Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-06-2016, 09:08 PM   #1

Satellite tv help needed

Hello,
I have a 2016 Seneca 37TS. Just installed a Dish VIP 211z receiver. The satellite antennae came with the vehicle, on the roof. Never used satellite tv before so started from scratch.
After going through all the steps, hurdles and troubleshooting was able to get it to work. The main cab tv works great but I can not get the bedroom tv to work. It haS received cable and antennae tv in the bedroom but not the satellite yet. I am sure it a simple step I am missing but I can't figure it out.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks
2012 Ford F-350 Dually
rollon52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:14 PM   #2

Is the bedroom TV connected to the satellite receiver?
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:18 PM   #3

Not sure what additional setup is needed. Cable was there. I saw a USB connection on the wall and connected the cable from there to the only one on the back of the tv with no luck.
2012 Ford F-350 Dually
Old 11-06-2016, 09:29 PM   #4

Are you trying to feed both TVs with the one receiver and they will both show the same channel?
The Dish 211z only includes one tuner in the box and the HDMI or cable output could be split but two or more TVs would not be able to show different channels.
The Dish 222k includes two tuners in the box for two independent TVs and channels.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:38 PM   #5

One receiver that will show the same programming on two sets is what I expected. I only have one receiving and one with a blue screen.
2012 Ford F-350 Dually
Old 11-07-2016, 05:26 AM   #6

Jayco was able to send me a complete PDF of the cabling for my 2014 Seneca 37FS. Try calling their tech support for one. If your is like mine, I cannot get sat to other TVs without adding an RF modulator in the coax line. I have that but have not had a chance to install. It would be as you said...same SAT signal to all three TVs. (I have teh same Sat Box / Service as you.)
tjbroussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:54 AM   #7

You need the 211k receiver instead of the 211z receiver.

The 211k has an HDMI output for your main TV, and also a coax output you can connect to the rest of the camper.

The 211z has the HDMI output only.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollon52 View Post
Hello,
I have a 2016 Seneca 37TS. Just installed a Dish VIP 211z receiver. The satellite antennae came with the vehicle, on the roof. Never used satellite tv before so started from scratch.
After going through all the steps, hurdles and troubleshooting was able to get it to work. The main cab tv works great but I can not get the bedroom tv to work. It haS received cable and antennae tv in the bedroom but not the satellite yet. I am sure it a simple step I am missing but I can't figure it out.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks
You probably have the main tv connected to Sat via an HDMI cable running from the back of the 211z. The other tvs are probably connected to the coach coax and feeds signal from the roof ant or the coach cable connection.

211z is agreat receiver [I have 3] but for whatever reason Dish chose to not put a coax tv output jack on the 211z. The 211k [older model] had a coax output and that allowed you to plug the coach coax to the receiver output.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:51 AM   #9

Thanks for all the input. I have one working well and that is plenty. I appreciate all the help!
2012 Ford F-350 Dually
Old 11-07-2016, 12:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks for all the input. I have one working well and that is plenty. I appreciate all the help!
You might want to add a 2nd receiver with the 2nd feeding the bedroom TV. I have 2 and it makes for a happy wife when I'm watching Gold Rush and she wants a girlly show. Another hint. You can turn your 211z into a DVR that functions right off your Dish remote. All you need is a $50 portable harddrive about the size of a small smartfone that plugs into the usb on the receiver. A call to Dish to activate the feature and a one time $40 and you have a DVR with no monthly dvr fee. Works just like any other Dish dvr and extends recording feature to your RV.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:55 PM   #11

Do you have to pay any additional cost for the second receiver, per month? Also, I know there is a second connection to the antennae in the cab, how do you connect the bedroom receiver to the satellite connection that is in the front?
2012 Ford F-350 Dually
Old 11-07-2016, 04:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Do you have to pay any additional cost for the second receiver, per month? Also, I know there is a second connection to the antennae in the cab, how do you connect the bedroom receiver to the satellite connection that is in the front?
Typically they charge an additional $7/month for each receiver on the account, based on your negotiation skills. But don't pay the $40 for the one time DVR activation as mentioned previously. Ask for the customer retention department when you call and insist that they comp the charge.

To connect two receivers to a single dish you would need a multiswitch and a dish with two LNBs.

P.S. If you are determined to connect two TVs and each with their own channel selections ditch the 211z receiver and get a 222k. One receiver, one charge, one dish!
Old 11-07-2016, 08:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarkl View Post
Typically they charge an additional $7/month for each receiver on the account, based on your negotiation skills. But don't pay the $40 for the one time DVR activation as mentioned previously. Ask for the customer retention department when you call and insist that they comp the charge.

To connect two receivers to a single dish you would need a multiswitch and a dish with two LNBs.

P.S. If you are determined to connect two TVs and each with their own channel selections ditch the 211z receiver and get a 222k. One receiver, one charge, one dish!
The problem with a dual receiver [222k] is getting HD all the way back to the bedroom tv. Using coax the HD will be disappointing. Dish does charge $7 for each extra receiver but you can deactivate the extra receiver when you are not using it for a while but I keep my 2 211z's activate all year, and use the #2 tv in our master bedroom at the house.

A dish turbo HD dish will support several direct feeds to multi receivers, just run a separate coax from the dish to each receiver. I added a thru the wall coax connector that is the same as the oem one that allows you to connect the 2nd input coax. Its only a few $$$ on Amazon.

Depending on your history with Dish you can get them to pass on extras if you threaten to leave. As an example when Dish dropped Fox News for several weeks in a contract dispute. After I raise hell, they gave me a $10 credit for 6 months. I've been with Dish for over 10 years and when they upgraded me to HD several years ago they replaced the dish at my house and gave me 3 additional units for the camper set up in my back yard, one for my Houseboat, and a 3d for my portable tripod dish. They also left me with extra lmbs for both eastern and western arc satilites. That all came from the installer they sent to my home to do the HD upgrade. Installers can be your friend if you are nice to them.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:33 PM   #14

In my 37FS the coax that is built in is tied to the OTA Antenna. The Winnguard has the LNB1 and 2 up by the main tv as well as the on switch. There is no LNB connections to the back of the coach. However to get it to do what you want to do, instead of going directly from the Dish receiver to the TV, go out of the receiver and then into the HDMI splitter. From the splitter you can pick the source for each TV...just put both TV's on the Sat source. This will do the same image on both TV's. Now if you get the 222, you can dump both tuner outputs to the HDMI splitter on different inputs and then select one of the inputs for the main tv and a different input for the back TV. Also note that the splitter is connected to the outside TV as well so you should be able to watch either tuner from there too.
RyRoRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:00 AM   #15

The HDMI cables are the key to good pictures and making the whole system tie together. Took my son in law to make this all happen for us. That's why the HDMI box is included.

If hooked up to camp ground system or on independent on attached satellite dish to get out from under the trees, you change coax at the receiver box.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote