Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-25-2017, 08:29 AM   #1

Redhawk/greyhawk help with decision

Love the price point of the redhawk, but the rubber roof vs the fiberglass is tough to get over. Please help me decide. Ty
vedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:35 AM   #2

A properly maintained rubber roof will last a very long time. Especially if you keep it covered in storage. The rubber is more resilient to hail storms though. We liked the value of the Redhawk as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 09:30 AM   #3

Rv would be stored outside.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:52 PM   #4

Just bought a 2017 Red Hawk and it has the TPO roof. Had the tpo on previous MH and had no problems in the 11 years I owned it.
Lillys Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 10:52 PM   #5

When I had my 96 Eagle, the first thing I did was put it under a carport. It had the epdm roof. Right off the bat I washed it, primed it with Kool Coat primer, and then put two coats of Kool Coat on it. I never had a roof leak in 20 years and the coating also stopped the black streaking. It was a belt and suspenders approach, but I would do the same thing with the TPO but that's just me.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:08 PM   #6

When I look at the Redhawk 31xl, I don't see any difference in the floorplan of my 2017 Greyhawk 31FS. Other than the fiberglass roof, can anyone list what the real differences are? The chassis has to be essentially the same I think. Is there a floor or wall structural difference?
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by t18skyguy View Post
When I look at the Redhawk 31xl, I don't see any difference in the floorplan of my 2017 Greyhawk 31FS. Other than the fiberglass roof, can anyone list what the real differences are? The chassis has to be essentially the same I think. Is there a floor or wall structural difference?
AFAIK - no one's gotten an official word from Jayco but the consensus is: no significant differences. A Greyhawk just has some extra do-dads and trim.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:11 AM   #8

Reason we went with the Greyhawk 31FK over the Redhawk 29XK (2016, not sure the differences since then):
1) Automatic Levelers - this has been a game changer over our last motorhome. Love the ease of use and the stability (don't miss the "being on a boat" feeling of not having stabilizers when someone moves around (even when we used to put jack stands under the rear bumper, you could still feel movement).
2) LED lights - we dry camp 95% of the time so we like the low power draw.
3) Fiberglass roof - while a well taken care of TPO roof will last a long time, I feel the fiberglass is stronger and will last longer (fingers crossed for no hail though!).
4) Insulated Roof Liner - the Greyhawk a have a thick vinyl interior roof liner that helps keep down some of the noise from above.
5) More interior cabinet storage space
6) Some other small subtle things (no windows in the above cab bunk, nicely styled fiberglass running boards, better interior color/flooring scheme, etc)

Wish we could have not had the navi as standard on the Greyhawk since we don't use it, but other than that, we love our Greyhawk. You can't go wrong with ether, just mostly personal preference. My main suggestion, research the crap out of all your choices before you buy. We spent a lot of time researching online then looking in person at the dealers. Don't expect your salesman to know everything about your choices. The internet and this forum taught me way more than any salesman we ever encountered.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:12 PM   #9

Really good points.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:14 PM   #10

I also believe that the Greyhawk has some additional suspension and ride enhancements helper springs etc....we would have add some of the features to the RedHawk anyway and so went with the Greyhawk.

Gayle
Baldfacemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:40 PM   #11

as previously mentioned prev rv had for 11yrs, had tpo roof. paperwork that came with rv on roof said to us Murphys oil soap to clean and once a year I would scrub it and never sealed it or put anything on it and had no leaks. Did redo any seams as needed.
Lillys Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:47 PM   #12

Starting to edge toward the greyhawk. 10k difference is slowing the process.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:02 PM   #13

I've got a Greyhawk, but only because it drove by with an irresistible price tag. I was leaning to the Redhawk. The old coach didn't have all of the extras our Greyhawk has - and we did fine.

Tons of Redhawk owners out there who are quite happy.

Do I like the extras? Yeah.
Would I have paid the retail difference? Probably not.

Whatever you pick, you'll enjoy it!
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:40 AM   #14

Hey, If money isn't important, get a Greyhawk.

We made our decision based on the Greyhawk being an extra $12,000.00, and had a bunch of stuff that we neither needed or wanted.

We added slide topper, roof vent cover's and thermostatically controlled vent fans to the Redhawk, and that's all the extras that we needed.

We're very happy at the lower cost, and lower weight of the Redhawk.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Logans View Post
Hey, If money isn't important, get a Greyhawk.

We made our decision based on the Greyhawk being an extra $12,000.00, and had a bunch of stuff that we neither needed or wanted.

We added slide topper, roof vent cover's and thermostatically controlled vent fans to the Redhawk, and that's all the extras that we needed.

We're very happy at the lower cost, and lower weight of the Redhawk.
^^^^^^^^^^^^
x2

This was our first motorhome after owning travel trailers and we didn't want to spend too much on the first go around.
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:36 PM   #16

Our 2016 Redhawk has a one piece seamless fiberglass roof. Not hard like solid plastic, but walkable and one solid sheet. You can verify this by looking at the corner joints. Definitely no TPO as I have had that and know the difference.
Thanks!
Old 06-28-2017, 12:31 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceChaser0 View Post
Reason we went with the Greyhawk 31FK over the Redhawk 29XK (2016, not sure the differences since then):
1) Automatic Levelers - this has been a game changer over our last motorhome. Love the ease of use and the stability (don't miss the "being on a boat" feeling of not having stabilizers when someone moves around (even when we used to put jack stands under the rear bumper, you could still feel movement).
2) LED lights - we dry camp 95% of the time so we like the low power draw.
3) Fiberglass roof - while a well taken care of TPO roof will last a long time, I feel the fiberglass is stronger and will last longer (fingers crossed for no hail though!).
4) Insulated Roof Liner - the Greyhawk a have a thick vinyl interior roof liner that helps keep down some of the noise from above.
5) More interior cabinet storage space
6) Some other small subtle things (no windows in the above cab bunk, nicely styled fiberglass running boards, better interior color/flooring scheme, etc)

Wish we could have not had the navi as standard on the Greyhawk since we don't use it, but other than that, we love our Greyhawk. You can't go wrong with ether, just mostly personal preference. My main suggestion, research the crap out of all your choices before you buy. We spent a lot of time researching online then looking in person at the dealers. Don't expect your salesman to know everything about your choices. The internet and this forum taught me way more than any salesman we ever encountered.
Also no ladder for the bunk
no outside speakers
no solid wood raised panel cabinetry
no rear or side cameras
no heated mirrors

1998 Coleman Seneca pop up
2014 Rockwood Roo 23ikss
2016 Jayco Greyhawk 31FK - YAY!
sewingcybermom is offline   Reply With Quote