Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-28-2015, 05:30 PM   #1

running the refrigerator while traveling

On our Seneca the refrig can run on AC power (gen or line) or propane. What do you do while traveling if you are not running the gen? Is there any risk to using the propane to power the refrig while driving?

Thanks,
Old 08-28-2015, 05:36 PM   #2

Ran the fridge on propane while on the road for 38 years, TT's, FW 's and MH's
Old 08-28-2015, 05:41 PM   #3

I hate agreeing with anyone who is Grumpy, but this time I will!

That reminds me of the time I got into an accident with my company delivery van many years ago. The driver of the other vehicle got out and I will admit, I was surprised that he was a midget!

He looked up at me and said, "young man, I'm not happy!"

I looked down to him and replied, "oh? Which one are you?"

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by murff View Post
that reminds me of the time i got into an accident with my company delivery van many years ago. The driver of the other vehicle got out and i will admit, i was surprised that he was a midget!

He looked up at me and said, "young man, i'm not happy!"

i looked down to him and replied, "oh? Which one are you?"

murff
Love it
Old 08-28-2015, 06:13 PM   #5

Thanks Grumpy!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:33 PM   #6

No problem!
Mwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:17 PM   #7

We run it on propane too. Furthest trip was MD to FL this past January and there were no issues. We run to PA and southern VA as well and it has been fine...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:31 PM   #8
Site Team

Always run it on propane. That is what one reason it is designed for.

Many feel squeamish doing it and I say , if you are then don't run it or turn it off when you refuel.

I would definitely NOT run the genny just for the fridge.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:47 PM   #9

There are a few posts regarding safe practices with this being a hugely debated topic.

Your choice. Your risk.

Check the laws of the states you are traveling in or through. Some states have laws like propane bottles must be closed while traveling in tunnels. A couple states say propane bottles must be in the closed position.

Some people can pull up evidence of RV fires caused or exacerbated by running a propane appliance while traveling.

Personally I do not run the propane while driving. Also, check on your rigs refer unit. Many of them produced today run in three modes. 120AC (shore power/genny), propane, and 12VDC. Be aware, while RV refers always have a 12VDC draw to sense and ignite the propane when it is on, the specific models which actually run on 12VDC are set up to run only when the TV or main engine is running and will continue to run on 12VDC only for 20 to 30 minutes and then shut off to save on batteries. This allows for time to get things set up and changed over to propane or AC.

I have traveled up to 10 hours without my refrigerator turned on and when I stopped and turned on the propane or plugged into electric power, the frozen things were still frozen and the main compartment was still well sufficiently cool to maintain the freshness of food.

Apologies in advance for being a bit snarky, but, for those who have traveled with propane on and running a refer while traveling for years and never had a problem. I used to also, but I figure my family is not worth unnecessary risks.
Just because someone has always done something a certain way doesn't mean its always a good and safe way to do things.

Mom, always threw a chicken on the counter to thaw in the open air all day. Never had a problem for 30 years. Till that one time when the family got food poisoning from the chicken....
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post

Some people can pull up evidence of RV fires caused or exacerbated by running a propane appliance while traveling.
No way.

Other than the obvious turning it off while re-fueling, you are way less likely to have a problem running the propane while moving than you are by using it when stationary.

Propane is heavier than air so it "pools" if you have a leak. Sitting in a campground with no breeze to push away the propane vapour pooling from a leak would be infinitely worse than driving down the road with the same leak (ie. with the wind dissipating any leaking vapours).

Now from a "being in an accident perspective" I'd certainly rather have the propane shut off.

Visited in our 2011 Greyhawk 31DS
busguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:56 PM   #11

Makes me wonder what owners do that use propane to run their engines.
Mwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:47 PM   #12

Propane will only burn when mixed with air at a rate of 2.15% to 9.6% . Above or below that it will not ignite. Also in an accident and a ruptured line the safety in the tank will shut down the flow. Probably safer than your gas tank on your vehicle in my HO..

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 07:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Always run it on propane. That is what one reason it is designed for.

Many feel squeamish doing it and I say , if you are then don't run it or turn it off when you refuel.

I would definitely NOT run the genny just for the fridge.
Ditto, been traveling with the reefer operating on LP for 36 yrs. in pop-ups, fifth wheels and motorhome with no problems!
2006 Granite Ridge 2900GS
2015 Montana High Country 345RL
cdrcos@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:03 AM   #14

I run on propane. My grandfather has run on propane in his motor homes for 30 years. I would rather do that then risk spoiling the food.

Last summer when driving back from Florida with our old pop up, I was one of the first people to stop at a wreck involving a truck and camper that had rolled over. After checking on the driver and passenger, I went back to the tongue of the trailer and checked the propane tanks. Even though the trailer was on it's side, I was impressed to find that the tanks were both still in the brackets. I turned both tanks off at the valves. I never did smell any propane to indicate there was a leak. Now I do not know if they had the fridge running on propane, but there was no fire or major leak. I am not saying that it is not possible, but in a similar situation I would be more worried about the gasoline in the truck, the loose 5 gallon propane tank in the back of the truck, the 1lb propane bottles loose in the storage compartment, and the jug of charcoal lighter also in the storage compartment.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:13 AM   #15

we always travel while on propane also. Food safety is a huge deal and can ruin your trip if you and the rest of the family are sick because your refrigerated items were not kept at the proper temperature.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:13 AM   #16

Both Dometic and Norcold reps state that over a 6 to 8 hour period (depending on climate), there should be less than a 4 degree loss of temperature in freezer or refrigerator. With my old 5'er, I had traveled from Carson City, Nevada to Tuscon, Arizona in temps ranging from 97 to 105, without my refer running and still had ice cubes in the trays when I got there. That was a 1988 5'er. The refers have gotten better since then.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:42 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwade View Post
Makes me wonder what owners do that use propane to run their engines.
Or CNG (compressed naturual gas) there is numerous large refueling stations along I-65 in N Indiana just for trucks using CNG. You also see other fleets especially buses in metro areas that run on it.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:30 AM   #18

Engines which run propane or CNG are internal combustion engines. The fuel air mixture is introduced to the cylinder and the valves close the mixture is ignited pushing the piston down.... etc. and so on. Meanwhile a refrigerator and/or water heater on an RV has an open flame chamber with open air venting. Open your covers up and you can see the pilot light (or on new models the igniter) and when it is running there is an area where you can see the flame.

The chances of a fire or problem when driving and running a refrigerator are extremely slim. I have done it on my older rigs, my father has done it on his older rigs. However, there is still a "chance" however slim, that something can happen.
Still that chance is enough that in the industry manufacturers have issued warnings against it, lawyers for the corporations have issued warnings and statements against it. Some states have written laws against it. Now common sense tells me these steps happened BECAUSE, at some point, some where, sometime, something happened and that CHANCE became a sickening reality.
In the end, all we can do here is offer advice and feedback on our practices. It becomes a personal choice and a personal responsibility.
I don't do it. Honestly, about half the reason is the safety factor, and half is because time and experience has taught me; literally, there is no need. The added plus is that when I travel, it is one less thing I have to look up and be aware of; whether it is against the law in the state I am traveling.
Old 08-29-2015, 02:20 PM   #19

Well said NVGun40. I would add that in cold weather when you also use propane to heat, it disappears very quickly. Some CG's that we have stayed at do not have propane available or do not allow refilling at your site. If you have a TT or 5er that's no big deal as you an remove your tanks. With the Seneca and former class A that was not an option. Besides the reasons you stated, I want to conserve my propane and would like to have the capability to run fridge off the inverter.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 02:38 PM   #20

Does the frog pull too many amps to run off the inverter?