Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-01-2016, 05:56 PM   #1

rear slideout

Just got back form our 5th trip in our 2016 Greyhawk 29ME, went to make the bed...put out levelers..tried to put rear slide out..started so move then went off to one side and stopped...tired to move back in...pulls to one side stops again..now my slide is crooked and stuck...any suggestions? It is a Power Gear slideout system...
msbummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 06:18 PM   #2

I had something similar happen to my Seneca, also with a Power Gear slide assembly. It was my kitchen slide that was affected, but maybe yours is similar.

My system has one motor but 3 slideout "rack" assemblies. The motor is in the center and has shafts that are tied together so all racks work in sync. On my rig the collar that connected the shafts together had a 1/4" bolt, washer, and nut that tied one shaft to the next. Somehow one of the nuts fell off first and then that bolt came out out of the collar. That disconnected the front shaft from the rest. Just like you described that slideout end seemed to go the opposite direction until the slide would bind and the motor would stall.

I was able to push the slide straight from the outside to get it "unstuck", then I had my grandson operate the switch to retract the slide while I pushed that end in. It retracted and allowed me to get to the next campground. There I was able to diagnose what had happened and sourced a replacement Grade 8 bolt, washer, and nut. I used Loctite on the assembly to (hopefully) keep the nut on forever! It worked fine after that.

Good luck!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 06:29 PM   #3

Here is a drawing of my kind of slide assembly and you can see how there are shafts with the collars held together by the through-bolts. Maybe that helps illustrate what I found with my rig.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Slideout export.pdf (48.3 KB, 84 views)
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 08:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbummy View Post
Just got back form our 5th trip in our 2016 Greyhawk 29ME, went to make the bed...put out levelers..tried to put rear slide out..started so move then went off to one side and stopped...tired to move back in...pulls to one side stops again..now my slide is crooked and stuck...any suggestions? It is a Power Gear slideout system...
msbummy...
I realize this happened when your rig was nearly new, mine is 4 years old and has the same problem with the rear slide. Just wondering how you managed to fix yours. I just got mine out of storage where it has been for 6 months, and when I tried to put the rear slide out, it cocked to one side and quit. I checked all the venues that could be holding it, keeping it from sliding but found nothing. Checked all fuses, still doesn't work. Any info you might have would be appreciated.
OzCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 03:21 PM   #5

Our problem turned out to be one of the plug in wires was not pushed all the way in. My husband found it quite by accident and fortunately that was all that was wrong. The wires are located on the outside of the slide wall (when the slide is pulled in) near the floor. There are two motors on that slide, one was unplugged, thus the crooked action. Hope this helps and your turns out to be this easy.
msbummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 06:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbummy View Post
Our problem turned out to be one of the plug in wires was not pushed all the way in. My husband found it quite by accident and fortunately that was all that was wrong. The wires are located on the outside of the slide wall (when the slide is pulled in) near the floor. There are two motors on that slide, one was unplugged, thus the crooked action. Hope this helps and your turns out to be this easy.
Thanks for the input. I drilled it down to the circuit board being compromised by water. For some reason, this circuit board housing was screwed to the floor, almost right under the filter unit. Since that appeared to be the problem after finding the exploded filter assembly, I have to think that was the problem. The passenger side would try to open when pushing the button and the drivers side of slide out (slide out opens out the back rather than the side) would not budge. Finally, after checking all wiring connections, and using an electronic spray to try and clean the circuit board, I disconnected the right side that worked, and plugged it into the the side that didn't work...the driver side worked, but right side wouldn't. It could still be a wiring issue, but decided the condition of the circuit board and housing had signs of rust warranted replacement. The cheapest I could find a new replacement was 350 dollars plus shipping...Some of them were going for 400 plus. I ordered through Amazon, so if that doesn't do it, I may be able to return it...Part should be here Wednesday...
Old 05-19-2021, 06:18 AM   #7

I'm happy to report the new rear slide circuit board replacement fixed the slide out problem. When I remounted, I moved it to the back wall, about a foot off the flooring where it had been located and subsequently got wet. I also replaced the filter and assembly unit and that fixed my water fill issue...Testing after installation, the only other leak I had was from the outside shower head...replacement unit on the way...