Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-08-2016, 08:58 AM   #1

Redhawk Camera Addition/Swap

Our 17 Redhawk has the factory backup camera but it's integrated into the 3rd brake light and only shows a few feet behind the bumper. We will be towing a jeep and I'd really like to have something that lets me see more area behind us.

Does anyone know if the wire connection at the camera can be disconnected and replace it with an adjustable camera? I'd prefer not to rewire it.

My other thought is to just add a second camera to get both views. We have the Garmin 660 RV nav that works with the optional camera but I'm wondering if the refresh rate is high enough to use as an always on camera going down the road.

This is our first motorhome and towing a vehicle behind me that I can't see well is causing me some concern.
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:21 PM   #2

Disclaimer - the rear view camera on our Greyhawk can be left on, so this is a guess.

When I installed a wireless Bup camera on our old motorhome, they all seemed to have similar power connectors. If it were me, I'd probably grab just the cable/cord off eBay for a few bucks. ( Assuming the camera can be aimed up. Some are just set in plastic and cannot. )

Then I'd try to figure out how to run the wire from some 12V source to the camera.

Or - you can say "#$%^ it, and buy a second wireless camera, also off eBay, for $80 give or take" and wire that one in yourself. Then you have two monitors to watch, but it might be easier.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 06:11 AM   #3

On some other thread I read that you can change the viewing angle by loosening the existing light/camera combo and installing some washers on the bottom screws to raise it up a bit. Of course make sure you seal everything up when finished.
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 05:43 PM   #4

Had same issue. I just purchased first motorhome and move up from a previous 5th wheel where I had installed a camera at the back of the trailer on the roof and adjusted it to view down range therefore giving a wide view of the area behind me. I have done the same thing with the motorhome. At first did not want to make two small holes in the roof (rather than the fiber glass back panel) but if sealed properly with Dicor sealant I think will never be a problem. At any rate the camera is far superior to that put in by the factory and now I have two views. The issue here is I did run new cable across the top of the awning rail and down the side to bottom of coach and then into the coach. Its a little work to install but it is only done once and should I ever have need to replace the camera it is very simple to do at the camera end of cable. This worked very well for the previous 5th wheel giving unparalleled views of highway. And now I have added a camera with night vision on the motorhome. The views are absolutely fantastic. Hard to believe I can see so much in the dark. There are wireless units available but there are many places where the signal fades and this is unacceptable for real time viewing in heavy traffic on the road. There are many companies selling backup kinds of camera but I personally like Roscoe Camera Systems because they are the principal supplier of backup cameras, and camera equipment to the industry in the US with excellent tested and validated products and excellent specifications. When they publish their camera will withstand 150F they guarantee it in writing. They are not Ebay.
xmtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 06:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmtraveler View Post
Had same issue. I just purchased first motorhome and move up from a previous 5th wheel where I had installed a camera at the back of the trailer on the roof and adjusted it to view down range therefore giving a wide view of the area behind me. I have done the same thing with the motorhome. At first did not want to make two small holes in the roof (rather than the fiber glass back panel) but if sealed properly with Dicor sealant I think will never be a problem. At any rate the camera is far superior to that put in by the factory and now I have two views. The issue here is I did run new cable across the top of the awning rail and down the side to bottom of coach and then into the coach. Its a little work to install but it is only done once and should I ever have need to replace the camera it is very simple to do at the camera end of cable. This worked very well for the previous 5th wheel giving unparalleled views of highway. And now I have added a camera with night vision on the motorhome. The views are absolutely fantastic. Hard to believe I can see so much in the dark. There are wireless units available but there are many places where the signal fades and this is unacceptable for real time viewing in heavy traffic on the road. There are many companies selling backup kinds of camera but I personally like Roscoe Camera Systems because they are the principal supplier of backup cameras, and camera equipment to the industry in the US with excellent tested and validated products and excellent specifications. When they publish their camera will withstand 150F they guarantee it in writing. They are not Ebay.
Did you connect this to the factory rear view camera monitor or use a 2nd monitor? Great info... Thank you!
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:25 AM   #6

Our only concern while towing the car behind the motorhome; Is the tow bar still connected to the car?
More importantly is a level tow bar, supplemental braking, signal and brake lights, and a break-away system.
There will no backing up the motorhome with the car behind so there's never really a need to see to the rear of the car.

Whether a particular State has a law requiring supplemental braking or not, don't let the personal injury lawyers find out there wasn't one in place!
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:00 PM   #7

Did not connect to onboard wiring and camera. Did not want to interfere with possible warranty claim by dealer should something go wrong. I have a separate 7 inch color monitor with a cigarette plug on the end. Did install separate 12V switch to be able to turn on and off at will. I keep the camera on all the time when on the highway and find myself looking at the monitor probably more than the side mirrors since I am able to see the entire field behind me on both sides. Its a great help because it lets me know exactly what is behind and whether or not I can change lanes safely. For me personally when you are going around the traffic interchanges in crowed cities such as Chicago, NYC or others with an RV on the interstates such as I-80 in and around Chicago the camera is worth it weight in gold. The wide view allows you to see traffic merging onto the highway that you simply cannot see with your side view mirrors unless readjusted to do so. In the middle of traffic who has time to readjust mirrors, not me. I've a camera on the previous 5th wheel so I have been doing so for about 10-12yrs. Now I ask myself how my wife and I made it thru so many congested locations without one..
xmtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote