Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-25-2017, 10:03 AM   #1

Rotted / Sheered Basement Door Hinge

I noticed the door covering my genset was not quite level, last night, when fueling up for our trip out to Yellowstone, to begin this weekend. Upon walking up to the door and grabbing the latch, the entire door kicked out from the bottom and hung sideways with only the top hinge and the latch keeping it in place.

As a temporary fix, I was able to knock out the sheered hinge, which appeared to be some type of rivet, with a bolt and nut and some generous amounts of thread-lock, but I would rather fix it with the correct part, once we return home.

Has anyone had any issues with the hinges on a Seneca; have you had any luck getting replacement parts from Jayco?
Old 05-25-2017, 07:13 PM   #2

I've the same model and year, but not that problem. Mine stays outside, but I do use a top cover from ADCO. I will definitely be checking much closer.

I did have the leak over the exterior TV cabinet on the right side. You may want to check there as well.
tjbroussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:52 PM   #3

As you can see in the photo with the bolt, which is my repair, quite a bit of rust. The second photo is the top hinge, which appears to be in need of a repair shortly, as well
Attached Thumbnails
0525172048_HDR.jpg   0525172049_HDR.jpg  
memphis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 12:31 PM   #4

I wonder if this is a reaction between dissimilar metals like stainless and aluminum???

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 01:29 PM   #5

On my 2014 TS most of my compartment door hinges were looking bad not long after I got my unit. So I removed all doors and hinges, had the hinges acid-dipped and cadmium plated. New stainless stop bolts were installed on the hinges. They now look better than the hinges I have seen on brand new Senecas. While doors were off I had my unit completely rustproofed paying special attention to the support members for the compartments.

Remounted the hinges to the body with stainless bolts, nuts, and washers. Then used new stainless self-tapping bolts for the hinges to the doors. Of course the original steel screws into the doors seized and I had to drill them all out first!

I hope this helps them last!
Attached Thumbnails
20170526_142809.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:29 PM   #6

Here is a link to a prior post where I talked about my hinges and such, includes pictures of the hardware I put it back together with.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5...a-34762-2.html
Old 06-04-2017, 06:54 PM   #7

Robby, as always, you are a wealth on information!!!! I'll be gathering up some supplies to make this repair!
Old 07-16-2017, 06:55 AM   #8

I finally received a replacement hinge, yesterday, from Jayco. After looking at the part, it's no wonder the original failed. I'm actually surprised others haven't broken, too... I believe I'll be keeping my "band-aid" fix as I believe my carriage bolt, washer and spring clip are probably better than the supplied piece. -I may even start replacing some as I get time...
Attached Thumbnails
P7160035.jpg  
Old 07-16-2017, 07:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis02 View Post
I finally received a replacement hinge, yesterday, from Jayco. After looking at the part, it's no wonder the original failed. I'm actually surprised others haven't broken, too... I believe I'll be keeping my "band-aid" fix as I believe my carriage bolt, washer and spring clip are probably better than the supplied piece. -I may even start replacing some as I get time...
It is actually sad that Jayco sent you one with a bad hinge pin. All my originals looked good when I inspected them prior to plating and re-installation. Your experience has reinforced that I need to keep an eye on mine!
Old 08-10-2017, 01:22 PM   #10

Just an update... We had another hinge fail, this week. -I had just fired up the main and was preparing to pull out of the campground. The DW was putting the wheel chocks back in their spot in the large street-side bay when the lower hinge broke causing the door to twist downward.
Luckily I had managed to throw a cordless drill in before our trip and was able to use an old worn out (marginally sharper than a popsicle stick) drill bit to drill out the rivet and replace with a self-tapping screw to get us home.
Planning to call Jayco and ask them why a 3-year old camper's hinges are failing at such a high rate.
I would recommend that everyone check their hinges for rust and consider taking steps to mitigate a failure.

At this point, I'm planning to remove all the doors on mine, drill the hinges, press in a bushing then use a stainless bolt in place of Jayco's rivet. -At the same time, I'm going to sand down all the rusted surfaces and apply epoxy paint in hopes of staving off future failures.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:54 AM   #11

Every month or so you will see me walking around my unit with a can of WD-40 squirting and spraying everything that moves/has metal to metal contact/corrosion/etc. If something looks like rust or oxidation (I know, rust IS oxidation) that area really gets blasted. I learned to love WD-40 on my boat and use it everywhere. I've never had a permanent stain and it is compatible with almost every material.
I've lived in the south for 17 years and never had road salt to contend with. I recently moved north and will watching for stuff even more
Hailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hailey View Post
I've lived in the south for 17 years and never had road salt to contend with. I recently moved north and will watching for stuff even more
Did not realize Southerners moved north. Always thought it was the other way around.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:10 AM   #13

"Did not realize Southerners moved north. Always thought it was the other way around"

Yeah, i'm trying to get the moving company to do it half price. I keep telling them that their trucks are empty going my way.
Hailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:24 PM   #14

"Planning to call Jayco and ask them why a 3-year old camper's hinges are failing at such a high rate."

They are perfectly enginered to make it through the 2 year warranty period. But seriously nice repair. Cant belive they used a rivit for that.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote