Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-17-2016, 10:58 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Mr.Oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hebron
Posts: 213
Road Rage!!

Had a encounter on the highway yesterday in Michigan. Was on the way home and had the cruise set at my normal 63mph, it was a 70 zone. Driving in the right hand lane I saw a car attempting to get back on from the shoulder. Traffic was very light so I moved to the left as I caught him to help him merge. He got up to speed very quickly so I moved back to the right, this was within 1/4 of a mile.

Saw a couple cars in the camera well behind the Jeep as I moved right my wife said hey there is a guy trying to pass on the right. So within a second or so this guy caught me and was trying to pass. I was committed to the maneuver so I stayed in the right lane. He quickly passed on the left got in front of me and slammed the brakes on!! I had to stand on the brakes to keep from hitting him, then he held his speed in front of us at 45mph for a couple miles then sped off. My wife got pics of the car and plates. It was a small chevy cruz. He obviously never saw the other guy trying to enter the highway or what was going on. People drive 75 in a 70 and he was going much faster than that.

How stupid, it could have gotten very ugly. A little car is no match for a semi.
This was our first incident with the RV and hopefully the last.
__________________

__________________
Dan
2014 Seneca 37 FS
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 11:14 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Denver
Posts: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Oz View Post
This was our first incident with the RV and hopefully the last.
If I had a nickel for every car that sees "RV!" and darts out in front of me these days...

I get it, I probably did the same thing when I was young and stupid.

Still, driving the RV brings a whole new meaning to Defensive Driving, for me.
__________________

pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 11:50 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Where ever the boss says we're going.
Posts: 4,154
That's one reason I have a dash cam.
__________________
DISNEY LOVERS
PINNACLE 2015 38FLSA. aka: "Roam Sweet Home"
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 12:45 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
tnchuck100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sparta, TN
Posts: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
That's one reason I have a dash cam.
X2

In the last month I have recorded 3 people running the red light. One was a Tennessee DOT truck. The video is clear enough to read the tag number.

Great device!
__________________
Chuck - Sparta, TN
2012 Jay Flight 22FB, 2 x Honda EU2000i
2013 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 03:49 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Camping Couple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Kalamazoo
Posts: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Oz View Post
Had a encounter on the highway yesterday in Michigan. Was on the way home and had the cruise set at my normal 63mph, it was a 70 zone. Driving in the right hand lane I saw a car attempting to get back on from the shoulder. Traffic was very light so I moved to the left as I caught him to help him merge. He got up to speed very quickly so I moved back to the right, this was within 1/4 of a mile.

Saw a couple cars in the camera well behind the Jeep as I moved right my wife said hey there is a guy trying to pass on the right. So within a second or so this guy caught me and was trying to pass. I was committed to the maneuver so I stayed in the right lane. He quickly passed on the left got in front of me and slammed the brakes on!! I had to stand on the brakes to keep from hitting him, then he held his speed in front of us at 45mph for a couple miles then sped off. My wife got pics of the car and plates. It was a small chevy cruz. He obviously never saw the other guy trying to enter the highway or what was going on. People drive 75 in a 70 and he was going much faster than that.

How stupid, it could have gotten very ugly. A little car is no match for a semi.
This was our first incident with the RV and hopefully the last.
Please tell me you called the state police and reported this. I live in Michigan and this "brake checking" has been going on for a while. There was a segment on the news here last week about an incident where a serious accident happened because of it. The guy had a dash cam and forwarded it to the police. He was arrested and charged for causing and leaving the scene of an accident. They are really cracking down on it.
__________________

2015 Jayco 24FBS Elite Jay Flight
2013 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4X4 6.0L 3.73 Axle
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller
Equal-i-zer Hitch 10k/1000
Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:01 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Robbbyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Akron
Posts: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Oz View Post
Driving in the right hand lane I saw a car attempting to get back on from the shoulder. Traffic was very light so I moved to the left as I caught him to help him merge. He got up to speed very quickly so I moved back to the right, this was within 1/4 of a mile.
No good deed goes unpunished. There sometimes is truth in that statement.

I echo what others have said about a dashcam, I put a Rexing unit in my Seneca earlier this year "just in case". Hardwired and powered automatically whenever I start my Seneca.

My brother is a traffic cop here in our hometown and loves it when a motorist is able to produce video of an incident. He has had several hit-and-runs that were solved by viewing the videos, when the victims themselves never caught the license plate and only had a vague description of the car. Video doesn't have a foggy memory!
__________________
Rob R.
Akron, OH
2014 Seneca 37TS
Toads: 2014 Ford Explorer Sport or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:16 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
SmokerBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: PNW
Posts: 2,699
I've heard that using a dashcam can be a two-way street. In some cases, the video can be evidence to prosecute you, and can be taken without your consent (with a warrant, I assume). Everybody makes mistakes driving, usually without incident. But if I screwed up badly, I wouldn't want a video that documents the accident available to help strengthen the case against me.
__________________
Bill
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab
2011 Jay Flight 26BH
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:38 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Marcm157's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Newburgh
Posts: 1,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
I've heard that using a dashcam can be a two-way street. In some cases, the video can be evidence to prosecute you, and can be taken without your consent (with a warrant, I assume). Everybody makes mistakes driving, usually without incident. But if I screwed up badly, I wouldn't want a video that documents the accident available to help strengthen the case against me.
If you record evidence of a crime or incident by any means, including your personal cell phone, it can, and in many cases will be seized by the police as evidence.
__________________
_______________________________________________
2016 Ford F250 Supercab - 6.2 - Equalizer 12K WD Hitch
2016 Ford F150 Scab - 3.5 Ecoboost HD Tow - Roadmaster Active Suspension - (Reluctantly sold and deeply missed)
2016 Jayco 28BHBE - Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:20 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
SmokerBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: PNW
Posts: 2,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
If you record evidence of a crime or incident by any means, including your personal cell phone, it can, and in many cases will be seized by the police as evidence.
True, but my point is why take a chance on having a source of evidence that could possibly incriminate you? I won't be getting a dashcam. There's too much of a record of everyday activities anyway (social media, cameras, video) for my personal comfort. I don't Facebook, Tweet, Instagram or Dashcam. Maybe I'm just old fashioned.
__________________
Bill
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab
2011 Jay Flight 26BH
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:45 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
BigJohnD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Florien, LA
Posts: 1,461
So, for those that have them, what is the best bang for the buck in a dash cam? Never had one. Have only had a few times where I had to get on the brakes. Good chance if you brake check me, you might not survive to tell your side of the story. I have, a few times, had people get in front of me and slow down to be irritating. So, I just gouge on it and get right next to them and empty the air tank on the train horns. That generally gets them on the shoulder and stops their heart for a minute. Had one just a few weeks ago do that, and unlucky them had the windows down.
__________________

__________________
John and Rebecca Dickson
Emma-8 / Little John-6 / Iva-2
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat FX4, CC LB PSD, DRW
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)

"In Heaven, all RVs are perfect, and I won't have to fix them anymore."
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.