Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-07-2016, 04:10 PM   #1

Redhawk Maiden Voyage Completed

Just returned from Fort Wilderness at Disney World with the new Redhawk 26X1. I don't know if I'm just lucky, or just don't know any better, but I have zero issues to complain about the new Jayco. I ended up encountering steady to strong rain for more than half of the 230 mile journey from South Florida to WDW. The MH handled well through the adverse weather, steering was straight, and just a bit of sway when passed by semi's.

It was pouring by the time we arrived at the campsite on the 200 loop. I was kinda rushing my setup a bit since it was miserable and after the unit was set, I realized I forgot to level it. Fortunately, the pad was pretty level, so it was "good enough for government work".

A couple of observations: Others have mentioned a whirring fan noise from under the bed, presumably from the inverter. I can confirm that the inverter was making a noise but it was pretty faint and really didn't disturb.

The other observation is regarding the gray tank. It seemed to have filled up rapidly despite (at least in my opinion) being rather frugal with showers. The gray tank registered as full at the end of the three days. How long could I expect to boondock or would the capacity be governed by the amount of water in the fresh tank?

All systems worked great. HW worked great and in short order on just electric. Fridge and A/C functioned perfectly.

Finally, the last pleasant surprise was great (well, it's all relative) fuel economy. On the way home, cruise control set at 63 mph, the coach delivered 10.9 mpg.

Fort Wilderness was great; the Redhawk was great. Maybe I lucked out and got a great quality control coach, or maybe that's how the majority of Jayco's are built. All in all, I'm a happy camper and looking forward to the next outing.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3532.jpg  
Old 05-07-2016, 07:53 PM   #2

Congratulations !

If you're all hooked up to the sewer connection, just leave the gray tank valve open. Then, on the last day before you leave, close the valve. Then there will be enough in the gray tank to flush out the dump hose after you dump the black tank.

We always leave the gray valve open when hooked up.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:37 PM   #3

Redhawk Maiden Voyage Completed

Glad to hear everything (but the rain) was positive.

As a test last year, I didn't drain the gray tank when it registered full. The shower is the lowest drain so when the shower stopped draining, I knew the tank was full.

Bottom line: We got another full day of normal use after the lights said the gray tank was full. (I have no plans to try that test with the black tank.)
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:59 AM   #4

Congrats, hope my first venture goes half as well.
Nighthawk65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:26 AM   #5

Glad you had a great trip to our favorite resort. As to the coach, I personally think you are in the majority as far as few problems.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:18 AM   #6

I agree w/ Grumpy. I too had minimal issues during my first camping season with my Greyhawk. Glad you had a good time ! We are planning on doing the drive from Jersey to the Fort this coming April.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:52 PM   #7

Same experience here with ours!
Old 05-09-2016, 05:33 PM   #8

Great to hear OP CCF had such a great maiden voyage! Congrats! It's also great to hear that most seem to have good initial experiences with their new Jayco coach or TT.
(2) Yamaha EF2000is Inverter Generators
House of Harview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:35 PM   #9

Awesome..glad to hear it..
Mudduck is offline   Reply With Quote