Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-22-2012, 09:28 PM   #1

Roof maintenance

My 02 is new to me. I am wondering what I should do to keep it in shape? Another coat of something? It doesn't leak. It came with a cover so I think it has been covered sometime in it's life. Any thoughts? Stan
stans02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:53 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stans02 View Post
My 02 is new to me. I am wondering what I should do to keep it in shape? Another coat of something? It doesn't leak. It came with a cover so I think it has been covered sometime in it's life. Any thoughts? Stan
Is it the EPDM roof? If so there are a plethora of products on the market to clean/protect/preserve/etc/etc. My neighbor behind me was showing me all the neat stuff the dealer sold him for his EPDM roof, about $200 worth. He asked me what I used on mine and I told him whatever the roof manufacturer recommended. I told him there should be a manual or a sheet of paper in the materials that he got telling him how to care for it. I told him mine said to clean twice a year with dish detergent and water and not to use anything else. I saw him later and he told me that he found his papers and it said the same. He was a bit disturbed that the dealer sold him all that stuff...:hihi:
Old 07-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #3

My papers said Spic and Span.....I even went to the dealership after being hypnotized by a few Roof maintenance 'snake oil' sales videos on websites,and one of the salesman said the same thing....''dont buy any of that stuff out there...dish detergent will work just fine''!!!!!!
Old 07-23-2012, 05:37 PM   #4

I use Protect All's Rubber Roof cleaner and protectent (2 products) most of the time. If I am cleaning the roof at my camp (pine trees all around) I use Thetfords rubber roof cleaner and protectent, an all in one product. Too many pine needles drop on the roof to use the 2 step system. With the cost of replacing the rubber roof I prefer to use a product made for it.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:39 PM   #5

Right from the manufacturer:

CLEANING AND MAINTAINING THE ALPHA SYSTEMS ROOF MEMBRANE

Proper care and maintenance of your Alpha Systems roof membrane is critical for years of trouble-free performance. Normal maintenance is simple, easy and requires no special materials.

Periodic cleaning (three to four times per year) is the primary maintenance required. Alpha Systems recommends using a non-abrasive household cleaner, such as Top Job or Spic-N-Span, and a medium-bristled scrub brush. Do not use any harsh or highly-abrasive products during cleaning. When finished cleaning, remember to thoroughly rinse the roof and sidewalls in order to remove any soap residue and to prevent streaking. CARE SHOULD BE EXERCISED WHEN WORKING ON TOP OF YOUR UNIT! THE ROOF MAY BECOME SLIPPERY WHEN WET.

DO NOT USE ACETONE, OR ANY OTHER PRODUCTS CONTAINING PETROLEUM DISTILLATES, ON THE ALPHA SYSTEMS ROOF MEMBRANE. USE OF THESE PRODUCTS WILL DAMAGE THE MEMBRANE.

Periodic inspection of the roof, during cleaning, is highly recommended. Check the membrane for signs of damage. Check the caulk/lap sealant used in all termination areas, and around all accessories and fasteners, for signs of cracking or voids.

The roof membrane can be cut or punctured by sharp objects. Caution should be used when placing any articles on the roof. If damage does occur, the membrane can usually be patched.

Alpha's membrane is quite inert and will resist weathering well. It does not require the periodic application of products to protect it from ultra-violet light or ozone. In fact, these products can often cause damage to the roof membrane.

If you have any questions, please contact Alpha Systems at 574-295-5206.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Right from the manufacturer:

CLEANING AND MAINTAINING THE ALPHA SYSTEMS ROOF MEMBRANE
snip
DO NOT USE ACETONE, OR ANY OTHER PRODUCTS CONTAINING PETROLEUM DISTILLATES, ON THE ALPHA SYSTEMS ROOF MEMBRANE. USE OF THESE PRODUCTS WILL DAMAGE THE MEMBRANE.
snip
If you have any questions, please contact Alpha Systems at 574-295-5206.
Grumpy, I have been assuming that my 2000's roof is EPDM - it's a white material with a slightly rough texture. The Jayco manual says that roofs are either aluminum (obviously not in my case) or rubber. Would Alpha have been the mfg. of my roofing material? I recently re-sealed my end cap seams with Eternabond and did use a quick acetone wipe (per the Eternabond instructions) to prep the areas to be taped. Hope I didn't create a long term issue...

2000 Jayco Designer 3230
32' - E450 - Triton V10
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:47 AM   #7

Here is the info right out of an JAYCO 03 owners manual. You shouldn't have any trouble with what you did before installing the Eternabond. They just don't want people using it on the roof to remove spots/stains.

Roof
The roof of your motorhome is covered with TPO roofing material. The proper care, cleaning and
maintenance of your TPO Roofing is quite simple because of the basic properties and longevity of
the material itself.
Periodic cleaning is the primary maintenance. Alpha Systems suggest using Murphy
®
Oil Soap with
a soft nylon brush or sponge. DO NOT USE solid or granulated cleaners, as they will mar the natural
finish.
DO NOT USE Armor All
®
or other oil/solvent base cleaners as they will leave a slicksurface.
A good thorough cleaning with some elbow grease and the suggestions above should keep your roof
looking good and remove most stains. For more stubborn stains, you should contact your authorized
dealer.
If you keep your Royal Tuff-Ply™ TPO roof clean, you will be performing the primary maintenance
necessary to keep it looking good and extend its longevity.
Annual inspection of the roof is suggested. Checkthe membrane for possible damage and checkthe
caulk/lap sealant used in all termination areas and around all accessories and fasteners.
Royal Tuff-Ply™ is UV resistant. It will not retain odors or rot
Old 07-25-2012, 08:44 AM   #8

That's interesting. My '00 Jayco manual is different & only mentions alum. or EPDM. Guess they must have started using TPO soon after...

2000 Jayco Designer 3230
32' - E450 - Triton V10
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:36 PM   #9

ALPHA makes both and the cleaning instructions are the same:

Here's the link

http://www.alphasystemsinc.com/ProductCare
Old 07-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
ALPHA makes both and the cleaning instructions are the same:

Here's the link

http://www.alphasystemsinc.com/ProductCare
Thank you for the link.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:23 PM   #11

Spic 'n Span. 'Nuff said. (Brother in law is a commercial roofer installing rubber roofs every day.
knoxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote