Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2016, 09:13 PM   #1

RedHawk DVD/Blueray

Has anyone found a good place to add a DVD/Blue Ray/sound system to the RedHawk?

We traded in our Jay Flight for a RedHawk and are in the process of getting it ready for our first trip in it. I was thinking about adding our of the all in one sound system/blue ray setups but haven't come up with a great place to put it yet.
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 04:20 PM   #2

Our Furrion TV died on our first trip, so we replaced it with a Samsung Smart TV (less than 200.00 at WalMart), and that took care of the Furrion sound issue.

Then we added a Samsung Blue-Ray/DVD player (69.00 from WalMart on-line). It went in the shelf over the TV (had to drill a hole in the shelf bottom for the wires).

All is good now.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:37 PM   #3

I grabbed a Phillips Blu-ray on Clearance from Walmart for $50. Works great. HDMI cables from eBay or Monoprice.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:44 PM   #4

Yes. I have a Redhawk as well and we have a ps4 on shelf. We drilled a hole in bottom of shelf

Maestro402
------------
"Life is better in my RV"
Maestro402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:59 AM   #5

I had bought a Sony Blu-ray but couldn't mount it anywhere without the disc hitting the TV when the tray is opened etc. I just bought a Toshiba with a slot that can be mounted upright and a hideit mount that just arrived. The hideit mount is good because it holds the player securely too. Today we are putting it in, fingers crossed this one came to $230.00. Which technically is crazy but it is always what happens when you want what you want. Next what to do about sound. The ceiling speakers I think sound great with a cd but I don't think they can be used for the tv or dvd in our Redhawk 26x1 can they?
Stardate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardate View Post
I had bought a Sony Blu-ray but couldn't mount it anywhere without the disc hitting the TV when the tray is opened etc. I just bought a Toshiba with a slot that can be mounted upright and a hideit mount that just arrived. The hideit mount is good because it holds the player securely too. Today we are putting it in, fingers crossed this one came to $230.00. Which technically is crazy but it is always what happens when you want what you want. Next what to do about sound. The ceiling speakers I think sound great with a cd but I don't think they can be used for the tv or dvd in our Redhawk 26x1 can they?
If the install goes well... Please post picts and a link to the mount. I might be interested in doing that. For now I just put the player on the bed and plugged it in. When we use it I put something under it.

The ceiling speakers are only connected to the Ford radio. Depending on how much sound you're looking for... Many suggest replacing the tv with something decent which would yield better sound. I've also seen a small sound bar that can be mounted to the tv mount which might work as well.
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk98 View Post
If the install goes well... Please post picts and a link to the mount. I might be interested in doing that. For now I just put the player on the bed and plugged it in. When we use it I put something under it.

The ceiling speakers are only connected to the Ford radio. Depending on how much sound you're looking for... Many suggest replacing the tv with something decent which would yield better sound. I've also seen a small sound bar that can be mounted to the tv mount which might work as well.
For sound what we did was take a meagboom sound tube (sound bar for all intensive purposes) and mounted it to bottom of tv so it swings with tv and then used a rca to 2.5mm stereo adapter to go from tv audio (left right) to the headphones port on megaboom.

https://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Stereo-...ne+audio+cable

Is it the best we could do ... No but we had it here at house and wasn't using. If you get a soundbar anywere you could do same.
Maestro402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk98 View Post

Our is a Chevy Chassis but assume the the same radio & speakers. We only opted for the Chevy because there was more room up front to sit down. I will post a picture
Old 10-14-2016, 12:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro402 View Post
For sound what we did was take a meagboom sound tube (sound bar for all intensive purposes) and mounted it to bottom of tv so it swings with tv and then used a rca to 2.5mm stereo adapter to go from tv audio (left right) to the headphones port on megaboom.

https://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Stereo-...ne+audio+cable

Is it the best we could do ... No but we had it here at house and wasn't using. If you get a soundbar anywere you could do same.
Probably will end up with a small soundbar. I am more particular with music sound and this bit about TV's too small to handle descent sound is ridiculous. They just don't want to give us good sound and video at the same time too easy because of copyright's etc. But I do want to be able to hear TV. We put an Lg 32" Smart TV in the bedroom because there wasn't one, so I thought I could use a bigger bedroom TV at home. So we put my bedroom Lg in the rv and I got a new 40" for the bedroom. Now I can actually see the guide from bed. But it is probably overkill in the rv's tiny bedroom. But LG has the best sound I think. We should swap the Furrion for LG but I didn't want to mess with that TV as it swings out when you press a button. Would adding a speaker bar to swing out with the TV bother the weight and workings of it? Has anyone done that?
Old 10-15-2016, 02:31 PM   #10

Toshiba Blu-Ray Install

We put it in and everything works, you could put it further behind the TV if you want but I wanted to be able to reach it.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00677.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	27407

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00678.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	27408

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00679.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	27409
Old 10-16-2016, 07:55 PM   #11

The sound was no longer an issue once we got rid of the Furrion. The sound is so good in the Samsung smart TV, that we didn't need a sound bar. Also the Samsung gives us full wireless internet access.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:16 PM   #12

I was surprised at the picture on the Furrion, and the ota antenna gets a lot of channels. They must have improved those digital antennas. Sounds a little tinny but loud enough. Last time I got a new TV I tried 4 before I found one that I was satisfied with the sound. The Blu Ray has wifi etc, so we are good to go. Today, we put a swing arm wall lamp up between the dinette & sofa. It is so much better. There are tons of lights but I don't like overhead lighting. Now, it is warmer, like home. I've been hording light bulbs because I don't like the new bulbs.
The wall mount is good because I don't have to store a table lamp and worry about a bulb breaking.