Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-27-2016, 12:58 AM   #1

Run Time of Onan 4000 Generator?

We're still new to motor homes but had a TT for 2 years before we had a terrible accident that demolished it.

We use our 2016 Redhawk 31 XLS to attend dog shows and have always had at least electric and water at the show sites. Next month there's a show with dry camping only but before we consider staying onsite rather than a nearby campground with full-hookups, I wanted to ask how many hours our Onan 4000 generator could run. It's still hot here in FL so we'd be running the AC.

Thanks for any help!

2016 Jayco Redhawk 31 XLS
2097 Ford F-150 King Ranch
2 Dalmatians, 1 Maltese
hotpep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 04:30 AM   #2

We ran ours for 48 hours nonstop when the power was out. Often run it for 12 to 18 hours a day when no hookups available.
LabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 04:53 AM   #3

The Google is your friend. Towards the bottom of page 2.

http://www.powerequipmentdirect.com/..._EVAP_Spec.pdf
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:03 AM   #4

You will be doing that generator a favor by letting it run. Light 'er up and let 'er eat! -Keep a periodic eye on your fluids and you'll be good.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:22 AM   #5

Keep in mind the generator is using the motorhome's fuel tank as it's source and according to the Spec Link posted up to 0.7 gallons/hour.
Fill up the motorhome's fuel tank before arriving if needed.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 02:42 PM   #6

In some camping areas within close quarters and noise and safety requirements there might also be a need for one of these added to the generator;
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-44461-G.../dp/B000BUU5XG
Old 09-27-2016, 03:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis02 View Post
You will be doing that generator a favor by letting it run. Light 'er up and let 'er eat! -Keep a periodic eye on your fluids and you'll be good.
Yes VERY VERY true!. I just found out for not running my 2015 Grayhawk Onan 4000 generator that I need a new carburetor ($745.plus) for not running it enough the fuel lines got clogged and carb cannot be fixed? So have to put new one in... Talked to Jayco and they won't cover it as it's "my fault". I missed one month starting it up and couldn't get it started again. Finally took it to CampingWorld to use my "Extended Warranty".... (What a joke). CW won't cover it cause it's under Jayco warranty and Jayco won't cover it as it's my fault (according to them).

Now, I'm looking at carbs online to see prices and fix it myself. Any of you guys ever replaced the carburetor before on the Onan 4000? Any knowledge base will help.

S/
Rick

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 04:45 PM   #8

We had to replace the carb twice on our Onan gas 5500 in the first motorhome after not caring for it properly as you describe. $225 each time from Amazon.
Easy job 15 minutes, but a pain in the wallet!

Fortunately the last two motorhomes which includes the present are diesel and not susceptible to the same abuse.

The Onan owners, service, and parts manuals are easy enough to find with a quick Google search.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHawk51 View Post
Yes VERY VERY true!. I just found out for not running my 2015 Grayhawk Onan 4000 generator that I need a new carburetor ($745.plus) for not running it enough the fuel lines got clogged and carb cannot be fixed? So have to put new one in... Talked to Jayco and they won't cover it as it's "my fault". I missed one month starting it up and couldn't get it started again. Finally took it to CampingWorld to use my "Extended Warranty".... (What a joke). CW won't cover it cause it's under Jayco warranty and Jayco won't cover it as it's my fault (according to them).

Now, I'm looking at carbs online to see prices and fix it myself. Any of you guys ever replaced the carburetor before on the Onan 4000? Any knowledge base will help.

S/
Rick
You should be able to have your carb cleaned and parts replaced if needed for a lot less than $745. When gas sits in a carb it creates a varnish that clings to the jets and clogs small passages. Usually a small engine shop will take a carb apart and clean in a ultrasonic parts cleaner and put back together for under $200 plus parts if needed.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
You should be able to have your carb cleaned and parts replaced if needed for a lot less than $745..
Nope. Thanks to the EPA and the other tree huggers it is sealed & non-rebuildable. REMOVE & REPLACE only..
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:40 PM   #11

I haven't heard of a sealed disposable carb before, learn something new everyday. Then before I would spend money on a new carb try this. I have an older Honda 6500 watt genset that I use at home maybe once or twice a year and it was running rough, searching unless the choke was pulled out a bit. So I drained the gas tank added a 16oz can of Seafoam injector cleaner with 8 oz gas and let it run a few minutes and shut it off, let it sit for two days and repeated this two more times. Filled tank with gas and it runs like new, no searching, choke off. On a genset in an RV since the fuel comes from the RV gas tank you would need a longer fuel line to run from the carb to a container with the cleaner/gas mix in it.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Nope. Thanks to the EPA and the other tree huggers it is sealed & non-rebuildable. REMOVE & REPLACE only..
@#$%^ that I'd rebuild it.

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Yup, I talked to Cummings and they basically said the same thing.

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:06 PM   #14

Quote:

True.
I too forked out $700 to the local Cummins place.

Our Greyhawk was gently used when we grabbed it and I took it to Cummins thinking the warranty would cover anything.

Nope.
Gummed carbs are not covered.

I asked about rebuild and they said they absolutely could not rebuild due to regs and faced a stiff fine.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
Our Greyhawk was gently used when we grabbed it and I took it to Cummins thinking the warranty would cover anything.
There is a buyer/seller misconception in the used market that a lower number of hours on a generator is a good thing, when it's generally the exact opposite.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:11 AM   #16

Run it my cousins went to tallataga ran the generator 72 hrs straight. It was a bunch of wemon that used the motorhome at that time my uncle owned it now I am the current owner I have no issues as I travel down the interstate I run mine for the passengers in the back because it's hot without the AC.
Karl06greyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:32 AM   #17

SEAFOAM in the gas tank is your freind.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:40 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarkl View Post
There is a buyer/seller misconception in the used market that a lower number of hours on a generator is a good thing, when it's generally the exact opposite.
I think that's true for the entire coach.
Don't let them sit and rot.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:51 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
I think that's true for the entire coach.
Don't let them sit and rot.
X-2 My dealer says the same thing. Mileage was never a concern since he knew when problems arose they were found and fixed, especially leaks.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 03:19 PM   #20

Quote:

I don't think the epa. I believe it's all the stupid California rules. Same reason we have horrible gas cans.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote