Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-07-2014, 06:07 AM   #1

Redhawk vs. Greyhawk

Aside from the interior amenities (trim, cushions, counters, etc.) is there anything STRUCTURALLY different between the two coach lines?
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:13 AM   #2

Not that I know of. The Redhawk is basically the same rig without all of the extra amenities that the Greyhawk has. Same ratings etc. We got a Greyhawk because we wanted the auto-leveling jacks, in motion satellite, navigation system, rear TV, J-Ride package, heat pump, rear view and side view cameras, and several other options that are not available on the Redhawk.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:46 PM   #3

I haven't picked up my X213 yet but I have a really solid offer on the 29MV - just trying to do my homework. Seems like you get a lot over the 26XS.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:36 PM   #4

Redhawk & Greyhawk are same basic outfit. Greyhawk has more/fancier amenities on it. For me personally, after having a owned a very expensive and very fancy class A, (1998 Brand New Airstream Land Yacht motorhome), and learned from it. I bought this brand new Redhawk 26xs, added a couple extras such as finishing out the suspension to match the J-Ride, and the safe-t plus steering control, the slide topper, and the manual scissor jack front stabilizer set for the front and rear a-frame jacks to go under tow hitch. I'm all set with this coach with all for under $58,000. For me this is perfect.
Stevefaync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:24 PM   #5

Biggest difference I saw was the ceiling and ducted vs. non-ducted A/C. I think this difference is also a difference in insulation at the ceiling. Being in Texas and using it a lot inthe summer, I think the redhawk may transfer a little more heat through the roof. We noticed a big difference in # of cabinets/storage. I actually liked the redhawks lack of carpet. Lighting was different.
Chasis looked the same, but as I understand not all redhawks have the JRide componants.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:41 PM   #6

As you can see in a sister post I went w/ the Redhawk 26XS. I added the bigfoot levelers (option on the 2015s) to help make it easy.

Per the standard equipment on the 2015 Redhawks, the insulation is R-15 roof, R-9 floor, R-5 walls. I don't know if its any different on the 2014s or earlier, but that's where its at for the 2015s.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:28 PM   #7

Redhawk vs. Greyhawk

My new 2014 Redhawk 26xs has ducted a/c in the ceiling and ducted heat around the baseboards.

Came with the hellwig helper springs, the rubber isolation blocks, half of the J-Ride components. I had the dealer install the rear sway control and the Bilstein shocks (sp?) so that it had the J-Ride components, and also a slide topper and a safe-t plus steering stabilizer. It has just about all that I want. I will be changing out the toilet to a high end unit. I guess I was spoiled in that department with our old class A Airstream (30' Land Yacht), it had an awesome toilet.

Personally, I am not an auto-leveler fan. I had them on my old unit. They would develop leaks, get stuck while deployed, which cost me for an RV mechanic to come to my camp site and fix them. They were HWH fully automatic levelers with a manual over ride option. Never again.

With my new unit, I am using 4 twist style A-frame jack stands on 4 orange plastic jack stand pads.it has been very easy to use so far, and fail safe. Get her level, then stabilize her. Quick and easy, though not as quick and easy as auto levelers. The big upside is, no more leaks, messes, anger and frustration when it does not work correctly. No more service calls by an expensive mechanic to fix them just so I can continue on my way.

I was going to have the dealer install a scissor jack system on the front but he did not have it in stock, so I went with 4 twist up jack stands instead.

Happy camping.

Steve
Stevefaync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:22 PM   #8

I swore ducted was not in the redhawk we looked at, but I must be mistaken, it is listed in the stats on the website, so I stand corrected. R-23 ceiing is also listed as common to both.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:07 PM   #9

I have a 2005 Greyhawk and from these posts maybe it is time for a update. The only reason not is all the toys I have attached. (solar, etc) Plus mine is paid for which is a great felling, But no jacks, satellite, side camera, etc. Oh well, I still enjoy mine..
2017Jayco Precept
towing a 2007 Honda CR-V
ChuckD37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:03 AM   #10

The side view cameras are basically worthless while driving. They would be worth more if they worked from the house side while parked and camping....
Old 04-19-2014, 07:24 PM   #11

REDHAWK vs. GREYHAWK

Mine is a 2013. One of the first Redhawks built. I liked the Greyhawk, but they charged me $59K for the Redhawk 31XL vs. $76K for the comparable Greyhawk. They installed the front bunk curtain for me from a Greyhawk and the same bedroom TV - both at no cost. So for a savings of $17K, the Redhawk was the winner! (Although I would love those flat spotlights on the ceiling!)
Old 10-20-2016, 12:05 PM   #12

2017 Redhawk vs Greyhawk

I googled the difference between 2017 the Redhawk and Greyhawk but found all kinds of things but nothing consistent.

So I went to the 2017 Jayco website and made the attached list showing a side by side comparison. Now I have a better sense of the differences and am posting it for others to use. I think it is pretty accurate.

Cant seem to upload the excel spreadsheet so post but I can email it on request.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:12 PM   #13

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing what you found.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 04:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
I googled the difference between 2017 the Redhawk and Greyhawk but found all kinds of things but nothing consistent.

As a Greyhawk owner and someone who just looked at Redhawks, I didn't see anything on the Greyhawk that wasn't some sort of 'bolt on addition'.

I'll bet you dimes to donuts that, up to some point in the manufacturing line, they're the same. Then Greyhawks make a left turn and workers bolt on the leveling jacks, the Hellwig Helper springs. Glue on the tank heaters. Plunk in the radio, wire up the silly cameras, etc.

That's my guess - that underneath they're pretty much the same animal.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:07 PM   #15

Where to start...?

Well, we looked at both, drove both, and researched the heck out of both.

What we came up with was,

They are, at the core, essentially the same unit, then the Grayhawk gets "messed" with.

The price goes up more than $20,000.00, and a bunch of stuff that we neither need or want gets added on.

We didn't want the levelers, the ceiling lights where you can't change out the bulbs, the in-dash navigation system, the all but worthless side view cameras and thank-less water heater, etc. The Redhawk also has about 400 pounds more payload capacity, due to the lack of levelers.

All we added to get just what we wanted was 2 slide toppers, and 2 thermostatically controlled roof hatch fans.

I just wish that Jayco allowed the buyers to customize the "Hawks" any way that we wanted. There is too much "one size fits all".
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote