Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-01-2014, 03:27 PM   #1

Refrigerator/Propane problems

I have a 2011 Greyhawk 31FK. I have my fridge on LP (the propane is on), but doesn't seem to be cooling off. In reading the Norcold Owner's Manual, it says something about the "Gas Flame Appearance". Our orientation guy never mentioned anything about this, but where is the flame at?

Also when plugged into shore power, with the fridge on Auto, it doesn't seem to be cooling also. Went on a long trip last summer with no problems. Can't figure it out? Any suggestions.
Colette W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 03:33 PM   #2

There is a grill on the outside of the camper directly behind where the fridge is inside. The grill is removable. The burner tube (with flame) is located in there along with some wiring, circuit board, condensation drain tube, etc.
The fridge needs proper circulation and venting. If this just happened this season after storage then perhaps a critter of some sort has built a nest and is restricting the venting an/or circulation.
I know on my 1972 that I restored, I had to clean the circuit board AND clear the vent.
Others may have some better ideas to what is happening.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:40 PM   #3

I believe there also is a sensor to tell if LP is flowing, and if it tries to light three times and fails, it quits trying. On mine (2004 Greyhawk), the timeout gives a cryptic error message, which goes away. Left me really confused when I first turned on the fridge after the camper had been stored a while. The solution was to set back to "Off" for about five minutes, then try again until the gas was flowing well, then it worked fine. This happens when the gas flow is interrupted, like when you turn it off to refill the tank. Not sure if this is your problem, but it might help.
Wulfgar878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:28 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum!
First off, you need to ensure the flame is burning. You can tell by several indicators. First, the indicator light on the fridge control panel would be on solid, not flashing. Second, you can stand out by the ventilation grille and hear the pilot burning...it's very quiet but you can hear it. Third, if you take the grille off, the vent chimney will be hot.

Is this your first encounter with a gas/electric fridge? They don't cool instantly like the one in your house. They take several hours of running before the refrigerator compartment feels cool. The freezer will get cold first then the trickle down effect follows to the refrigerator compartment.

Make sure your coach is level when running the fridge. It is especially important while running on propane to be level. Do a search and you'll find several recent threads on gas fridge operation. To check the gas flame appearance you need to remove a sheet metal shroud on the backside of the fridge behind the grille at the bottom of the chimney area. I'd try using a small inspection mirror first. You should see a nice blue pilot-sized flame not much bigger than a large candle flame.

Purge the air from your propane lines prior to attempting to light the fridge by lighting a burner on your cooktop and running the furnace for a minute or two. The gas bleeds out of the line when your coach is sitting unused for any length of time.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:34 AM   #5

Hi
The problem we had with ours is the Fridge is in the slide, and the propane line was being pinched in the slide.(2010 Jayco Eagle 25.6)
Took it in and they relined The hose and now the fridge works fine.
The fridge does take a bit of time to cool down. I set mine on the highest then turn it down.
annie oakly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 01:25 PM   #6

Fridge not getting cold on propane.

I have a 2007 Jayco Jay series pop up trailer. In the past, the propane worked so well, I would freeze stuff and had to turn it lower. Now it works fine on AC, but with the propane, the pilot works, then I turn it to cold and I see the flame from the tube going up about an inch and a half (see photo). I thought it was supposed to flame up with more of a roar and I could feel a lot of heat coming from the top vent. The fridge gets cool, but not cold like before. I also tried to clean, but there are no clogs in the flame slots. Can somebody tell me if I am missing something? Thanks
Jeff the Jet is offline   Reply With Quote