Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-17-2016, 10:58 AM   #1

Road Rage!!

Had a encounter on the highway yesterday in Michigan. Was on the way home and had the cruise set at my normal 63mph, it was a 70 zone. Driving in the right hand lane I saw a car attempting to get back on from the shoulder. Traffic was very light so I moved to the left as I caught him to help him merge. He got up to speed very quickly so I moved back to the right, this was within 1/4 of a mile.

Saw a couple cars in the camera well behind the Jeep as I moved right my wife said hey there is a guy trying to pass on the right. So within a second or so this guy caught me and was trying to pass. I was committed to the maneuver so I stayed in the right lane. He quickly passed on the left got in front of me and slammed the brakes on!! I had to stand on the brakes to keep from hitting him, then he held his speed in front of us at 45mph for a couple miles then sped off. My wife got pics of the car and plates. It was a small chevy cruz. He obviously never saw the other guy trying to enter the highway or what was going on. People drive 75 in a 70 and he was going much faster than that.

How stupid, it could have gotten very ugly. A little car is no match for a semi.
This was our first incident with the RV and hopefully the last.
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 11:14 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Oz View Post
If I had a nickel for every car that sees "RV!" and darts out in front of me these days...

I get it, I probably did the same thing when I was young and stupid.

Still, driving the RV brings a whole new meaning to Defensive Driving, for me.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 11:50 AM   #3

That's one reason I have a dash cam.
Old 07-17-2016, 12:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
That's one reason I have a dash cam.
X2

In the last month I have recorded 3 people running the red light. One was a Tennessee DOT truck. The video is clear enough to read the tag number.

Great device!

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 03:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Had a encounter on the highway yesterday in Michigan. Was on the way home and had the cruise set at my normal 63mph, it was a 70 zone. Driving in the right hand lane I saw a car attempting to get back on from the shoulder. Traffic was very light so I moved to the left as I caught him to help him merge. He got up to speed very quickly so I moved back to the right, this was within 1/4 of a mile.

Saw a couple cars in the camera well behind the Jeep as I moved right my wife said hey there is a guy trying to pass on the right. So within a second or so this guy caught me and was trying to pass. I was committed to the maneuver so I stayed in the right lane. He quickly passed on the left got in front of me and slammed the brakes on!! I had to stand on the brakes to keep from hitting him, then he held his speed in front of us at 45mph for a couple miles then sped off. My wife got pics of the car and plates. It was a small chevy cruz. He obviously never saw the other guy trying to enter the highway or what was going on. People drive 75 in a 70 and he was going much faster than that.

How stupid, it could have gotten very ugly. A little car is no match for a semi.
Please tell me you called the state police and reported this. I live in Michigan and this "brake checking" has been going on for a while. There was a segment on the news here last week about an incident where a serious accident happened because of it. The guy had a dash cam and forwarded it to the police. He was arrested and charged for causing and leaving the scene of an accident. They are really cracking down on it.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Driving in the right hand lane I saw a car attempting to get back on from the shoulder. Traffic was very light so I moved to the left as I caught him to help him merge. He got up to speed very quickly so I moved back to the right, this was within 1/4 of a mile.
No good deed goes unpunished. There sometimes is truth in that statement.

I echo what others have said about a dashcam, I put a Rexing unit in my Seneca earlier this year "just in case". Hardwired and powered automatically whenever I start my Seneca.

My brother is a traffic cop here in our hometown and loves it when a motorist is able to produce video of an incident. He has had several hit-and-runs that were solved by viewing the videos, when the victims themselves never caught the license plate and only had a vague description of the car. Video doesn't have a foggy memory!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:16 PM   #7

I've heard that using a dashcam can be a two-way street. In some cases, the video can be evidence to prosecute you, and can be taken without your consent (with a warrant, I assume). Everybody makes mistakes driving, usually without incident. But if I screwed up badly, I wouldn't want a video that documents the accident available to help strengthen the case against me.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
I've heard that using a dashcam can be a two-way street. In some cases, the video can be evidence to prosecute you, and can be taken without your consent (with a warrant, I assume). Everybody makes mistakes driving, usually without incident. But if I screwed up badly, I wouldn't want a video that documents the accident available to help strengthen the case against me.
If you record evidence of a crime or incident by any means, including your personal cell phone, it can, and in many cases will be seized by the police as evidence.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
If you record evidence of a crime or incident by any means, including your personal cell phone, it can, and in many cases will be seized by the police as evidence.
True, but my point is why take a chance on having a source of evidence that could possibly incriminate you? I won't be getting a dashcam. There's too much of a record of everyday activities anyway (social media, cameras, video) for my personal comfort. I don't Facebook, Tweet, Instagram or Dashcam. Maybe I'm just old fashioned.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:45 PM   #10

So, for those that have them, what is the best bang for the buck in a dash cam? Never had one. Have only had a few times where I had to get on the brakes. Good chance if you brake check me, you might not survive to tell your side of the story. I have, a few times, had people get in front of me and slow down to be irritating. So, I just gouge on it and get right next to them and empty the air tank on the train horns. That generally gets them on the shoulder and stops their heart for a minute. Had one just a few weeks ago do that, and unlucky them had the windows down.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:24 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
So, I just gouge on it and get right next to them and empty the air tank on the train horns. That generally gets them on the shoulder and stops their heart for a minute. Had one just a few weeks ago do that, and unlucky them had the windows down.
I guess I will make that my goal for this week... sell some stocks to get my $1800 for the real train horns...

It is either that or more SOLAR panels

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:27 PM   #12

Gee.... Let's see, by the time I get a dash cam, gps, TPMS, and back-up camera, I've run outta room on my dash and windshield space!!
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
Gee.... Let's see, by the time I get a dash cam, gps, TPMS, and back-up camera, I've run outta room on my dash and windshield space!!
Leave your window down and hang your head out of the window. Problem solved.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping Couple View Post
Please tell me you called the state police and reported this. I live in Michigan and this "brake checking" has been going on for a while. There was a segment on the news here last week about an incident where a serious accident happened because of it. The guy had a dash cam and forwarded it to the police. He was arrested and charged for causing and leaving the scene of an accident. They are really cracking down on it.
I had something similar here in Pennsylvania. called the state police, gave them the license number. Fortunately, someone else had called the State Police and reported road rage on the same car at the same time. That person was cited.
I usually stay in the right lane when coming to merges with entrance ramps. However, I do slow down a little to give the merging traffic a hole. If they don't go for it, it's their loss.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:33 AM   #15

Quote:
So, for those that have them, what is the best bang for the buck in a dash cam?
Plenty of bargains on AMAZON. I went simple and inexpensive, 2 1/4" screen, 30 min continuous loop recording, impact lock and removable disk around $30. Just wanted basics because of the idiots that cut in and stop.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
I guess I will make that my goal for this week... sell some stocks to get my $1800 for the real train horns...

It is either that or more SOLAR panels

Don
You can get a system with train horns for a lot less than that.. go for it
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:47 AM   #17

Quote:
So, for those that have them, what is the best bang for the buck in a dash cam? Never had one. Have only had a few times where I had to get on the brakes. Good chance if you brake check me, you might not survive to tell your side of the story. I have, a few times, had people get in front of me and slow down to be irritating. So, I just gouge on it and get right next to them and empty the air tank on the train horns. That generally gets them on the shoulder and stops their heart for a minute. Had one just a few weeks ago do that, and unlucky them had the windows down.
Amazon has some for as low as $18.00.. you get what you pay forI had one of those and just replaced it with one for $99.00 from RearViewSafety.com
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:13 PM   #18

Just let it go. It is very easy to get caught up in the moment when someone is being a jack . Just try and be the better person and let it go it's not worth it. Way too many crazy wacked out people on the road today.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:59 PM   #19

am I the only one ..... or is road rage OK with shopping carts inside Walmart?
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:21 AM   #20

I'm kind of guilty of crazy driving with a buggy in Walmart. Sometimes drifting, up on 2 wheels around corners, the occasional hands free driving. I have gotten in a few accidents with buggies in Walmart, but nobody was hurt. The look on somebody's face is priceless when you tell them sternly you hope they have good insurance.

My wife sometimes maintains a safe distance from me in Walmart as she never knows what I'll do. The kids on the other hand love it and hang close.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote