Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-06-2012, 08:42 AM   #1

Rear Taillight moisture problem

I bought my 2010 Jayco Melbourne - used - in July 2012. I've only taken it out 6 times and only once in the rain. After I got to the campground and was ready to leave, I did a walk around to check the lights. I found that the rear taillight (Turn signal, Parking light, 2 back up lights) lens was 1/2 full of water and my brake/turn signal light was not working since it had been sitting in water. I took the taillight off and dumped the water out. I then noticed that the paint (chrome) was deteriorated to where it was not shiny chrome (to reflect the light) anymore, but black as the back was. This told me that this taillight has had water in it before and for a long time. Drove it home and once again it had water in it and the lights didn't work. Took the lens off, dumped the water out, blew more moisture out with an air hose and then reseated the lights. I then put silicone around the two plastic pieces where they join, put some gasket tape between the metal frame and where the back of the lens would meet, and put a plug in the frame where the wires come through. With Hurricane Sandy last week, I have not moved my coach, but there is condensation back in the lens. Has anyone had any similar problems with the Jayco Taillights? Or know if this was, by chance, a recall? It is only the right side that I am having problems with. It also is a scare since moisture shorts out the lights and I lose the right rear turn signal, brake light and running light which will eventually be a ticket. I don't know any more I can do and there are no cracks in the plastic.
gdetty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #2

I had the same type of problem with my rear right brake light. My camper was still under warranty and the dealer sealed it with some type of caulk. I haven't had the bulb blow or moisture in the lens since. Could there have been moisture in the light when you sealed it? I would reseal it when the sun is shinning on it. Take the lens off and make sure it is completely dry inside.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:19 AM   #3

I wanted to update this post. I contacted JAYCO with my problem and they replied with a 'Good news bad News" response. First the bad news. Warranty issues are only applied to the original owner and I am not the original owner. Now the good news. JAYCO is going to send me a replacement curbside rear tail light assembly free of charge. This "IS" remarkable and with me being a new camper, and a new RV buyer/owner I can only say this makes me very happy that I bought a JAYCO and they stand behind their product. It is something like this that makes people loyal to a product.
gdetty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:29 PM   #4

It is good to hear you will have a "happy" outcome.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #5

"Like!" This echoes my very positive experiences with Jayco customer service (as another used RV buyer).

2000 Jayco Designer 3230
32' - E450 - Triton V10
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote