Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2017, 01:02 PM   #1

Roof Leaks

We are having many roof leaking problems with our new 2017 Seneca 37HJ. When in Middlebury for other warranty issues we mentioned roof leaking, they said air conditioners wasn't tightened down. But that didn't cure the issue, every time it rains we have water on the floor in numerous areas. Now apparently we also have water coming in on the cab over area. A handmade quilt that was to be a gift just got ruined due to a roof leak. Does anyone have any ideas where the water could be coming in at? There is usually water on floor in several areas, but we don't find any water on ceilings. We are also having a lot of issues with the refigerator, food freezes in the fridge, so we turn it down, and food in freezer
doesn't freeze. We have had rv's with same type of refrigerator and not any any problem. Ice cream runs everywhere in this one. What # does everyone run theirs at?
MO Farmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 01:11 PM   #2

To locate leaks you need a pressure test, if your local dealer doesn't do it check this link as they list dealers that do.

http://www.sealtechusa.com
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 04:25 PM   #3

Look at all the seals on your slides. Being new they should be in good shape but could be just the opposite, or maybe torn/ripped. Might need to lube them up. Do you have toppers on your slides?? Are the slides closing completely??

Also suggest you look in all of the upper cabinets along the upper seam at the wall & roof? Any evidence of water getting in?

Have you gotten up on the roof and looked for any tears, rips or bad caulking??
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:06 AM   #4

We are thinking that water is coming in thru the air-heat duct work. There is toppers on slides, and slides are sealing. We have looked at roof because satellite quit working, roof seal didn't look all that good. We are going to get in touch with Jayco Warranty this morning and see what they have to say. The awning has a twist in it when it rolls-unrolls, when we finally extended it we noticed a hole-tear at end of twist.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Farmers View Post
We have looked at roof because satellite quit working, roof seal didn't look all that good.
How old is your unit? It is your responsibility to inspect and reseal if needed every six months. They could deny any warranty follow-up based on that. Not that they will, just be prepared for that response.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:59 AM   #6

I really think you need to document this well, with pictures and notes of dates and times. Warranty problems could come up, later.

So what type of refrigerator do you have? I was thinking the 2017's had the residential style refrigerator.?

How much are you in the unit? Full time, part time? or it rains and you go out and find a problem afterwards?
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:21 AM   #7

Just noticed your fridge issue. Is the thermistor properly positioned on the fridge coil.

This link should help based on model #

https://www.arprv.com/norcold-thermistor.php
Old 06-19-2017, 10:31 AM   #8

I don't know if it was on this site or another site, but they were getting a serious leak from the slide even though the seals were good. The water was getting in through outside of the slide where there is a joint near the bottom front. The water would weep in through this joint then onto the bottom of the slide then onto the floor. If possible, I would immediately cover the rig(metal would be ideal) to stop any rain intrusion, then methodically go over every inch of it. Caulk with approved caulking only(no silicone) on any suspect area. The pressure test is a good one. I think they pressurize it to .3 to .6 inches of water, then use soap spray to look for bubbles. One guy made his own unit with a leaf blower and an adapter plate through a vent. It worked for him. When the air conditioner is running, it should discharge its water to the top of the roof. At least thats what mine does. Perhaps there is a hose not attached and it's coming into the ducts. Good luck
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:52 AM   #9

Closely inspect the exterior seam just behind where the cab and body join (behind the overhang). Mine had a leak where I could hear a drip but never saw water inside. Now the seam has swelled up considerably and the gap is much wider. Have a temporary silicone fix until Jayco does something more permanent.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0161.jpg  

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:24 PM   #10

WaltW.

I have had this seam cover shrink from the top down (paint lines no longer match). The bulge was caused by screws backing out.
Foster15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:47 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Marker lights near the roof are another area to check.
If you take lenses off, you can inspect for water signs.
Also, if the screws that hold lense on are rusted that can be a sign of water intruding in screw holes.
I use plumbers putty to seat and seal lenses.

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:02 PM   #12

We have talked to Jayco in Middlebury, and will be headed that way after 4th of July. Hopefully we won't have many rainy days until then. But there is rain forecast for the weekend.
To answer your questions, MH was purchased in February and used for the first time end of April. We live in it for the summer, staying on our farm in Missouri and traveling around some. It was new and this will be our second trip to Middlebury sine end of April. So far we have been very pleased with Jayco and needed repairs. This is our 3rd MH, first Class C as other 2 were DP's. They had residential fridges, which we are really missing. What do most use for a temp setting? I have tried from 7-9, trying to find out which works best. We have a thermometer in it, 9 freezes vegetables, but keeps stuff frozen in freezer compartment.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:29 PM   #13

I had a similar problem with my fridge finally I put in a fridge fan to circulate the air helped a lot with uneven temps
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:27 PM   #14

Same thing happened to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foster15 View Post
WaltW.

I have had this seam cover shrink from the top down (paint lines no longer match). The bulge was caused by screws backing out.
Where are these screws located ? and is this a Jayco warranty issue or one that I have to do ?
Attached Thumbnails
side shot (4).JPG  
ready2retire&drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:27 PM   #15

From Foster15's post I believe the screws are located under the trim strip. Should be a Jayco warranty issue but not sure how they deal with coaches after the 2 years are up. My 2 years is running out.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:46 AM   #16

The year warranty is a benchmark. A well documented problem not resolved in the 2 years, but happened in the 2 years will still be honored. Pictures, letters of concerns and a log of phone calls of who we've spoke with always resolves concerns. Be diligent and do your part to document it well. They'll do their part to take care of the concern. Parts fail, nothing is perfect. A company makes profits on continued quality, value and reputation. Good luck getting things resolved.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 06:17 AM   #17

The wire guide(plastic piece with 3 wire tracks) on my roof where the satellite wiring penetrates the fiberglass was never caulked, I had water come in at this point and drip from the air conditioner, it followed the chase the sat wires were running in. Techs claimed ac not properly seated, I finally convinced him to climb the roof and he said the wire guide should be caulked, no more leaks. Are the drips somewhat inline with where the sat wires penetrate the fiberglass roof? Mine were pretty close. There are only so many cuts in the fiberglass roof and one of them is the culprit. The ac does have a substantial gasket and would have to be very loose to leak or be very over tightened.
RogerSwann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:22 AM   #18

Sorry to hear of your water intrusion issues. While not a roof problem, also pay particular attention to the 'picture frame' molding around the slides. The gaps between the slide wall and the frame must be sealed or you will have thru-wall water intrusion issues. We were victims of that.

Back to the rood: we typically go for an annual roof inspection to prevent issues. Wise investment in time and money IMHO.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:42 AM   #19

We are still sitting near Iowa line in MO, if you have heard our weather issues lately, you know we have been in heavy rain. Water came in at cab/body seam, air conditioner, air conditioner vents, speaker, under cabinets. It was a lake in here last night. Fridge also quit due to some safety switch tripped. Any ideas of where to check for all of this water intrusion would be greatly appreciated. We can't leave here as we have kids coming tomorrow for wedding resheral/wedding on Saturday. So we will have 7 soggy people in here (3 preschool age). And they will be soggy with all of the water leaks, cab bed is soaking wet.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:37 AM   #20

Farmer, I am North of Columbia, Mo about 15 miles. Are uyou near Greentop ? If there is something I can do to help, pleaselet me know. I am by NO means an RV tech but I have a tube of Dicor self leveling and several blue tarps. Alos it is only about 15 miles from me to Camping World if you need something from there. More rain here tonight.
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote