Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-22-2015, 02:11 PM   #1
WDW

Replace Clarion Radio

Well the day has finally arrived after our epic winter and we were able yo pull our 2015 Greyhawk out of storsge and bring her home! I've spent the day tinkering and I've come to the same conclusions I had last fall when we took delivery --- the Clarion radio/ entertainment system is (insert adjatives here) is a piece of junk and needs to be replaced. Who among you has already ventured down this path? Are you just living with it? My 1960s transistor radio worked better. It says Sirius ready, HD ready but getting the parts and install after what we paid should not be necessary. The operation and touch controls are not well planned for its insralled use.

I NEED TO REPLACE IT! Suggestions?

Formerly 31FK 15 Grayhawk
Toad: 2015 Jeep Cherokee "The Caboose".

Taking in the sights wherever my Trolley takes me!
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:34 PM   #2

You are right, it is a POS. I will be following this thread to see what replies you get.

If I had anything better to do I would be doing it :)
snowbird47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:26 PM   #3

I was too disappointed with the Clarion in the beginning but have learned it's quirks and left it in. True the Sat Radio does not work without jumping through some hoops but it would be cheaper to buy a separate Sat Radio, there are a few car ones and feed it into the Aux in on the Clarion rather than replace the whole unit.

Is Sat radio the only issue or are their others?

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Flat towing a 2008 Miata.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:37 PM   #4

We are picking up our Greyhawk 31FK from the dealer tomorrow. It was in to have some Gel Coat cracks repaired along with some other minor warranty issues. I have requested another walk-through specifically for the audio-visual system. I have been very frustrated with the system and hope they can shed some light on the functions and features. I will post what I find out.
CMMR10stman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:55 AM   #5

Unfortunately, not much to report. The dealer replaced our Clarion radio...with the same model Clarion radio. We hadn't asked for that to be done. I just wanted to know how the radio, cable/satellite connection and our three TV's all work together.

I spent 1 1/2 hrs. with the Tech trying to get everything figured out. We did get DVD to play through front and back TV's, but connection seems to be bad to the outside TV. Also able to get sound through house speakers.

The next question is...will everything work, now that we have it home?
Old 03-25-2015, 04:26 AM   #6
WDW

It sounds like you have a lemon. I'm Surprised at the lack of responses to my post. I would have guessed more were unhappy. Maybe they are, but that is why manufactures are not truly consumer focused in their RV products. Instead they sell cosmetics and put lipstick on a pig. LOL!

Old 03-25-2015, 05:06 AM   #7

We have a radio, but have never turned it on.... I like the "outdoor" music of the wildlife at the campsite over the radio.

Guess I'm an oddball.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:00 AM   #8

I replaced my "factory" radio with a Pioneer unit. It has performed flawlessly - the handsfree call function works seamlessly with my iPhone as does the Bluetooth link for music.
GeraldNKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:24 AM   #9

I have a Jensen unit with the Nav. I'll be checking it out for the first time this weekend. Sorry can't help with the Clarion.
2014 Jayco Jay Feather X23B-"Glampy"(Sold)
DW, DS, DDx2, and Bandit & Fletcher
Bikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:42 AM   #10
WDW

Did your Jensen come with the rig? What model is it?

Old 03-25-2015, 10:51 AM   #11

Jensen model JRV215N. Again, I haven't even used it once, but yes, it came with the rig. My wife and I are going away for the weekend to try out everything on our new MH, and our 3 hour trip to the campground will include a complete testing out of the audio/Nav/Sirius/etc. system.
2014 Jayco Jay Feather X23B-"Glampy"(Sold)
DW, DS, DDx2, and Bandit & Fletcher
Bikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:18 PM   #12

LOL... One of the first things that we did was to go to Best Buy and have them replace the stock unit with a Pioneer.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:24 PM   #13

I have the Clarion, and it is the worst unit I have ever used. The radio function is 1960's, and the iPod function has never worked. Bluetooth is ok.

What a crock too, that Ford or Jayco would equip a coach with a satellite ready unit such as the Clarion, without it actually being satellite "ready". I have to pay for the unit to be removed/replaced, and a Sirius module installed. I know it's not hard to pull the unit and do the install myself, but should I have to?

My local audio guy recommends an Alpine nav unit for replacement, which I have not yet gone in to see. Going to have to do it soon as the season is upon us northerners!!

2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS
Shakedown St. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:48 PM   #14

What model # is the Pioneer system. I would be interested in researching that system as a possible replacement.

A little disappointed with the quality of the audio-visual components, but really love our 31FK and really anxious to get this camping season rolling.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
We have a radio, but have never turned it on.... I like the "outdoor" music of the wildlife at the campsite over the radio.

Guess I'm an oddball.
Not an oddball. Just don't use our radio either. Am a sat tv guy and installed a separate blueray for DVD's. Programmed the radio a couple times when we set up for a long stay, pretty much just to get the weather. For us the radio is just not a big issue other than the annoying blue light. Solved that by installing a toggle so I can power it off. On our recent 7 week winter trip, we never powered it on.

What do people use the radio for that would justify swapping it for a better one??
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Not an oddball. Just don't use our radio either. Am a sat tv guy and installed a separate blueray for DVD's. Programmed the radio a couple times when we set up for a long stay, pretty much just to get the weather. For us the radio is just not a big issue other than the annoying blue light. Solved that by installing a toggle so I can power it off. On our recent 7 week winter trip, we never powered it on.

What do people use the radio for that would justify swapping it for a better one??
Not so much the radio, as in AM/FM. I enjoy a few Sirius stations, but mainly for the Bluetooth capability to stream Pandora, or my own music while traveling. We have a 3 and 1 year old, so some of our travel is overnight to cover long distance while they are sleeping. I love my radio during those times!!!

Now depending where I am camping, it is seldom used as I love the sound of the woods!

2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS
Shakedown St. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:17 PM   #17

I listen to my radio a lot. The Public radio station has news in the morning and late afternoon, and jazz or blues the rest of the time. I wanted to replace the crappy Jensen unit at first, but resigned myself to live with the poor audio quality, at least for now.

Someday I might upgrade to a nicer automotive stereo, but for now I'd rather keep my money.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:03 AM   #18

The Pioneer unit I installed replaced the Jayco installed Magnadyne unit. I didn't want the complexity and cost of a GPS unit as we use our iPhones for GPS but I did want a reliable unit with Bluetooth music streaming and hands free calling. For under $120 I found the Pioneer FHX-720BT and have been very happy. They also make double DIN units with GPS and touch screens that I'm sure would have the typical Pioneer quality and ease of use.
GeraldNKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:51 AM   #19

This is a nice Alpine unit.

Alpine INE-W940 6.1" Bluetooth USB MP3 Multimedia DVD/GPS Receiver

http://amzn.com/B00ETKVCM2
Toads: 2014 Ford Explorer or 1999 Jeep Wrangler
Shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:31 PM   #20

I agree with you, the Clarion system is a piece of junk. I did inquire with a radio shop about having a Pioneer or other one put in. It seems like that was a little spendy, and options were limited if you wanted the Navi screen to show the side and rear cameras. I'm not a big listener of radio and such, so to make a long story short, I just got used to the Clarion's shortcomings and it got a little better after I got used to how user unfriendly it is.
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote