Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-10-2015, 01:36 AM   #1

Redhawk rental and leveling?

Okay, been reading some of the threads here and one got me all freaked out.

In April I'm renting a 2015 Redhawk 29XK for a month. Heck if I know where all I'll be staying - wherever I land for the night.

An earlier thread talked about leveling your rig and something about the frig. Will I not be able to use the frig if the rig isn't level? Will it not stay cold during the night? Will it shut off? I need the frig!

I do not know if the rental comes with any sort of leveling equipment. If so, will they be hard for an older woman on her own to use? Will I need to bring a level with me? I did see mention of "The Best RV Leveling Block" video that I'll look at later.

Any suggestions would be great. This will be my first time in an RV. I'm really looking forward to it, but I'm also kind of freaked that I won't know what the heck to do if something goes wrong. Like getting it level!

Also, I saw reference to "CW" in many posts. What the heck does that stand for?

Thanks!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:28 AM   #2

It's a lot easier than it sounds, basically, if you can fry an egg in your frying pan without fighting it, then you're level enough for the fridge.

Blocks under the tires from side to side, and front to back just to bring the RV to a comfortable level is how you should approach it, you can choose to bring a level along if you want, but don't get too worried.

Your first couple of times will be your trial and error phase, but you'll get the hang of it soon enough. The fridge is not as finicky as they used to be, like I say, if you can fry an egg or sleep without feeling like your head is in a hole or slipping off the bed to one side or the other, then you're doing pretty good.

As for leveling equipment specific to your rig, I'm not sure what your rig may be equipped with, I'm sure others will follow with more advice.

As for CW, it stands for Camping World. They're one of the bigger RV dealer and supplies outlet for all that you can think of spending any extra money you may have, they have several stores across the U.S. and they have an online store. You can also buy a membership which gives you a discount on products in store and online as well as discounts at the Good Sam participating campgrounds

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:33 AM   #3

We have rented a MH a couple of times. To be honest with you I do not recall the unit coming with any blocks or not. I also do not recall any leveling issues with the locations where we stayed. Personally I would call the place you are renting it from and ask if any leveling blocks are included, and a level. It is also good to ask if they have any general recommendations to bring. You can pick up a small 12” level for a few bucks at a local hardware store. When we went to Alaska, we made a list of a few things to buy once we got there, instead of hauling it in our luggage. We also planned on those items being disposable as we did not want to haul the stuff around after we were done with the MH stage of our trip.

As for how level the frig needs to be, I have heard 3 to 5 degrees is good enough. Maximum grade (slope) of a train grade is 4% which is a lot. So you should be just fine.

As for having issues while exploring the world. Ask fellow campers at the campgrounds. There will be lots of seasoned campers and most are willing to help.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:52 PM   #4

NW Cat Owner, first of all... DON't FREAK! It interferes with the fun! :-)

Almost without exception, commercial campground sites that are paved, are level enough that you won't have a problem. If there isn't a bubble level in the camper, the rental company will give you one, and it's used by placing it on the bottom of the freezer compartment, and leveling to that.

As others have said, modern RV fridges are not as finickey as tha older ones were. The new ones are happy with a quarter of the bubble in the ring. And, if the interior doors stay where you leave them, and the eggs stay in the center of the pan, etc., you're probably good to go!

If it was your unit, and not a rental, I would advise you to get the rig level to a bubble level in the freezer, than secure (double stick tape) a bubble level somewhere in the cab (making sure that is shows exactly level) where you can see it from the drivers seat. Once that is done, you'll know that the level in the cab indicates that the fridge is level, and you can move the rig around in the camp site until you can see by the bubble level in the cab that it's mostly level.

Works great!

Mostly, relax, be safe, and have a great time!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:14 PM   #5

i have a 2015 redhawk 29xk, i also had leveling jacks installed on mine, the fridge does not have to be that level, remember your driving it on the road and it is on, camco sells a nice leveler that flashes green and red lights, most good campgrounds are pretty level, take along a cheap pair of leveling pads so you can drive tires on them if needed, also join good sams club so you can get travel directions, good camp grounds, and many discounts, its worth the 25.00 and then some, the cameo leveler can be gotten on amazon
walkingeagle is offline   Reply With Quote