Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-03-2016, 07:39 PM   #1

Sanitize black tank

Hi, we are camping at a State Park in Northern Michigan this weekend. The water at the dump station is capped off for the winter, the dump hole (sewer) is still usable. Am I able to rinse / sanitize tank with the water pump? I guess I should mention that it is a2015 29 ME. Any help would be appreciated.
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:25 PM   #2

Add water through the commode and add whatever you use if anything in the black water tank for smell reduction. I don't think you can ever truly sanitize a black water tank.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 06:33 PM   #3

You can certainly rinse the blank tank. Before I had the new RV with a flush, I used to fill a few gallon jugs and dump them into the toilet to rinse.

While I don't think I'd do this at a campsite, I did "sanitize" the black tank on the used RV we bough by pouring in a bleach/water solution and letting it sit for several hours.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 01:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman View Post
Hi, we are camping at a State Park in Northern Michigan this weekend. The water at the dump station is capped off for the winter, the dump hole (sewer) is still usable. Am I able to rinse / sanitize tank with the water pump? I guess I should mention that it is a2015 29 ME. Any help would be appreciated.
Hey Bobman, I drive the 29Me as well. I don't think you can use your black tank flush feature using the water pump. The flush requires the external hook up as well as needing more water pressure then I think the pump is capable of generating.

As others mentioned you will be stuck with filling the black tank the old fashioned way, Fill the bowl...Flush...Repeat, and then dumping it. If this is your final stop before winterizing, definitely consider adding whatever "Green" chemical you use to break up the tanks solid contents and maybe drive around the campground a few times before heading to the dump station.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 05:55 AM   #5

We wash dishes in a plastic pan in the sink and then pour the soapy water into the toilet. It not only helps keep the grey tank from filling up as fast, but the extra soapy water helps empty the black tank when when I dump it.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 07:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Roamer View Post
We wash dishes in a plastic pan in the sink and then pour the soapy water into the toilet. It not only helps keep the grey tank from filling up as fast, but the extra soapy water helps empty the black tank when when I dump it.
x2
We have done the same with all our motorhomes over the years. There's nothing worse than a full grey tank midway through a stay. It always backs up in the shower first as the lowest point of the system.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:10 AM   #7

We have a valve built in to our Seneca at the connection to the dump connection for both grey and black tank. (We added one to our last 2 trailers, you can pick up the valves up at most camping stores. Sold as an emergency repair valve.)

Anyway, we dump black, close this main valve and then open grey to back flood black tank. Then open main valve to drain whole system. Creates a vacuum that drains everything, sometimes even sucking water out of traps. So be sure to run all faucettes to refill traps in sinks and shower. Works great!

Also found on our Seneca that shower hose is just long enough to reach cammode. We fill toilet bowl a couple of times if we've been sitting a long time to prevent the "TP Pyramid".

Works great!
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:14 AM   #8
Site Team

When we last replaced our rv commode, we opted for the spray attachment for an extra $10 bucks.

I can't believe how handy it is for rinsing and filling the commode for cleaning, etc.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 06:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
When we last replaced our rv commode, we opted for the spray attachment for an extra $10 bucks.

I can't believe how handy it is for rinsing and filling the commode for cleaning, etc.
Had that in our Arctic Fox 30U. Yes, one handy item.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote