Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2015, 12:48 PM   #1

Lightbulb Redhawk Water Fill

Recently had occasion to try and ad water via the Country Fill option, when no "City Water" connection was available. Followed the instructions to a tee, but pump would not draw water from a container. Went to the dealer today for a "learning session" and they couldn't get the "Country Fill" option working either, even after calling Jayco's tech support for guidance.

Now the fun part...one of the "senior/experienced" owners came by and pulled the cone shaped screen & washer out of the fill connection, turned it around and put it back in "backwards" so it pressed on the relief valve, and voila, all was good! We think this "trick" should be in the owner's manual somewhere, but none of us, including the Jayco techie could find it, and it wasn't mentioned by anyone we contacted.

Minor issue, but might be something Jayco could make clear in their instructions. Our dealer will be adding it to their demonstrations in future sales. One never knows when the need for a little detail like that will come in handy!
Old 07-08-2015, 01:05 PM   #2

A) Never heard it called "Country Fill". Usually "Gravity Fill". Or simply potable water tank fill port.
B) Who put a relief valve in there?

Both my old trailer (1983) and brand new have unobstructed 1" line from the fill port into the fresh water tank. The old trailer's fill port included a protected 1/4" vent that often needed burping.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
A) Never heard it called "Country Fill". Usually "Gravity Fill". Or simply potable water tank fill port.
B) Who put a relief valve in there?
Since it was purchased "new" a couple of months ago, have to assume Jayco installed the valve during assembly, along with the label on the rear compartment wall that lists one of the 6 water system valve settings as "Country Fill"!
Old 07-08-2015, 02:23 PM   #4

My Bad.

I'm too used to staying in the cheep seats. Keeping everything as simple as possible. Only the outside valves on the 19RD are labeled. And the indoor ones are obvious because of the pipe they are on.

You are right that the rep who does the PDI's should know of such things.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 03:44 PM   #5

We learned quickly that to fill from a bottle or bucket (water, antifreeze, or Clorox), we had to put the tube / hose in the filled bucket, turn on the pump, and lift the bucket up to, or a little above the level of the pump. With it at that level, it immediately primed, and started pumping. We then set the bucket on a step stool to keep it somewhat elevated.

It works fine once the pump is primed.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Logans View Post
We learned quickly that to fill from a bottle or bucket (water, antifreeze, or Clorox), we had to put the tube / hose in the filled bucket, turn on the pump, and lift the bucket up to, or a little above the level of the pump. With it at that level, it immediately primed, and started pumping. We then set the bucket on a step stool to keep it somewhat elevated.

It works fine once the pump is primed.
We tried that too, without success. The key fix was "to pull the cone shaped screen & washer out of the fill connection, turned it around and put it back in "backwards" so it "the cone" pressed on the relief valve button" allowing the pump action to suck water into the tank...no priming required.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:35 AM   #7

That relief valve button prevents water from shooting out the inlet hose fitting when you use your fresh water tank and water pump. Next time your water pump has pressurized the plumbing system, hold the button in and see how much water comes out. Make sure you put the washer with the cone screen back to its original position.
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:24 PM   #8

I have not experienced this problem on my 2012 31FS. I have sucked water from gallon juggs without issue. As soon as I set the switch to the country fill, the pump automatically comes on and starts sucking.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:25 AM   #9

When we winterized our 29xk last fall we also had to turn the screen also to get it to suck antifreeze out of the bottle,dealer told me they have had to do this with the redhawks!
Old 07-15-2015, 10:42 AM   #10

I'm gonna try to lift the bucket because we had very inconsistent pump pressure when doing our initial fresh tank sanitation. I bet this will work! It pulled water, but it was intermittent in nature so I bet if we give it some gravity help it will work like a charm. Once again, love this forum!
YouTube - PaleoHikerMD
DocHarvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 01:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtriple777 View Post
When we winterized our 29xk last fall we also had to turn the screen also to get it to suck antifreeze out of the bottle,dealer told me they have had to do this with the redhawks!
So...we aren't the only ones. My reason for posting originally was to let everyone know the procedure and hopefully alert Jayco, if anyone from there is monitoring this forum, that they don't include this info in the little manual they provide, and it seems dealers aren't fully aware either.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:18 PM   #12
Wyn

I had to turn the screen backwards on my Greyhawk to winterize it, this seems to be a common problem with all the Jayco Class C's. Once I winterized, I turned the screen around again so the valve would work correctly when on city water.
Wyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 06:41 PM   #13

I had the same issue when I tried the one time when I was running low on fresh water. It started to draw water in but then stopped. Just thought being a newbie, I didn't listen when that part was shown to me. I will check mine out next trip and update.
Marshmellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:58 PM   #14

I'm a little confused. If I can not get my water to run with city fill because my check valves are bad according to technician today, can I fill the tank with the method yall are talking about? thanks
Charlene20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:35 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyn View Post
I had to turn the screen backwards on my Greyhawk to winterize it, this seems to be a common problem with all the Jayco Class C's. Once I winterized, I turned the screen around again so the valve would work correctly when on city water.
Not all have this problem. When I winterized last year and for multiple country fills, I have always been able to get the pump primed without turning the filter around. Darn, hope I haven't jinxed it.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 05:11 PM   #16

We had no problem with the winterizing... of course the PDI tech told us that the container with the anti-freeze had to be no more than a foot or so below the fresh water intake, and when starting it going hold the jug just above the level of the intake (to start it siphoning) Once it was going, just sat the gallon jug on top of a little stool, and away it went.

Seems like it just needs a little help starting.

And yes, country fill works the same way. Use the same short hose, and put into a 5 gallon container of fresh water (with the valve in the country fill position), and turn on the pump.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:46 PM   #17

Well I tried it all. Nothing has worked at all for me in the Redhawk. No water, no way. Taking it in next week. Pretty frustrating but we had fun on our New Year's trip in spite of it . thank goodness the campground was nice!
Charlene20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlene20 View Post
Well I tried it all. Nothing has worked at all for me in the Redhawk. No water, no way. Taking it in next week. Pretty frustrating but we had fun on our New Year's trip in spite of it . thank goodness the campground was nice!
Check value went bad on my redhawk. Instead of spending $60 on another cheap value prone to failure I spent $10 at home depot. Working perfect and took about 15 min to fix!
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1452135206158.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	21406
Wildhorses24 is offline   Reply With Quote