Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-28-2011, 09:17 AM   #1

Replacing sofa with recliners

I have a 2010 Greyhawk GS31. It has a J-sofa that I would like to remove and replace with 2 small wall-saver recliners. When I looked under the sofa, I discovered that there is a wooden box (roughly 18x18x4) mounted on the floor on the left side under the sofa next to the outside wall and the oven cabinet. This box is directly over the generator and has wires coming from it, so it more than likely is connected to the generator. The manual for the MH is not detailed enough to show this box or what it's function is. I need to re-locate the box in order to install the recliners. I've called my dealer and Jayco for information about the box, but they have not been helpful so far. Does anyone know what this box is and whether I can relocate it? Does anyone know of any manual or other documentation that could give me more information about the box? Surely, this is a standard part included in every GS31 like mine. There must be some information somewhere about it. If anyone can shed light on this, I would surely appreciate it.
rdale1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:12 AM   #2

That box is your sub woffer for your surround sound
moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:14 AM   #3

Huh! I didn't even know that I had a surround sound. Still learning. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:30 AM   #4

I am the guy who posted the original thread. For those of you out there who may try this, I found out what the wooden box covers. It is not the surround sound system, as an earlier reply suggested. I found a couple of heavy cables that are clearly connected to the generator, which is directly beneath it. Also, there is a copper tube coming out of the floor, which I am pretty certain is the propane line going to the stove, which is immediately adjacent. The good news is that the box is much larger than it needs to be, so I should have no trouble locating a couple of small recliners there, as long as they have 4 feet rather than a large pedestal. If I run into any problems, I'll let you all know.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:18 AM   #5

Rdale, if there is a chance that you can take "before" and "after" pics, as well as pics of what the area looks like under the couch when you remove it, it could help others who are interested in the same mod. Neat idea and thanks for posting
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:39 AM   #6

Unfortunately, it is too late for the before picture, as I have already removed the sofa. I will take pics of the area where the sofa was located. I am still looking for small recliners that will fit into that area, which is 60 inches wide and 30 inches deep. I know they make such recliners because we had one when we had a condo and room was at a premum. Stay tuned . . .
Old 11-29-2011, 02:39 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to jloving

Please post what you end up with. I have a 2011 Greyhawk 31FK and I want to replace the sofa with recliners. This is early in my plan and I have not measured the space yet.

I see posts where you should use regular furniture and not "RV" furniture because the RV stuff will be more expensive and not as good quality. I was thinking Lazy-Boy. Do I have to secure the recliner to the floor or just put it in?
Old 11-30-2011, 09:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloving View Post
Please post what you end up with. I have a 2011 Greyhawk 31FK and I want to replace the sofa with recliners. This is early in my plan and I have not measured the space yet.

I see posts where you should use regular furniture and not "RV" furniture because the RV stuff will be more expensive and not as good quality. I was thinking Lazy-Boy. Do I have to secure the recliner to the floor or just put it in?
I did a similar mod to the OP in my last TT, but it was the dinette I removed and replaced with two small swivel recliners. I did go with mfg because I wanted to get the same fabric, and because they bolted to the floor. They were a bit more expensive, but very durable and very comfortable.

To answer your question, I don't think you necessarily HAVE to secure to the floor. I say this because the first summer I did this mod, I had not bolted to floor yet. Don't ask me why, we just didn't LOL. And they never really moved much at all. Many newer campers have dinettes with free standing chairs that don't move much either so I do not think it is required if you would prefer to find a cheaper version of a non RV type. Just make sure you can fit them through the door! RV doors are smaller and not all recliners will fit through - that is the main challenge with non RV furniture is that they are larger and getting them in is a challenge.
CampingGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdale1942 View Post
Unfortunately, it is too late for the before picture, as I have already removed the sofa. I will take pics of the area where the sofa was located. I am still looking for small recliners that will fit into that area, which is 60 inches wide and 30 inches deep. I know they make such recliners because we had one when we had a condo and room was at a premum. Stay tuned . . .

Check out a place that sell Lazy Boy recliners. That is where we bought ours. They are also easy to load because the backs just slide off.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:34 PM   #10

Small Recliners

Camping World has small recliners and often on clearance in the stores.
daviddudek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #11

I took pictures of my installation. Unfortunately, I don't know how to upload them to this site. If anyone can help with this, I would appreciate it. Also, the friend who installed my love seat recliners secured them to the floor using a steel bracket that allows the recliner to slide back and forth with the slide-out. Works like a charm and much, much more comfortable than the J-sofa. By the way, if anyone is in the market for a very slightly used J-sofa, please let me know. :-)
Old 01-27-2012, 06:24 PM   #12

Posting pictures

Click the Community Tab. You'll see a link to create an album and upload pictures.

Pictures need to be on your PC. You know how to do that?

Jim
Old 01-27-2012, 06:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloving View Post
Click the Community Tab. You'll see a link to create an album and upload pictures.

Pictures need to be on your PC. You know how to do that?

Jim
This is so weird... I knew a Jim Loving when I lived in Mass (30 years ago). Could it be a coincidence? I'll PM you.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #14

I am doing the same to my granite ridge 3100SS. So far all is well, but what have you all done with the many bolts coming up thru the floor? Did you just tap out the bolts downward and remove them from below?
Kathyb
Old 02-02-2013, 04:53 PM   #15

We found a reclining loveseat that fits in the 62" opening. We had to improvise a little to install the loveseat. Since the jacknife couch was a little narrower than the loveseat I installed a piece of OSB that extends a few inches beyond the lip below the jacknife. Using u-bolts and metal plates the loveseat is more securely anchored than the original. Our loveseat was on sale for about $600. We also found one at Lazy Boy, but on sale it was over $1200.
Used it with Adventurer Camper, Montana 2955RL, and Jayco 25RKS TT
We've had pop-up, travel trailers, camper, and fifth wheel over the last 30+ years.
Waiting for spring to get back on the road!
Toby2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #16

Toby, what MH do you have? Trying to convince my wife this will work. We have 2011 Greyhawk 31fk. What recliner did you buy? Wonder about the depth & height of the recliner.

Thanks for any feedback.

Jim
Old 02-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #17

2012 Greyhawk 31FK.

We bought a Klaussner Fireside reclining loveseat. Looking at the Klaussner website it appears the Fireside line may be discontinued. The do have other models that have about the same dimensions. Many of the styles have photos. I believe the rought opening for the J-sofa is about 62 - 64 inches. Our recliner is 60" wide and, looking at the invoice, 38" high and deep. It does cover some of the window, but we feel the comfort will be well worth it.

The Fireside reclining mechanism is a cable with "ripcord" handle next to the seat. There is enough room on the sides that the flip handle variety will probably work. The Lazy-Boy style handle might be tight.

I used a piece of OSB subflooring to make a deck for the loveseat since the pedestal in the MH is too short. After removing the J-sofa I put retainer nuts on the bolts so they wouldn't drop our while working and eliminated the risk of jamming the slide. I drilled holes to match the J-sofa nuts and used fender washers to spread the load. Before mounting the OSB I aligned the frame members of the recliner so it was straight and marked on the OSB. Then I drilled for u-bolts that come up from the bottom of the OSB, bolted the OSB in place and the aligned the recliner tracks between the u-bolt ends. I used plates that came with the u-bolts and nuts with nylon locks to secure the recliner. The OSB is about 1 - 1-1/2" back from the front of the recliner so heels don't catch.

We are really looking forward to spring to start using the MH and new recliner. Our pug likes to get up early; the recliner will be much more comfortable as I catch a few more winks!
Used it with Adventurer Camper, Montana 2955RL, and Jayco 25RKS TT
We've had pop-up, travel trailers, camper, and fifth wheel over the last 30+ years.
Waiting for spring to get back on the road!
Toby2011 is offline   Reply With Quote