Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-02-2017, 04:55 PM   #1

Rubber trim around door...

During our test drive, the rubber trim around the door, on the outside of the coach, came off. It was dragging along the road and hanging on only by a screw at the bottom.

Now that we own the RV--a Melbourne 24M--I want it to be more secure. It is only tucked in around the door frame. It could easily come loose again............
Is there a way to secure it more securely?

Cheers.........
thirdktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:36 PM   #2

Had the exact same problem. Look backed and it was dangling in the wind with the only thing holding the strip were the two phillips screws at top and bottom. My solution was to put a thin strip of black silicon caulk across the entire strip. Since that time and most recently have been to Colorado, Wyoming and Montana with absolutely no more problem there. Jayco should do a better job of mounting the strip. They should very well know if you drive more than 30 mpg the strip will come loose. Anyway if you do a nice job with caulk on a cool day such that it does not hardened fast it will look nice and and look neat as if was originally constructed there by Jayco. Good luck.
xmtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:13 PM   #3

Xm: Did you pull the entire strip off, leaving only the top and bottom secured, whey you applied the caulk?.......
thirdktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:52 PM   #4

I better double check mine, I also have a problem except mine keeps popping out of the slot. I fixed it by unscrewing the screw, pulling it about 4 inches down, cutting the rubber and rescrewing. I may have pulled too tight. Not sure what holds it up at the top. Seems impossible to keep it where it's supposed to be. Caulking may be the way to go, can't imagine why I would need access to the screws the strip hides.

2016 Melbourne 24K
2014 Flight Swift SLX 184BH (sold)

PHOTO ALBUMS:
2016 Melbourne 24K Mods, Tips, Info
Ortak's 2017 Melbourne 24K mods
KST-184BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:02 PM   #5

Hmmm, haven't had this problem but will check out the rubber trim just in case. Thanks for noting this.
jkaras7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:06 AM   #6

No, did not remove strip. I only applied the caulk to one side of strip. The caulk simply wedges up against making it tight inside the track. If you want it to look original I suggest you do it when the weather is cool so the caulk does not start to cure right away. Home Depot sells caulk that is rain proof in 30 min. Would not use that one because it starts to set up almost immediately making it difficult for you to get a smooth finish down the whole strip. You need a few minutes to smooth the caulk across the strip and the caulk is firmly inside the track so it looks kind of professional. Once done I think you'll never have a problem with the thing blowing off because the caulk will probably outlast Jayco's little rubber molding strip anyway.
xmtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:49 AM   #7

You can also use 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive. Available at all the big stores. Weatherstrip adhesive is specially designed for rubber applications. You can take the entire strip off and re-install it. Be careful with that adhesive though, it sticks to everything and is a bear to get off. But I can promise it'll never come off again.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:55 AM   #8

You might investigate a product made for this job, Although there are probably several other companies that produce a simular product, the one I am familiar with is " 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive". I know it is available in yellow or black. I prefer the yellow, or as many refer to it " Gorilla Snot" !!It should do a good job for you.
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:20 PM   #9

Just had mine fixed under warranty
Vezfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:42 PM   #10

Same problem with our Seneca, put silicon caulk along the rubber trim and in the crevis the trim goes in. We have not had a problem since.
Fishman417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:07 PM   #11

I had the same issue. I pulled it down about 2 inches, cut it, and screwed it back in. Held up for over 2000 so far.
Fishstick8 is offline   Reply With Quote