Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2017, 02:12 PM   #1

Roadmaster vs Blue Ox components

After purchasing my 2016 Redhawk 26XD last year, I adjusted the Hellwig springs and had the front end aligned. The modifications improved the road handling substantially. This Year I’m towing my 2013 Ford Edge weighing in at 4300 Lbs. utilizing the Blue Ox Aventa BX7445 tow bar and Blue Ox Patriot BRK2012 braking systems. Now what was a comfortable ride is becoming a chore, especially on downhill runs and with large vehicles passing. I'm almost back to square one. One item that may be contributing to some of the problem is that is the attachment points for the tow bar on the Edge is 23 inches off the ground requiring a 6 inch riser on my receiver to keep the tow bar level, I'm wondering if this would be enough to alter the C of G when cornering?
I realize I need to upgrade my rear stabilizer bar to get rid of some of the tail wag, possibly my front one and possibly adding a steering damper. Probably a combination of the three.
I’m interested in hearing from others on the success rate or failure using these items. I’ve narrowed my component options to Roadmaster or Blue Ox as these are readily available.
I am still open to alternate suggestions and options provided parts are available in Canada.
brandysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:22 PM   #2

We added sway bars front and rear, steering stabilizer and rear trac bar. I think the trac bar was the best fix with regards to towing a vehicle. All of them help in their own way so I'd do them all again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:54 PM   #3

Thanks, hadn't considered the rear trac bar. Did you install all components at the same time or progressive until you were happy with the ride? What brands did you use?
Old 06-19-2017, 11:08 AM   #4

Handling is affected by the higher center of gravity of MH's. On my class A I had to take curves slower than the posted speed. Set slower expectations?

Your toad is a higher percentage of the rigs weight as compared to mine so I would guess that the tail could wag the dog a bit.

Passing trucks in either direction do not push the Seneca around...only feel it a bit in certain cross-wind conditions

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:12 PM   #5

I used Blue OX for the rear sway bar and trac bar, Hellwig for the front sway bar and Safe-t-plus for the steering stabilizer. I did all of those at once since I was having an alignment done on Jayco's dime and the shop agreed to install all of it for $150. Only reason I mixed the brands on the sway bars was the hellwig wasn't available when I ordered it. I've since replaced the rear shocks with Koni FSD shocks and it rides significantly better. Those were a sub 20 min install myself. I'll probably tackle the front shocks this fall.

I think the sway bars are a must. The trac bar is a nice to have if you aren't towing a car but probably a great to have if you are towing.
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:01 PM   #6

Thanks drk98, that's the feedback I need. I contacted Blue Ox and they agree with the Trac Bar for heavier toads. Will probably go with the sway bar and steering damper also.
When I owned my boat, it was considered as "a hole in the water you threw money into". What truism should we use for RV's?