit you ordered.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:21 PM   #3

Our 36FK is 13ft - 6in from the centerline of the rear tire - to the ladder on the rear of the coach.
SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 03:26 PM   #4

From the center of the rear wheel to the back of the ladder is 12' 10" on my 2015 Seneca 37TS. I've heard the new ones don't have a rear ladder, just something to consider.
Previous RVs: 3 truck campers and 2 fifth wheels
Love the Seneca. Toad 2018 Ford F-150
Mnwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 03:59 PM   #5

That's what I needed. Thank you.

And yes, no more ladders.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:02 PM   #6

Ok, so I went out to my RV pad in the yard with tape measure in hand and started measuring. I checked the measurements I wrote down and measured again. And that confirmed it.

This new Seneca is going to be BIG! It just sunk in. OMG!!!
Old 02-14-2017, 06:54 AM   #7

Why would Jayco opt out of the ladder? Those Seneca's are TALL ....

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:22 AM   #8

reason for no ladder

I'm not sure why they opted not to put a ladder on the 2017's, but it does give it a cleaner look on the rear of the coach. I carry a telescoping ladder anyway to hang a sun shade from my awning, so I can just use that to get on top of the coach if needed. The roof is now fiberglass, so maybe they thought that a person wouldn't have need to get on the roof to inspect it quite as often as I would with a membrane roof.

Former:
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Toad: 2009 Ford Flex
jvteach77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 10:28 AM   #9
TLC

Just got a '17 31DS. No ladder on it. Supposed to be standard equipment but I'm not going to miss it.
TLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 04:38 PM   #10

The ladder was not an option when I ordered last week.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvteach77 View Post
I'm not sure why they opted not to put a ladder on the 2017's, but it does give it a cleaner look on the rear of the coach. I carry a telescoping ladder anyway to hang a sun shade from my awning, so I can just use that to get on top of the coach if needed. The roof is now fiberglass, so maybe they thought that a person wouldn't have need to get on the roof to inspect it quite as often as I would with a membrane roof.
+1
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 06:48 PM   #12
TLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
The ladder was not an option when I ordered last week.

Looking again I see the ladders were dropped off the '17 models as standard equipment.
TLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:44 PM   #13

You may still have to inspect the fibreglass just as often. Twice a year you need to check all of the seals for everything on the roof anyway. My first motor home with a full fibreglass roof was sold as Maintenance Free. Being new I thought "great". I left it for the first year. During the second year I had maintenance done at the dealer and found two minor leaks already. The removal of the ladder could just be cost savings. Not many people decide on a model or even a brand based on the ladder.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:56 AM   #14

Twice a year

I get on the roof twice a year to do normal maintenance and inspection anyway. When I said less often, I meant I don't get up there after every brush with a low hanging tree limb or when I hear a limb hit the membrane roof that was on my Greyhawk. I started checking after each stop where we were under trees after I found a small piece of a limb that had stuck straight into the membrane and broke off in the roof. Luckily the piece that remained in the roof kept water out b/c there was no water intrusion even though I didn't catch it until after it had rained on the roof a few times.

Former:
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Toad: 2009 Ford Flex
jvteach77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:41 PM   #15

I have to say the ladder is a 'Must'. in addition to the comments about getting up there and inspecting every so often... I have had to get up there twice this year to clear snow and Ice off my slide toppers - Just to get the slides in.

Yes, I can already hear the comments about not camping in the colder climates, but that IS what the Seneca is built for and does quite well (except for the slide toppers).

The Carefree topper on the Dinette slide is pretty flat between the spring-roller and the coach side, and does not take much more than a chunk of ice to catch the top lip of the slide cover and wedge itself between the side of the coach. (happened again on New Years day)

The ladder comes in handy when you MUST get up there to clear / fix something, and YES! it can be slippery up there too. I'm going to make up a extension pole with an articulated broom on the end for the next time - to avoid getting up there in the snow/ice/frost.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:57 PM   #16

I think you will be on that roof more than you think.
Mwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 12:56 AM   #17

With all the above being said, the ladder is still no longer an option. I will have to carry a collapsable-telescopic ladder instead of the roof mounted.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:36 AM   #18

When it snows I do not put any slides out. I can use everything inside the Rv with the slides in. I have a ladder on the back of my Seneca but I carry a collapsible telescoping ladder anyway. I use a washing brush on a long telescoping pole to sweep between the slide topper and top of the slide when stuff blows in there from trees. We camp in snowing conditions a couple time a year and in parks with a lot of trees a lot. I always sweep pine needles and leafs off the slide toppers prior to retraction. It does not take much to cause a slide seal to leak. Keeping everything clean prevents leaks.
Previous RVs: 3 truck campers and 2 fifth wheels
Love the Seneca. Toad 2018 Ford F-150
Mnwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote