Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-14-2015, 06:43 PM   #1

red line

very interesting there is no red line on the ford v10 engines, i wondered why because i haul a car a lot in the 4000 to 5000 rpm range, guess what no need ford says because their is a rev limiter, see what retired people think of
walkingeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:24 PM   #2

I have never noticed a "rev limiter". When pulling up a hill, and towing, if I have my cruise control set, it will just keep downshifting, trying to maintain the preset speed, to the point I don't like reving the engine that much. I usually back off the speed when the RPM's get to 4,000. But I am sure there are others that rev their engine way more than that, based upon how many people pass me in similar RV's when I am going uphill!
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:47 AM   #3

I think most modern vehicles have rev limiters. The ECMs wont let you blow the motors.

Case in point: Years ago DW bought a brand new Mustang GT with 5 spd manual trans (2004 or 5, the year of the big redesign, fun car). I was driving it one day and decided to stand on it. I was just getting ready to shift to 2nd at about 200 over redline, and the car dumped the throttle. It opened back up immediately after the shift, but that was a nasty transition.

These modern computer controlled systems won't let themselves be destroyed willingly.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:34 AM   #4

I was unintentionally present when a person I do not know apparently in some sort of rage attempted to blow up his engine in an almost new full size van by holding the pedal to the floor in neutral. It rode the rev limiter until he composed himself and eventually stopped his rage and came back to idle. Seemed like several minutes on the floor. I don't think he hurt it much, but it was something to watch and hear.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote