Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-21-2016, 09:26 AM   #1

RedHawk vs Greyhawk

There seem to be similar configurations but the Greyhawk appears to be $20k+ more.
Can someone elaborate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Larry Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:34 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mac View Post
There seem to be similar configurations but the Greyhawk appears to be $20k+ more.
Can someone elaborate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ford vs. Lincoln
Toyota vs. Lexus
Honda vs. Acura

You get more luxury in a Greyhawk. Solid counters, hydraulic levelers, different cabinets, etc. All a matter of what you want and how much you want to spend.

Greyhawks are often heavier units because of the extra glitz; this will impact some folks depending on how they 'camp' as there will consequently be less available cargo capacity. Some models are more drastically affected than others.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:39 AM   #3

RedHawk vs Greyhawk

Welcome to the JOF, Larry Mac, and happy camper shopping.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:02 AM   #4

RedHawk vs Greyhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Ford vs. Lincoln

Toyota vs. Lexus

Honda vs. Acura

You get more luxury in a Greyhawk. Solid counters, hydraulic levelers, different cabinets, etc. All a matter of what you want and how much you want to spend.

Greyhawks are often heavier units because of the extra glitz; this will impact some folks depending on how they 'camp' as there will consequently be less available cargo capacity. Some models are more drastically affected than others.

Understood and thanks for your response.
So will the Greyhawk have less towing capacity because of that greater weight?

Also can someone answer this?
The J ride plus addition that is on the Greyhawk-- can that be added to the RedHawk or is that a factory only option.

I guess what I'm saying is $20k+ is a lot, but wonder if it makes sense to have a few items like the Jride plus added to the RedHawk.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mac View Post
Understood and thanks for your response.
So will the Greyhawk have less towing capacity because of that greater weight?

Also can someone answer this?
The J ride plus addition that is on the Greyhawk-- can that be added to the RedHawk or is that a factory only option.

I guess what I'm saying is $20k+ is a lot, but wonder if it makes sense to have a few items like the Jride plus added to the RedHawk.
Most of the times on JRide + can be added after market. Not sure how much it would cost + labor though. Hellwig sway bar and Bilstein shocks basically between the RedHawk and Greyhawk.

Don't forget the value of the hydraulic levelers and the heat pump/AC combo.

Short answer to the tow question: Yes.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 01:42 PM   #6

We went with the Redhawk for several reasons:

* The Redhawk came in the size that we wanted.
* The Greyhawk had a a bunch of stuff that we didn't want, such as the levelers, in-dash navigation systems, ceiling lights that you can't change out the bulbs, side view cameras, etc.
* With the Greyhawk, we would have had to pay to have the gas water changed out for a conventional gas/electric unit.
* The Greyhawk weighed much more, and cost much more.

All in all, we saved about $ 23,000.00, and picked up almost 800 pounds of extra carrying capacity, by getting the Redhawk.

In the end, it's what best suits your needs, and budget.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 02:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Logans View Post
We went with the Redhawk for several reasons:

* The Redhawk came in the size that we wanted.
* The Greyhawk had a a bunch of stuff that we didn't want, such as the levelers, in-dash navigation systems, ceiling lights that you can't change out the bulbs, side view cameras, etc.
* With the Greyhawk, we would have had to pay to have the gas water changed out for a conventional gas/electric unit.
* The Greyhawk weighed much more, and cost much more.

All in all, we saved about $ 23,000.00, and picked up almost 800 pounds of extra carrying capacity, by getting the Redhawk.

In the end, it's what best suits your needs, and budget.

Thank you
Old 07-29-2016, 07:42 AM   #8

Logans...we agree! We saved a ton! The only thing I envy is the levelers, but for $20,000 plus we are just fine leveling ourselves. Most places are fairly level in our class C and it takes precious little time out of our setup to level ourselves. I thought the upgraded cabinetry and flooring would be nice but I honestly don't think twice about it. We bought the RV Garmin navigator and we are as happy as can be in our first ever season of camping.
CDandCJandthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:17 AM   #9

We went with a used Grayhawk (pre levelers). Happy with the choice so far.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:49 AM   #10

Having owned another Class C that was shorter and more like the Redhawk regarding the lack of features, we knew we wanted more of the items on the GreyHawk. Key amongst them was the levelers, because the wind and folks moving around the rig would make the whole thing move as the suspension adapted to the change in weight. While trying to cook, eat, or sleep this is a bit of a challenge that we didn't care for.

The tankless water heater is something that all will struggle with, as its operation is like nothing else that we have used or would use if given a choice. The Girard unit is not really meant for boondocking and dry camping as it require a constant flow of water or you will find yourself getting scalded. Also it is very sensitive to incoming water pressure. If it falls below a certain level, you will need to switch to your internal system to get the right pressure. My water filter failed and reduced the flow to a stupid level and my wife had issues with her shower until I switched to internal sources.

I have not had my GH weighed, but I did drag a family of 6 on a journey to Alaska and didn't have many issues regarding weight. I now tow a car on a dolly and still haven't had any issues with weight, other than the hills in Kentucky/TN that caused me to slow down a lot. Mostly because I want to keep my transmission temps below 200 as much as possible to avoid any damage. I run a scangage to see that as the E450 does not have a gage for that.

The indash GPS, well I have never seen one that works better than a stand alone unit like my RV760. Although I will say that the audible speed warning is somewhat handy at times.
2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (our TOAD on a DEMCO Dolly)
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
CarlB is offline   Reply With Quote