Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-12-2015, 08:01 AM   #1

Satellite TV

This may have been asked already but if it has I can't find it.

Our Seneca papers say it is satellite ready. So my question is, do we still need a satellite dish or just a receiver box hooked up to the TV? Someone told us just the receiver box and that was all we needed in an older motorhome we use to own. All we did was take one from our home when we went out, hooked it up and we were good to go with no extra cost. Can we do that with our Seneca or do we need to buy a dish?
2JayBirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:09 AM   #2

You need a dish.

djalbrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:14 AM   #3

Ok, thanks. But I know for a fact that the old rv did not have a specific dish for Satalite TV like Dish Network or Direct TV. Can't remember what type antenna it had but all we did was hook up our receiver and it worked.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:21 AM   #4

Sat ready means the wiring is in the roof so the dish can be installed without running wires. If you bought a unit off the lot and did not order it possibly the dish is already on the roof since it was an option and many dealers order it on stock unts. The dish that JAYCO provides is pre-set for Direct TV, but there are dip switches in side the dish unit that can be changed so you can use a DISH NETWORK receiver.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:29 AM   #5

i use a dish tailgater and hook it up through my cable in ,on outside of motorhome, i use my dish receiver from inside my house in motorhome (no extra charge), i have had sat ready units and they require a dish, the tailgater can be used anywhere even out on your patio at home, i have used this on many trailers and motorhomes, even lend it to my friends, most campgrounds you are seeing more of them everywhere , bought mine at camping world but most rv dealers have them, roughy 300, finds channels automatically
walkingeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:00 AM   #6

That might be even better. All in for something that works but saves money too. Thanks.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:34 AM   #7

Walkingeagle

If I get a tailgater hooked up to my cable and get the 211Z receiver, can I get different channels on my three TVs?

Bob
2015 Equinox, Blue Ox Avanta LX
Bobs A Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:25 PM   #8

probably not, call dish they will know for sure and they have great customer service, i use my home receiver actually is 2 for one price , i have a vip211k which works fine, again check with dish and find out which units work on the tailgater, keep warm, not sorry i moved from illinois 20 years ago
walkingeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobs C Class View Post
If I get a tailgater hooked up to my cable and get the 211Z receiver, can I get different channels on my three TVs?

Bob
No, the 211Z is a single tuner receiver. Additionally, it is only HDMI and Composite output, there's no RF to feed to other TV's.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:44 AM   #10

Well talked to my husband again last night about this. Turns out our Seneca is not just Satellite Ready, it already has an In-Motion Satallite Dish installed on the roof. So looks like all we need to do is use a receiver from our home and we are set to go. Will be taking it to our dealer to gave a few things taken care of so will verify this with them while there. Thanks everyone for your advise.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:42 AM   #11

How about this. Just got my new 2015 Seneca RB which had in motion satellite already installed. Needed to move boxes(receivers) from old Greyhawk to new Seneca. Have no idea what prompted me to do this but I called Direct TV. Guess what? They come out and do it for free and treat it like a move from your current house to new house. That means they give you all of the perks along with the free installation(free NFL Sunday Ticket, new genies , free 3 months Showtime etc.
Howard1 is offline   Reply With Quote