Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #1

SeeLevel Guages

As probably is the case with most, if not all, you are unhappy with the gauges that show the levels in your tanks. I have read up on the SeeLevel gauges and I wonder is anyone has installed them in a Jayco. Particularly a Grayhawk. I can't find how to get to the probes or sensors. I know that there is a way but I just can't find it. Any help? TIA
2017Jayco Precept
towing a 2007 Honda CR-V
ChuckD37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #2

I installed SeeLevel gauges on my fifth wheel - definitely not the same as your Greyhawk but the installation principles will likely be the same. The gauge kits come with excellent instructions which are somewhat complex but well explained.

SeeLevel gauges use a self-adhesive sensor applied to the outside of each tank. One wire can connect several sensors and carry the digital coded signals to the monitor panel. Each sensor must have the same ground plane as each other sensor and the monitor panel. You can use your existing probe wiring if you want, but be careful that the grounds are all the same; do not just ground to the frame, run a dedicated ground wire to the trailer DC ground buss. I gained access to the tanks from underneath by removing the coroplast bottom.

My trailer had a single panel with the probe sensor lights and switches for the pump, hot water electric and hot water heater LPG. If you plan to put the SeeLevel monitor panel in the same place, you'll may to figure out how to handle the switches (since on my trailer they were part of the tank monitoring panel). What I did was to cut off the un-needed probe monitoring lights, then closed up the remaining part of the old panel that had the water heater and pump switches and attached the SeeLevel gauges above it.

Here's a link to a post about my install: SeeLevel
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #3

Thanks RVHiker, guess I will have to dig a little deeper to find the tanks. Do you like the way they work? I boondock quite a bit and hate guessing the level. Sometime we have a panic dump and find we didn't need to rush and other times, OPPS, water in the shower (which is not a good thing). Thanks for the reply..
2017Jayco Precept
towing a 2007 Honda CR-V
Old 04-19-2013, 04:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD37 View Post
Thanks RVHiker, guess I will have to dig a little deeper to find the tanks. Do you like the way they work? I boondock quite a bit and hate guessing the level. Sometime we have a panic dump and find we didn't need to rush and other times, OPPS, water in the shower (which is not a good thing). Thanks for the reply..
Yes, I like the way the gauges work and they work well; like you, boondocking was our primary need for accurate level readings. Our sensors read every 8% - so if a level reading on a tank is, say, 16% you know that the level is between 16% and 24%. The earlier posting I referenced mentions the size of the "puddle" before the sensors begin to take readings; but from the "puddle" on up, the readings are reliable and accurate. You might want to check into the new design sensors that SeeLevel has for "short" tanks which packs more level sense readings onto a sensor into a shorter package as those should give level readings in smaller increments. And read the install directions very carefully.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:57 AM   #5

Not sure if this will help, I have a 2012 Greyhawk and the fresh water probes/tank can be accessed from a panel in the rear driver side wheel well. The panel is toward the frame and is made of sheet metal attached with some screws. It came off while going down the highway one trip after the fresh water drain line was "repaired" by the dealer. I never did get it back but it was replaced when the dealer finally replaced the tank. I am not sure about the gray or black tanks, I have not dug into looking at those yet.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #6

Well, I have found a couple of things. The guy at Jayco didn't know what he was talking about. Said I could get to the tanks from under the RV. NOT!!! Next, the tanks are behind the Utility Control Board in the same basement compartment AND There is no way to get to them. Which I think is dumb. So guess I have to keep guessing...
2017Jayco Precept
towing a 2007 Honda CR-V