Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-26-2017, 07:02 AM   #1

Road Trip Home with our Seneca

Took delivery of our new Seneca in Indiana on Wednesday and have started our trip home to North Carolina. Dealer prep and walk through was excellent with the coach, not so good with the cab. First day out Thursday traveling to western PA. Heading to Phila. today then home on Monday. Unit handled great pulling a 2015 GMC Sierra on cruise at 65 mph. Issues during the ride, coach door rattling, cap area noisy. Found a few loose screws on rear panel, appear to be stripped.
I'll update after traveling on I80.
Jiggles
Attached Thumbnails
RV 2.jpg  
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:03 AM   #2

Congratulations on the new Seneca. On the way home from our delivery we had the dreaded high pitched whistle from mirrors. We looked at each other and knew if we couldn't fix that the Seneca was gone. $1.29 worth of electrical tape over the mirror bracket hole fixed that and now DW understands why I read this forum so often.

Yes, you are going to find loose and broken screws as well as other stuff as you get to start exploring the unit closely. Try not to sweat it too much and enjoy.

We just got back from our maiden voyage and really like the Seneca. And like many have stated, the low fuel light came on with about 30 something gallons left in tank. For $130 the ScanGauge was a great investment as it was with a couple of gallons of what I actually has in tank and a great peace of mind.

I am sure you, Javamon, RVermont, me and several others will have many stories to share in the coming weeks as we learn about our new Senecas.

Enjoy many miles of happiness.

Mark
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:32 PM   #3

Nice ride. Can't wait. Keep us informed of the good and the bad. Hopefully more good.
Safe travels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:56 PM   #4

Congrats! That is one nice rig and hopefully you can work out all of the bugs that come up, enjoy.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 05:40 PM   #5

Just got back from our first trip with our Seneca. Overall it went really well. State park didn't have sewer, so we had to learn to manage water. Would like a much larger gray water tank. Our punch list is long, but as expected. Handled as well as it could with 30mph winds. Biggest complaint is all the rattles and creaking going down the road. Gets a lot louder than I'd hoped. Back to the tanks. Why would the black water tank be larger than the gray? Wish there was a way to transfer from the gray to the black. Mirrors were definitely noisy, forgot to take care of that issue before we left.
AGGIE00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:18 PM   #6

We got rid of two rattles after our first outing:

1. Stove cover: Purchased stick-on plastic dots from Walmart (like you see on cabinet doors), and put them on the bottom and sides, so the fit was tight and/or against a dot.

2. Screen door handle cover - keep it closed during travel. For us that's where it sits tight and doesn't rattle.

We still have a whistle at 55-65 mph... doesn't seem to be from the mirror holes, as we've taped those up. I read here that it might be an engine belt? Need to figure that one out one of these days.

I was actually expecting a lot MORE rattles from all the contents of the cabinets... so, I've been pleased with the ride so far. We did put shelf liner down in EVERY cabinet and drawer, which helps a lot with minimizing movement in the storage areas.
crumgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 07:05 PM   #7

TSB-355625 / KPP-294201 and isolator kit 2650 fixed the issue. Trust me! This is what you need, it is a Freightliner service bulletin and most any Freightliner service center can do this for you. I think it cost us around $300.00. Noise is something to do with the shifter cable and when your in overdrive at highway speeds it will make a whistle / cricket sound until you let off the gas.
Colombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 08:15 PM   #8

Be careful on I 81 as the speed changes a great deal. Once you get past wytheville it also drops to 65 until you get to NC boarder. We live over here in little Denver but work in Southern WV. Safe travels!
McGintys924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:23 AM   #9

Thanks Colombo!
There's a Freightliner service center about 30 min away... we'll look into it!
crumgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:24 AM   #10

This forum is great for sharing. We arrived home late last night put 1400 miles on the Seneca from Indiana to NC by way of Philadelphia. Over that period of time I think we found all the rattles while traveling I80 and I81 in PA. We averaged 10.2 MPG, cruising at 63 MPH which I am very pleased with when pulling a Sierra 1500 crew cab. I thought the ride and handling was good the fuel peddle is stiff but manageable and cruise control worked fine however not liken the location of the control switch. We were able to stop the whistle on the passenger but drivers side still whistles. I will look into the isolator kit Columbo referenced. The last item is the head lights. Last night was stormy and the low beams are crap!. When I put the high beam on it was like driving with normal lows and nobody noticed. I think I read of a fix so I need to look into. Oh and I almost F....d up when attempting to pump in DEF at a truck stop. A separate nozzle hidden in a black box not marked with no instructions.

All in all a good ride, minor issues so we'll be ready for trip to the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Thanks all

TSB-355625 / KPP-294201 and isolator kit 2650 fixed the issue.
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 05:08 PM   #11

Hey guys - what do you think of the side entry door? It doesn’t seem like the single lock is very secure. The real annoying thing is having to open the screen door slide since the latch is on the outside. The screen door latch is not very secure either. Our Sunseeker (just traded in) had a much nicer system with at thru-handle for screen door.
kndspd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:02 AM   #12

Will help a lot to get headlights adjusted, I do not think they adjust them from factory slap the box on the frame and go throws geometry off
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:47 AM   #13

The door is not as good as i would have expected, I the top and can vibrate as well as the screen door, if would have been nice to have a handle on the inside and as it is sort of awkward to reach and is not intuitive to people unfamiliar with the unit. I have had them pull and damage the screen door more times than I would like.

The head light aiming is critical on these units, mine was only around 20 inches at 25 ft and was impossible to see anything at night. I raised them and it helped a lot, then had it in for service at freightliner and had them further adjust now they are very good and i have no issue seeing down the road, though i might buy some LED head lights to see if that changes any thing.

Good luck and safe travels
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 06:36 PM   #14

You guys sure are right about the headlights. Crushing down I95 right now with high beams on and no one is complaining. They don’t even hit the rear view mirrors of the cars in front of us. Definitely need to adjust. and... we are having inverter issues. Will post that on another thread.
kndspd is offline   Reply With Quote